Golf Shoes for Men FAQs
There are countless men’s golf shoes on the market from various brands, which can make choosing the right pair a challenge. To find the best men’s golf shoes, it’s important to know the different types. Golf shoes can come in two different types, spiked and spikeless:
- Spiked golf shoes: Spiked golf shoes can feature plastic or metal spikes, with plastic spikes more common as clubhouses are banning metal spikes for the damage they cause to the course. Spiked men’s golf shoes are often preferred by most golfers, as they offer excellent traction and grip on the course and in wet conditions.
- Spikeless golf shoes: Brands have made great improvements to spikeless golf shoes over the years to make them compete with the traction and grip spikeless golf shoes offer. Spikeless men’s golf shoes typically feature an outsole with rubber lugs to help stabilize golfers during their swing.
The type of men’s golf shoe you choose comes down to your personal preference. Regardless of the shoe you choose, it’s important to keep them protected by storing them in a golf shoe bag and cleaning them regularly to increase its longevity.
The best men’s golf shoes will keep you comfortable no matter how intense your game of golf gets. You can walk several miles during a single round of golf, which means you need golf shoes that have all the right features. The best golf shoes for men will be:
- Breathable: Your feet can warm up on the course, which means you need a pair of men’s golf shoes that are made from breathable materials with adequate airflow and moisture-wicking properties like leather.
- Supportive: Golf shoes should also be supportive, with plenty of cushioning and stability to keep you planted firmly on the green during each stroke.
- The right size: To avoid blisters, calluses, and moving around in your shoe, you need to ensure you’re playing in the right size. Use a shoe fitting guide to ensure you find the perfect fit for your golf shoe.
- Stylish: Your golf shoes should also speak to who you are. The best shoes for playing golf will match your style, so shop for shoes in different styles and colors to match your game-day look.
The overall fit of your golf shoes directly impacts your comfort, stability, and performance. Poor-fitting golf shoes can lead to discomfort that can lead to blisters and instability during your swing. However, there are several considerations to make when choosing the right size. Here’s how to ensure you lace up in a perfectly fitting pair of golf shoes:
- Toe space: Your toes should have enough room in the toe box to move around and splay naturally, allowing you to get a firm stance during your golf swing. While a snug fit is important, ensure there is some space at the top of the shoe to prevent blisters and toenail problems. As a general rule, having a thumb’s width of space between your longest toe and the end of the shoe is recommended.
- Width: Another consideration is the width of the shoe. At FootJoy, you can shop for men’s golf shoes in several widths, including narrow, medium, wide, and extra wide, allowing players with various foot sizes to find a fit that works for them.
- Heel fit: Your shoe should allow your entire foot to remain secured. If your heel slips out of your golf shoes, it can result in blisters and instability.
- Socks: It can be easy to overlook the role socks play in your performance on the course. When trying on a pair of men’s golfing shoes, wear a pair of golf socks, as different sock thicknesses can affect how a shoe fits.
At FootJoy, we pride ourselves on our ability to create world-class golf shoes for men that are not only performance-boosting but stylish and comfortable. Our men’s golf shoes offer various types of cushioning and support, with exceptional attention to detail to create an unparalleled experience.
In most of our men’s golf shoes, you’ll find an OrthoLite EcoPlush Fit-Bed® to provide all-day underfoot comfort without losing its form or function for the life of the shoe. Other models might feature Stratofoam, a shock-absorbing cushioning system that returns energy with every step. Additionally, several styles come with a VersaTrax+ outsole that keeps traction in mind to support you on any lie or angle, or FTF+, which adds stability and control throughout your swing.
To see how each FootJoy golf shoe performs, refer to their product page to see how they can offer support and cushioning throughout your time on the course.
The cadence for replacing your golf shoes depends on how often you play. A general rule of thumb is to replace your golf shoes every 15-20 rounds. This is because golf shoes can break down and stretch over time, providing less support and structure needed to play efficiently. Whether you’re buying custom golf shoes or a traditional pair, make sure to clean and care for them regularly to increase their lifespan.
Each clubhouse and golf course has its own dress code, which can make choosing the right golf shoe challenging. At FootJoy, we carry various styles of men’s golf shoes to add to your collection, including:
- Traditional golf shoes: Our line of traditional golf shoes are constructed from leather, resembling oxfords or loafers, that are suitable for a more formal dress code thanks to their clean and polished look.
- Athletic golf shoes: A pair of athletic golf shoes don a sportier look for more business casual dress codes, with mesh panels and modern styling.
- Casual golf shoes: Casual golf shoes resemble everyday sneakers or lifestyle shoes, designed with a more contemporary look that’s suitable for both on-course and off-course wear for courses with a more relaxed dress code.