#1 SHOE IN GOLF           #1 GLOVE IN GOLF
FREE STANDARD SHIPPING ON 2+ APPAREL ITEMS
LAST DAY FOR MYJOYS HOLIDAY DELIVERY DEC 9th

Rib Injury - Serratus Anterior and Golf Fitness

Rib Injury - Serratus Anterior and Golf Fitness

•  

Well, now I've done it. After making a solid commitment to get to my golf and with plenty of time (and a pass from the wife), I've overdone it and have strained a significant muscle in my rib area.  It's called the serratus anterior and from what I can glean on the web (plenty of discussion on the Sandtrap) it's a fairly common, but painful, golf injury.

To all of those golfers who laid off for a while and are at it again or are just older, do yourself a favour and strengthen your core muscles AND this muscle in particular.  

It is just above your obliques and does a fair amount of the pull on your downswing.  The pain started in my lat/shoulder area and I laid off for a day or two (thought that was enough). After I started up again, it moved to my side then just below my pectoral muscles. It is now very painful -- feels like a broken/bruised rib.

Initially I thought it might be the intercostal muscles, also a common golf injury. This is what  B.Sneds and P.Casey had.

Anyway, just thought I would remind all of you that golf fitness is just important as the actual swing. Something I'm now learning the hard way.

• 1392 points

Oh No. Sorry to hear that man. I use the swing fan for this reason. 10 x 5 swings a day on both sides. Not to many so it doesn't slow the fast twitch muscles. But just enough to strengthen the obliques during the downswing. Google 'swing fan' and you'll see what I mean. I'm sure you have come across this before. The cheapest version is the hank Haney one from Golf Galaxy ($30).

•  

Fitness is definitely one thing everyone can benefit from.  A little extra strength and flexibility helps the game by leaps and bounds.  AND it keeps injuries at bay.  I hope you heal soon so that you can get back to the game!

• 226 points

Hey guys, I am TPI lv 2 coach and have a bachelor's degree in Exercise Science. If you're issues persist I recommend seeing a physician to give you the exact diagnosis, then speak with your swing coach to see if you have one to make sure that your motion isn't causing the injury.  Overuse is very common but it is better to be safe than sorry later on.  Also I wouldn't worry too much about "slowing" the fast twitch muscles down. The stronger they are the better!

•  

ethanpowell14

Hey guys, I am TPI lv 2 coach and have a bachelor's degree in Exercise Science. If you're issues persist I recommend seeing a physician to give you the exact diagnosis, then speak with your swing coach to see if you have one to make sure that your motion isn't causing the injury.  Overuse is very common but it is better to be safe than sorry later on.  Also I wouldn't worry too much about "slowing" the fast twitch muscles down. The stronger they are the better!

Thanks for joining in Ethan. Please visit often and welcome to the Community.

•  

JosephR
    I use the swing fan for this reason. 10 x 5 swings a day on both sides. Not to many so it doesn't slow the fast twitch muscles. But just enough to strengthen the obliques during the downswing. Google 'swing fan' and you'll see what I mean. I'm sure you have come across this before. The cheapest version is the hank Haney one from Golf Galaxy ($30).

Huh, haven't heard of this gadget before. Will check it out.  Thanks.

•  

ethanpowell14

Hi Ethan. Welcome to the board and thanks.  I've actually been working with a swing coach and think that my lack of an intensely focused fitness programme to match the increased intensity of my practice is likely to blame. Not his fault though as all of his other students seem to have enough time to gym for a couple hours a day/everyday.  I think I'll have to change things up once I'm back to it and move from my basic/core workout to something to also addresses these muscle as well.

I have consulted with my orthopaedic surgeon and a physical therapist am in the rest/treatment/healing phase right now.

Thanks again!

• 3 points

miniwarmth
    Well, now I've done it. After making a solid commitment to get to my golf and with plenty of time (and a pass from the wife), I've overdone it and have strained a significant muscle in my rib area.  It's called the serratus anterior and from what I can glean on the web (plenty of discussion on the Sandtrap) it's a fairly common, but painful, golf injury.

To all of those golfers who laid off for a while and are at it again or are just older, do yourself a favour and strengthen your core muscles AND this muscle in particular.  

It is just above your obliques and does a fair amount of the pull on your downswing.  The pain started in my lat/shoulder area and I laid off for a day or two (thought that was enough). After I started up again, it moved to my side then just below my pectoral muscles. It is now very painful -- feels like a broken/bruised rib.

Initially I thought it might be the intercostal muscles, also a common golf injury. This is what  B.Sneds and P.Casey had.

Anyway, just thought I would remind all of you that golf fitness is just important as the actual swing. Something I'm now learning the hard way.

Hey

I have been searching this topic for so many weeks now, and then I found this thread. I just registred, and I got to ask. Did you ever recover from this? If so, how? It hurts like a fractured rib, as you say. Really painful.

• 3 points

How long did it take for a full recovery? My story is similar started with a knot in what I though was my right lat, went out and played after a couple days of rest and pulled what I though was my lat during the round. About a week later started feeling tenderness in the upper side of my rib cage. Hoping to get back soon just wondering how long it took you?