#1 SHOE IN GOLF           #1 GLOVE IN GOLF
FREE STANDARD SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS $149+

The Match- Observation and Whats Next

The Match- Observation and Whats Next

•  

Greetings all

I trust a great many of us spent some time over the long holiday weekend watching The Match II; Tiger/Peyton vs. Phil/Tom. Like everyone, I was incredibly bummed when the day dawned with monsoon like conditions, and continued to wash over the course of the days play. That added to the intrigue, as the boys played on in spite of the conditions.

Highs- The golf carts with cameras were incredible. The banter back and forth between the players and the commentators was crazy. Phil dissecting a chip shot was beyond head spinning. The shot he hit next was epic. Brady's hole out will forever be a top 10 shot of the day. Splitting his pants retrieving the ball... enough said. Peyton stiffing the pros was the most clutch amateur shot I've ever seen. JT calling Barkley a "fat a#*" on live TV brought the house down! Live call ins from Russel Wilson, Brooks Koepka was so cool. The ensuing wins for $300K and $100K in additional donations was priceless. Alternate shot strategies made the event even more compelling on the back 9.  Finally, $20 million for Covid 19 charities is simply brilliant.

Lows- The weather. The venue, while beautiful, played way long in those conditions. Brady's poor play. Unfortunately there was nowhere for him to hide, and trying to manufacture confidence in those conditions was tough. Barkley's incessant ribbing of Brady was a bit over the top too. Seemed to be lots of technical difficulties with the ear pieces all day. Not an inherent low, but Tiger sure clammed up in the back 9 once his team dropped 2 holes and the match was only up one. 

Whats Next for The Match III?- Lots of banter on social media right now. Calls for guys like Michael Jordan, Steph Curry, or Tony Romo to tee it up with Phil and Tiger. Questions on does match 3 have Phil and Tiger in it, or do new guys like Brooks, Rickie, JT, or DJ get the nod. Clearly no one chatters like Phil, no matter if he's down 3 or up 1. No one talks like Phil, but Brooks may be the next one. Clearly there are tons of options, and perhaps the "rubber match" needs to be on a course both Tiger and Phil have won big events at.... Specifically I'm thinking of none other than Augusta National. Can you imagine those 2 guys going 1:1 at Augusta for a charity event? Never going to happen, but can you imagine? 

Ultimately this event was solid in spite of the weather. Lots of money raised, a tight match that went to the wire, and some great shots from all 4 players. It provided laughs, and ultimately garnered much needed financial support for many in great need at present. I for one was grateful watching all the competitors go at it. 

•  

Enjoyed it myself and the weather did add some suspense to the match. My question?  Is Tom Brady an 8 handicap.  Curious mind wants to know.  It was fun and the wedge master played well and Tiger's driver's in the middle.  He could be tough this fall upon the return.  Augusta might be a little too tough for the Amateurs.  Those greens will eat their lunch.  Maybe one of the Pinehurst courses or the TPC in Jacksonville.  Florida is a short venue, travel wise for the pros.  Is Romo still an Amateur being he has played on the tour.  Love to see a Brooks, Rory, Jordan and Curry match....would raise lots of money and a lot of trash talking.....would be a fun match.......play two nines with different partners.......what would be fun is to have another two some and have the pros change amateur partners every six holes.......each player gets two points for a win and one point for a tie for each six holes.....all for charity......

•  

Randy, did you still live in SW Michigan in the 90s?  If so, were you around when the Western Am was played at Point O' Woods and Jordan played in it?  He was paired with Mickelson for the first couple of days.  That was interesting to watch, as I was following because I was still in my teens and a huge Bulls fan.  Michael played ok, but watching Mickelson was fun because of all the wacky shots he'd pull off, even then.  

I liked the one club challenge, but I think it would be more interesting if you made the pros do that only, or go "left-handed" like JT and Ricky did.  Another option would be to make them tee off on the par 3 with putters.

•  

I lived in SW Michigan from '02-'13. Had the opportunity to play POW a few times, and found it an interesting venue. Not enough to be a Member though!

Most notable guys that played during my time there that I recall were Kevin Kisner and Danny Lee.

• 910 points

I'd like to see two other really great golfers with Phil and Tiger so we can watch some sick shots.  I want jokes, trash talk, and insane shots they normally wouldn't go for.

•  

As a Patriots season ticket member, I found it rather difficult to cheer for Peyton.  Now that Brady is with TB, I had to stay with the AFC and root for Peyton.  If you asked me 6-7 years ago if I would ever root for Manning vs. Brady, I would have told you that you were crazy.  

I'd like to see this type of competition continue in some fashion.  It was great to watch and certainly raised a lot of money.  I do like Chuck's idea of having Jordan involved.  Definitely need big names for the draw.  

• 5314 points

I watched and enjoyed the game and will look forward to the next match.

• 5314 points

good observation's Chuck

• 5314 points

me too!

• 5314 points

I am a Tennessee Alum class of 74 so I am a Peyton Fan and I live just north of Tampa so I guess I will be a Brady fan now!