Golf Shoe FAQs
When it comes to golf shoes, there are different types to be aware of. The two main types of golf shoes you can pick between include:
- Spiked golf shoes: Golf shoes with spikes are the traditional golf shoes you may be familiar with. These types of golf shoes feature plastic or metal spikes that help ground you and provide traction. Today, most spiked golf shoes are made with plastic spikes, as many courses have outlawed metal spikes that are known for damaging greens.
- Spikeless golf shoes: Spikeless golf shoes don’t feature spikes on the bottom of the shoe. While they are less common, brands have made vast improvements to increase traction and stability without the need for spikes, which is increasing their popularity.
If you’re deciding between spiked and spikeless golf shoes, it ultimately comes down to preference. However, if you regularly play in wetter conditions, spiked golf shoes are recommended. Regardless of the type you choose, it’s important to take care of them properly to maintain their traction and increase their longevity. This means storing them in a golf shoe bag and cleaning them regularly.
The best golf shoes are made from high-quality, durable materials. Materials that golf shoes can be made of include:
- Leather: The most common golf shoe material is leather, which is highly durable, stable, stretch-free, and comfortable. The quality of leather can range depending on the brand, so do your due diligence and read reviews and product specs.
- Synthetic: A more affordable option for leather is synthetic materials, such as polyester. Because golf shoes made from man-made fibers are less expensive, the quality can be lower. This means the golf shoe may be more prone to stretching, ripping, or having limited breathability over a period of time.
- Waterproof: Some golf shoes can come with a waterproof lining called GORE-TEX, which ensures no water permeates the shoe. Golf shoes made from this material are great for golfers playing in wetter conditions.
Similar to golf apparel, there are certain qualities to look for in a golf shoe to ensure you bring home a durable and long-lasting shoe. Whether you’re creating a custom golf shoe or buying a men’s or women’s golf shoe, here’s what to look for:
- Breathability: Your feet expend a lot of heat, which can be uncomfortable when out on the course. To stay cool and comfortable, choose golf shoes made from breathable materials like leather.
- Durability: You can walk up to five miles during a single round of golf, which means you need shoes that can support you from hole to hole. Shop for the best golf shoes from high-quality brands that create shoes with durable materials.
- Size: A golf shoe in the wrong size can leave blisters and calluses. To prevent this, take the time to measure your foot properly to ensure the correct size. You can use a shoe fitting guide to help you get the perfect fit.