#1 SHOE IN GOLF           #1 GLOVE IN GOLF
FREE STANDARD SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS $100+
SHIP STANDARD BY DEC 16 FOR HOLIDAY DELIVERY

I golfed in these conditions and temps.

I golfed in these conditions and temps.

•  

Many different threads have come and gone in our Community about playing golf in cold weather and bad conditions. I think we should use a thread like this one as a "home" thread to commiserate and compare our passion for golfing in all conditions. Of course our sponsor, FootJoy, makes it easy to play in all types of different conditions, be they cold, windy, rainy, or hot.

Here's an example: Todd (TNT) and I played Torrey Pines North a couple of weeks ago. Just before we started at 7:00 am, a dense fog rolled in, so thick you could not see where your ball would land. Of course everyone kept playing because it's golf. What we did was yell back an all clear when the guys behind us could safely hit their shots, and kept on going. It wasn't cold, about 65 degrees, just dense fog. The fog finally lifted on the 13th hole, that was fun, not! The only thing that was extra strange, was my tee shot on the par 3, 6th hole. We could not see the green at all and I thought my shot was a little short right. When we get to the green, I'm a foot from a hole in one. Surprise!

So if you'd like to, let's tell our stories of difficult or beautiful golfing days here on this thread for many years to come. What say you?

•  

that is a good story golferdrmjr

•  

i've played in some nasty weather (FJA at RICC anyone??) and so cold i actually shattered the golf ball when it froze.  i'm playing saturday morning.  highs are to get into the mid-50s, but that will be late in the day.  i'm expecting temps at tee-time to be around 40 or below.

•  

tdogg21
    i've played in some nasty weather (FJA at RICC anyone??) and so cold i actually shattered the golf ball when it froze.  i'm playing saturday morning.  highs are to get into the mid-50s, but that will be late in the day.  i'm expecting temps at tee-time to be around 40 or below.

When you get a chance after your round on Saturday, tee up the story of your weather conditions and anything else exciting here to share with the FJ Community.

Don

•  

Don! Great post buddy. And "oh so close" to that hole in one man...

Having lived in Chicago and Michigan I have played in every temperature and condition you can think of. Your story reminded me of a time at Half Moon Bay south of San Francisco, when a similar fog bank rolled in while I was on course.

I do remember a round at Hilton Head National, probably 1997-ish, when it started to rain on us. As the round progressed it rained even harder. Our group decided we were too far out on course to "turn back," so we played on. Hole number 17 is a short Par 3, over water, of about 130 yards. Picture this scene....

It's pouring rain. There's a fountain in the pond spraying water up in the air at about 70 yards... We are all soaked, wanting nothing more than to finish and get back inside. One of the guys teed it up. Took the swing. And as the ball sailed into the pond, right behind it went his 7 iron!  It was so crazy wet the club slipped right out of his hands!

At that point we said it was time to hang it up and we surrendered to the course!

•  

great story Tar Heel.  My uncle belongs to Half Moon Bay.  He must not like me too much because I have never received an invite to play.

•  

Another great idea, Don!   It would make it more organized as a related topic and have everyone share it in a thread.  I like it.  But I like your shot even better on that par 3, 6th.

There's a Challenge course up in the central coast of California, a 12 hole course with all par 3s.  We thought we'd play it as a warm up prior to playing the big course or what they call the Old Course.  We got to the course and it was foggy- thick dense fog-- still and quiet.  But it was almost funny to me and we chuckled about it hoping that it wouldn't be like so when we get to the big course.  For about 9 holes, the saying went, "I heard it on!" as the only indication that we hit the green and not water or some gorse area.  But no miracles or surprises, it cleared up and the closest one to the hole all day from our group was about 3 feet.

We also found out (or I did) that the laser optic range finders don't work very well at all in fog.  At times when we could see a silhouette of a flag, I'd get ready to shoot to see what the yardage are and I pretty much got "12.5 yards" reading on every hole.  (That was funny)

•  

Don, that fog was miserable, yet calming because you really didn't stress aim or technique.  RICC was also fun because everyone was wet, would have completed if it weren't for darn lightning break!

•  

Thanks No'l.  I hope everyone joins in and tells their stories of future rounds and even past rounds. FootJoy has given us this great Forum.  We might as well use it to its full potential.

•  

Such tales of a foggy day…. Now for another end of the spectrum.  One mid-October, a buddy and I played the sand 18 hole golf course in a country on the Persian Gulf.  Mind you, there are a few, stunted, "trees" on the course so there was occasional bits of shade.  Temperature was around 35 Celcius (95 F) when we started, and the high that day was 44 degrees Celcius (105 F)--officially, that is, because it never got hotter than that because the government would have had to send all the expatriate (mostly Pakistani) workers home if it did.  Actual temperature on the course was pushing 50 C (122 F). We both were walking and carrying, no carts or buggies.  On the 14th tee, my buddy collapsed from heat exhaustion.  We had each been drinking about a liter and a half of water every three holes, just to be safe.  Neither of us had a cell (mobile) phone, so I had to walk to the clubhouse to seek help.  No one I passed on the way had one either.  I got to the clubhouse and they sent me out with a driver in a pickup to pick up my buddy and bring him back to the clubhouse to re-hydrate and cool off.  I, of course, finished playing the 18 and met up with him in the clubhouse.  He was fine and back to normal, having drunk over four liters of water.  Just another day on the course.

•  

TNT009
    Don, that fog was miserable, yet calming because you really didn't stress aim or technique.  RICC was also fun because everyone was wet, would have completed if it weren't for darn lightning break!

We effectively did finish.  Hit the 18th fairway and green.  But that rain was miserable.  Wish I would have had the wet gloves the entire round.  Was still very enjoyable sharing drinks and cigars along with the stories.

TT

•  

Great Idea, Don ! Some good stories to boot.....Looking forward to more Golf-Tales and contributing. Here's to the starts of  'Golfing in all conditions" !

•  

OUTIGER
    TNT009Don, that fog was miserable, yet calming because you really didn't stress aim or technique.  RICC was also fun because everyone was wet, would have completed if it weren't for darn lightning break!

We effectively did finish.  Hit the 18th fairway and green.  But that rain was miserable.  Wish I would have had the wet gloves the entire round.  Was still very enjoyable sharing drinks and cigars along with the stories.

TT

unfortunately my group didn't finish.  we ran into a hole that was unplayable.  green was completely underwater.  (that and a couple other reasons) we headed back to the clubhouse.  but sitting on the porch talking and enjoying a few drinks was just as much fun.

•  

I was playing Old Head in Ireland.  We teed off and it was freezing, by the 5th or 6th hole it was warm, then hot, then about 11 the wind started to blow, around 14 it started to rain. On 17 seventeen it was coming down sideways, as we headed up 18 the sun came out and it was a beautiful day again. It was only my second round in Ireland and I thought that this must just be Irish golf.

• 467 points

Played in a pro am where we had all types of weather started as rain then sleet and few snow flurries and then the sun came out but never did get above 45