#1 SHOE IN GOLF           #1 GLOVE IN GOLF
FREE STANDARD SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS $149+

Shoe Fit

Shoe Fit

•  

I was checking out some articles on proper shoe fitting and thought I would share some of the info. I was particularly interested in proper fitting in the heel and slippage, so I copied some of that information below. 

Don’t Buy That Shoe Unless It Slips At The Heel!
    Sounds like the wrong advice, doesn’t it? In many cases, though, it is not. If you have a flexible, pronated, or loose-jointed foot, a properly fitted shoe will tend to slip at the heel. This is particularly true until the shoe conforms to your foot. 
          When a person with this foot type has their weight on their foot, their arch rolls downward, their instep is lowered and their heel moves forward, away from the heel counter. Since the foot has moved away from the parts of the shoe that secures the heel, the shoe slips when you lift your foot.
          Millions of people with this foot type mistakenly fit themselves too short to hold their foot back in the heel of the shoe because they assume that any shoe that slips in the heel is too big. Consequently, they develop or exacerbate foot problems by jamming their feet into shoes that are too small. This is often evidenced by bunions, calluses, neuromas or pressure spots on the toes.
          Don’t do it! Listen to your fitter. We are fitting you into the size that is best for your foot and will not fit your heel at the expense of the rest of your foot. Take care of your feet, you only get one pair!

A properly fitted shoe may slip on the heel slightly when new.  Because soles on new shoes are often stiff and resist bending of the foot, heel slippage may occur.  Loose heel slippage cannot hurt your feet.  Tight slippage can cause blisters.  Backpart fit should be snug but not over tight.  As the outsoles flex and "break-in", small initial amounts of slipping at the heel should disappear. Going to a smaller size to eliminate ALL initial heel slipping can result in a fit that is just too tight.

10 Points of Proper Shoe Fit

1. Buy fit, not size. Sizes vary among brands and styles so don’t be wedded to a particular size.
    2. Buy the type of shoe that is made for the use intended. A dress shoe means one thing, a shoe for standing all day means another. A shoe for walking is a different matter.
    3. Select the shoe that is designed to support and fit your particular foot type. Flexible/pronated feet require a different fitting strategy than rigid/supinated feet. Your fitter may have to help you with this.
    4. Have both feet measured and fit the larger foot (remember length and width).
    5. Have your new shoe fit with the particular socks, hosiery, or stockings that you intend to wear them with.
    6. Heel slip does not always mean that the shoe is too big. It may mean that you have a flexible foot. Ask your fitter for more information.
    7. When standing you should usually have 3/8” to 1/2” from your longest toe to the end of the shoe. Remember that your big toe may not be your longest toe.
    8. Choose styles that conform as nearly as possible to the shape of your foot. If you have a wide and/or square-shaped foot, pressure on the 5th toe (little toe) can be more important for fit than fitting the big toe.
    9. Shoes should feel good when you buy them. Don’t buy uncomfortable shoes hoping they will break in and feel good later.
    10. Take your time buying a new pair of shoes. Walk around the store and listen to your feet. Ask for a salesperson who is professional and understands feet as well as shoes.

• 650 points

The reason I bought my first pair of DryJoys was the fit. FootJoy makes shoes in the "WIDE" catagory, so very hard to find. From buying DryJoys because of the fit years ago, i have contunied to be loyal because the quality of the shoe is so great ! really, the comfort, fit, durablity, are most important to me and that is why a few years ago i designed my own DryJoys with the logo i wanted on the heel. so cool. I just want to say thanks FootJoy for the shoes that fit right !

•  

Great bit of info. That is one of the best articles on shoe fitting I have read. I always have mine fitted to my arch length and width. It really makes a difference.

•  

Memphis

This is a very good piece of information. You should cite the source in case anyone wants to look into their proper fitting more.

Thanks

•  

Here are a few of the pages that I read:

http://murraysshoes.com/shoefit.htm

http://www.richeyandco.com/html/whenshoefits.html

http://www.comfortshoe.com/articles/shoefit.html

• 368 points

The first 3 pairs of FootJoy shoes I purchased I got the same size as I normally wear in Athletic shoes. Turns out that Golf shoes don't fit the same and I have since learned that the best way to buy the correct size golf shoe is to get measured properly. My older footJoy shoes are size 9-1/2 Wide, while my new DryJoy Tour shoes are size 11M. Amazing what getting the correct size will do for your feet. The older size 9-1/2 Wide shoes FEEL GREAT just walking around, but after 9 holes of golf walking the course they hurt and after 18 holes I can't wait to get them off. The new DryJoy Tours size 11M don't hurt my feet at all. If I could only exchange my first 3 pair of FootJoy shoes for the correct size it would be great.

• 448 points

This Article is very helpful. Thanks for putting this info out there.

• 448 points

A 9 1/2 to an 11m seems like a really big size difference I wear a 9 1/2 normally and I'm looking into getting a pair of the Icons, do FJ's run small ?

•  

I got my two pairs of Icons in the same size I usually wear (9M) and have not noticed any problems with them.  As always, it depends on your feet and getting properly fit is the best way to determine which size is correct.

•  

Hi AAron,

First of all, Welcome to the club!

To answer your question: No, all the FJ shoes generally fit the buyer to the tee :) My FJ's are the same size as any of my dress shoes and sneakers.

I have seen over the years that you may see some fluctuation in sizes, such as in the swoosh brand and a few others. However when you put on a pair of properly fitted FJ's,  it isn't even a fair comparison in comfort and stability.

Rule of thumb, always try on a pair to make sure before your purchase them to make sure they fit your feet. The #1 goal is comfort and stability.

Thanks

Tim

•  

I've found that my shoe size differs between brands and styles.  I may wear one size in FJ golf shoes, another in Bostonian dress shoes, another in Clarks or Johnston and Murphy casuals, etc, etc.   I will say that, typically, I've found that I usually have to get one size down in FJs than my other shoes.  

I agree with Tim's comment.  They key is to try them on and get a proper fit for the brand and style. 

• 8 points

Have new pro sl carbons and no matter what, socks will not stay up. Shoes fit, feel great but socks slide. Call customer service this week, disappointed with attitude and helpfulness. I purchased me FJ tan sock a and still no luck . Have never had this problem before but if I can?t solve soon will have to ditch these shoes Help!