#1 SHOE IN GOLF           #1 GLOVE IN GOLF
FREE STANDARD SHIPPING ON ALL ORDERS $100+
SHIP STANDARD BY DEC 16 FOR HOLIDAY DELIVERY

Putter Design

Putter Design

•  

I was just on GolfWX and one of the features was the new Bettinardi lineup.  As I was looking through the pictures it struck me that there really has not been anything new in design in many years.  Everyone is knocking off the other guy. The TM Spyder is one of the hottest models out there, but I saw it over 20 years ago. It was one of those build your own club jobs and it was called a Frog.  Most copied putters are some of the early Ping putters.  Grant it the materials have changed and the tolerances are so much better now than they have ever been.  Even our good friend Scotty has not come out with a new design of his own in a long time.  

•  

Great points Bob. The adage "copying is the sincerest form of flattery" is lame IMO.

•  

Is it possible that golfing engineers have already simply pushed all the possible options from the drawing board into club designs? Are there any other true innovations, other than materials used to build putters, that haven't been explored? And there must be some consideration for the "buyability" of a design  - i.e., what do golfers like to see and hold and use?

• 2912 points

Forgot about the Frog.  I do remember intensely disliking the looks.  Still do.  Just can’t get past that.

But there is no disputing the tech.  

Tweak the design, change the color, raise the price and we’ll keep buying.

•  

NCBob
    I was just on GolfWX and one of the features was the new Bettinardi lineup.  As I was looking through the pictures it struck me that there really has not been anything new in design in many years.  Everyone is knocking off the other guy. The TM Spyder is one of the hottest models out there, but I saw it over 20 years ago. It was one of those build your own club jobs and it was called a Frog.  Most copied putters are some of the early Ping putters.  Grant it the materials have changed and the tolerances are so much better now than they have ever been.  Even our good friend Scotty has not come out with a new design of his own in a long time.

Ping designed great putters and when their patent ran out, everyone copied their proven designs.  Most putters on the market are designs based on the original Anser putter with newer inserts and materials.  If it ain't broken!

• 4626 points

good observation and you are right.

•  

Golf is subject to its "Traditions" as such, the castings are going to follow. We will see some innovation but it will be a slow progression.