Spikes to Soft Spikes?

Spikes to Soft Spikes?

•  

I have seen some great Vintage shoes on ebay but they have the metal spikes. Are they hard to change? Has anyone tried this?  

•  

They are no problem at all. Depending on the the type of attachment to the shoe, ie; metal screw or trilock system, they can be changed out to either Black Widow cleats or to Champ cleats. Both come in trilock and screw type attachment. I suggest that you get a spike tool at WalMart that is easy to use and quite inexpensive. They run around ten dollars and have two attachments for removing and installing spikes.

• 1565 points

When I replaced the metal in my old (but still like new) FJ classics, I made the mistake of getting Dunlop spikes that had 6 arms per spike.  With 11 spikes per show they cover a good size area but most aggravating is they collect and clog easily.

I'm going to swith to the Champs as they only have 3 arms per spike which I hope will alleviste the constant need to clean spikes during play.

•  

MG

I see those on there as well. You can very easily change the spikes out on these. I have found that the majority of the "vintage" items have a traditional screw type spike. Softspike Black Widow has this same thread type to work perfectly. Unless I am crazy, there was only a single, i.e. one, type of metal screw in thread design. So any spike with that configuration will work.

Good luck on this search.

• 1565 points

I changed my FJ classics from steel to plastic about 1 year ago.

I'd go with the Champ spike ( 3 arms) on shoes that have 11 spikes per shoe because the don't  need brushing every 3-4 holes like other spikes with 4 or more arms.

You can't go wrong with older FJ shoes, they've always been the best shoe in golf

•  

Currently I use the Black Widow spiks and I have not tried the champs spikes.

Do you seem to get the same traction with the Champs? If so,  I need to change to those. I hate the buildup after about 4 holes with my current spikes.

Thanks

Tim

• 1750 points

I have found if the shoes are new, they are very easy to change.  Any small metal thread spike will work.  I have found the Softspikes Pulsar to work ok.  Even if the shoes & spikes clog up you can always buy a brush like the ProSoft Spike Brush.