Golf in New England

Golf in New England

•  

The Golf in Mass thread has been very helpful to me, so I figured I'd throw it out to all of New England.

Where do you like to play in Maine, VT, New Hampshire, RI or Mass?

I recently played

Breakfast Hill in NH Loved it.  It's not a long course, but has a lot of fun holes that could be played different ways.  The greens were awesome, the practice facility is good, and the lobster roll and tap selection in the 19th hole was just as fun as the course.  A great value and I've already been back.  A+

Mt. Anthony in Bennington VT It was pretty good.  Nothing amazing, but some fun holes and great views.  It was a wet and windy day, so that could have played a part in it.  I'll probably play it again when I'm in the area.  The back 9 is carved into a big hill and is entirely different than the front.  The 19th hole had Switchback on tap (awesome) and one of the best burgers I've ever had.

Waubeeka in Williamstown MA- This was a fun track and I'll definitely be back.  Their practice green is AMAZING.  Tour quality.  There were some goofy holes, but they were good ones.  I really enjoyed the course and was happy the started loaned me a yardage book. The greens were in nice shape and rolled true.  I'll play there again, and next time I'll schedule time to stop in the clubhouse.

Cranwell Golf in Lenox/Pittsfield MA- Over priced for sure.  The practice facility was top notch, but the course was not worth the price tag.  The layout was good, but not excellent.  The greens were slow, but rolled nicely.  It's an average to good course, but I can't believe I paid 80 bucks to walk it.  It's not worth more than 50 IMO.  The 19th was fine, but just like the course, it was over priced and average.

Alright fellow FJ fans, what do you suggest?

•  

Sorry Connecticut, I forgot about you.  I've never played in CT, but have to go to Waterbury from time to time, so suggestions there and everywhere are welcome.  You're still part of New England!

• 2631 points

Red Hawk in Ayer,Ma.(Fort Devens) is a great track.  Stratton Mt. in Vt.(3 nines) is a wonderful mountain course as is The Equinox in nearby Manchester,Vt.

•  

Thanks Zach. I'll have to check those out.

I just played Sagamore Hampton in NH.  It was a short track and decent at best.  Very small greens and some interesting holes.  Pretty average overall.

The worst part was the starter was down right simple.  He kept mixing in new groups between groups on the back 9.  We played the front 9 with little waits here and there.  The pace was fine.  We get to 10 and there's about 4 groups stacked up on the tee.  The back 9 was 3 hours 20 min or so with about a 10 min wait on every tee and a couple of min on every fairway.  Thanks for wasting at least 90min of my life Starter...

• 2947 points

I play mostly in Mass, but there a few nice courses in Maine I try to get to each year or so.

Natanis, just outside of Augusta has two courses, on old (nice views) and one new. try both for some interesting holes. Neither is really long 6300 to 6600 yds or so.

Waterville Country Club, Oakland ME. Nice walk, only about 6400 ys, Par 70. Typically in great shape, but look out for gnarly rough.

Belgrade Lakes: Nice course, great views. 6700 yds Par 71. Not cheap, but really nice.

Samoset, Rockland Maine: Excellent course and awesome views. Moderate/higher price range, but worth it.

•  

zacho

Red Hawk in Ayer,Ma.(Fort Devens) is a great track.  Stratton Mt. in Vt.(3 nines) is a wonderful mountain course as is The Equinox in nearby Manchester,Vt.

The course you are thinking about is actually called "Red Tail".

• 2631 points

Josh,there are some wonderful courses on The Cape. You might consider The Captain's Courses or New Seabury. The best time to try them is Sept./Oct. after the crowds have left or late Spring

•  
    A fun course that I would highly recommend is Granite Links in MA. A little further south is Foxboro CC - yes, the public can play there.
  •  

ToddL
    A fun course that I would highly recommend is Granite Links in MA. A little further south is Foxboro CC - yes, the public can play there.

I love Granite Links.  I'm going to play Pine Hills later in the summer, and I hear that's an awesome course as well.  Tomorrow I'm playing a course in western CT called Ridgefield.  It's a Fazio and looks to be a good one.

• 4617 points

If you travel north on Interstate 91 to the last exit in Massachusetts (Bernardston), you'll find yourself a mile or so away from Crumpin Fox Golf Club. One of the more highly ranked course in Massachusetts. Built around and atop a fairly significant hill, this course winds through the maples and pines offering a demanding test of the entire arsenal of golf shots. The course has many beautiful vistas - the signature hole is a par 5 dogleg  to the left with water bordering the left side of the hole. BIG hitters may think about going for the green in two though the risk of a 200 - 240+ yard second shot that falls a bit short finding the drink usually cure ME of such delusions of Tigeresque displays. Even so, the third shot plays to a narrow neck still leaving an approach over water unless you've maxed out the fairway. his is just one of many thoughtfully designed holes at this course that I think is one of the great bargains in golf. In the fall when leaves are turning colors, it is simply one pretty place!

There is a sister course near Lyme, CT named Fox Hopyard, also a good test and under the same ownership. Not as inexpensive or, in my opinion, offering the same value, but a very, very good course if you happen to find yourself in that area...

• 4617 points

Do you ever get out to Martha's Vineyard? Off season, Farm Neck Golf Club is a beautiful course with an artful mix of holes in the pines and along the coastal ponds and estuaries, with excellent shot values and lovely vistas.  

On Nantucket, play at Miacomet, the island's most popular public course. It is a good test though not in the same league as the oldest private club on the island (open to the public in the off season), Sankaty Head Golf Club. The other private club on Nantucket, Nantucket Golf Club, is out of bounds for anyone but members and guests...

•  

pistolpete

If you travel north on Interstate 91 to the last exit in Massachusetts (Bernardston), you'll find yourself a mile or so away from Crumpin Fox Golf Club. One of the more highly ranked course in Massachusetts. Built around and atop a fairly significant hill, this course winds through the maples and pines offering a demanding test of the entire arsenal of golf shots. The course has many beautiful vistas - the signature hole is a par 5 dogleg  to the left with water bordering the left side of the hole. BIG hitters may think about going for the green in two though the risk of a 200 - 240+ yard second shot that falls a bit short finding the drink usually cure ME of such delusions of Tigeresque displays. Even so, the third shot plays to a narrow neck still leaving an approach over water unless you've maxed out the fairway. his is just one of many thoughtfully designed holes at this course that I think is one of the great bargains in golf. In the fall when leaves are turning colors, it is simply one pretty place!

There is a sister course near Lyme, CT named Fox Hopyard, also a good test and under the same ownership. Not as inexpensive or, in my opinion, offering the same value, but a very, very good course if you happen to find yourself in that area...

I've heard of Crumpin Fox.  It's a Cranmore club right?  I'm heading out to the Ranch in Southwick this Sunday.  Crumpin is on the list.  I'll have to check out Fox Hopyard too.  I'm in CT quite often

•  

Just played The Ranch in Southwick MA.  It's a bit of a pricey track, but very fun and interesting.  It had a good practice facility and the whole, "country club for a day" feel to it.  There were lots of risk reward shots and a good mix of holes.  It's about 1:45 west of Boston, so if you're feeling like a nice drive head out there.  It's worth the trip.

•  
    There are a lot of new courses out here. Thanks for the recommendations. Still waiting to drive out to Red Tail. Heard nothing but good things
    • 2631 points

Josh,you might also want to try Meadowbrook in Richmond,R.I (right off I.95). It is an old course that has been totally rebuilt and is in great condition. If you like long courses it is 7300 yards from the gold tees.