ANYONE READ "THE CONFIDENTIAL GUIDE TO GOLF COURSES" BY TOM DOAK?

ANYONE READ "THE CONFIDENTIAL GUIDE TO GOLF COURSES" BY TOM DOAK?

•  

The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses

Has anyone read this book OR played a Tom Doak designed golf course?

Please share your thoughts.

OZ-Crocman

• 1784 points

I haven't read this book or played any of his courses...I have certainly heard of him.  I believe i have one of his other books, anatomy of a golf course.  I don't remember much about it, perhaps I'm due for a rereading.

•  

Doak is a big time architect.  Check out his website.

http://www.renaissancegolf.com/

•  

Looks like I may have to peruse TD's books and see if I can play at least one of the great courses he has designed....

•  

Apparently this is pretty rare (and thus pricey)! but have heard it is a brutally honest account of his views on individual course and hole design.

No-one is spared where bad holes are concerned and he was even worried about getting into the Golf Architects association (or some such thing) because of his criticisms of others.

So sounds like a must read .. if I can find one.

OZ-Crocman

•  

www.barnbougledunes.com.au

He has designed Barnbougle Dunes in the middle of absolutely nowhere on the northern tip of Tasmania in Australia which has received rave reviews since opening - refer attached link - going down to play it after Xmas.

Also opened a course about 2 hours from me that I haven't yet played called St Andrews Beach that also gets rave reviews. This course was part of a big development that went bust and the course fell into disrepair but has recently been bought and slowing being brought back to life.

OZ-Crocman

• 627 points

Get ready to pay dearly for that book.  If you would like to read Tom's opinions gratis then head over to golfclubatlas.com and read through the forums there.  Very heady stuff concerning design, both old and new, and maintenance practices, both old and new.

The members there post often so the topics revolve wuite often.  Not to mention there are course pictorials that are well written and most often accompanied by stunning photos.

•  

I have not read this book yet but I have enjoyed reading the posts from everyone...looks like this will be a must read!

• 503 points

Fun book to read, but expensive as mentioned, and is older than you think.

Tom D. is working on a new edition that may or may not be printed in the next couple of years.

For those of you who visit Myrtle Beach, the Heathlands course at Legends is a great peek at Tom's mind.  Ballyneal probably represents his most inspired work, though the new course at Dismal River is gonna be goooooood.

WW

• 503 points

Pay close attention during this week's US Women's Open and you'll get a great look at Mr. Doak's tendencies.

WW

•  

I'll agree that Legends/Heathland is a doozy of a course.  Of the five we played during our recent Myrtle trip, it is the one that kicked most of us in the rear end.  I would love to have had an opportunity to play it again once I had an idea of where I was going and how to get there.