Washington DC Area Golf

Washington DC Area Golf

• 3548 points

I have recently been offered tickets for the final round at the AT & T and I have decided to spend a few extra days in town. I will be able to tee it up in the Washington DC area on Monday and Tuesday (and maybe Thursday). Does anyone have suggestions on where I should play? 

•  
    Robert Trent Jones GC is on my wish list. This was the home of the first few Presidents Cup matches and looks pretty special but I suppose one of those very exclusive / impossible to get on courses. Understand Vrginia Oaks and Stonewall GC are also meant t be pretty good, in same area around lake manassas. OZ-Crocman
    • 3548 points

Great suggestions Crocman! I'm really interested in Stonewall, looks like a great course.

•  
    Oh yeah ... Congressional .... Might have to lobby your local Congressman / Senator for an invite though. OZ-Crocman
    • 36 points

Actually, Congressional has no affiliation with members of congress....just shares the name reference.  Other good DC area tracks include Westfields, a Couples course in VA, and Whiskey Creek, an Els course in MD.  Some great daily fee courses in the area though.

• 3548 points

Hey Bunker72 I actually played Whiskey Creek when I was in town. I also played Laurel Hill GC and a friend of mine got me on TPC Potomac, all were great tracks that I really enjoyed.

• 5375 points

Years ago, played Congressional and after finishing went into the clubhouse grill for a drink. As we were trading tales, who should walk in the door but the late General Alexander Haig. The person who invited us to play, a couple of libations into his post round hydration, pointed out General Haig and then decided he had to meet the General. He got up from our table and walked over and introduced himself and explained how he was a fan and an admirer. The General graciously smiled and thanked him for the accolade. Our host then said, "Pardon me General but I HAVE to say this: "I'm in control here.." ,a paraphrase of Gen. Haig's famous line uttered in the press conference following the attempt to assassinate President Reagan. The General looked at our host for a second and then burst out laughing..What a moment!! And truly, what a challenging golf course!

Another wonderful private course and old course in the DC area I have had the privilege to play is Columbia Country Club in Chevy Chase. A Walter Travis design and a site of the US Open in the early 1920s....  

•  

For anyone going to the D.C. area and looking to play golf, one of the most important things to consider, before deciding which course(s) in the D.C. area you'd like to play, is where you'll be staying.  Traffic in the D.C. metropolitan area can be truly horrendous, especially at either morning or evening rush hour.  I would strongly recommend that you seek a course or courses in the general vicinity of where you are staying--and there are lots of good ones just about anywhere.  In Virginia, I would agree that Stonewall is a strong course and would heartily recommend it (I played in August of this year and was very favorably impressed).  It's a bit pricy, so look for specials.  A couple of others that are decent, but less expensive are Bristow Manor (west of Manassas, but relatively near Stonewall), and Bull Run, off US 15 north of I-66.  Some people prefer Raspberry Farms Hunt and Country Club in Leesburg, but the last few times I played it, the conditioning had dropped.  It also tends to be higher end for cost.  Westfields is a good track, difficult but fair, and perhaps a bit hard to find if you're not familiar with the area.  In Maryland, northwest of D.C., I agree that the Ernie Els course--Whiskey Creek--is a very good test with some interesting holes.  A bit further out, you'll find Worthington Manor, a site frequently used for US Open qualifying.  Other possibilities further west are Maryland National and Musket Ridge, also both usually in very good conditions and true challenges.  There is also the P.B. Dye course, near Whiskey Creek, but it is usually more expensive--and it's a P.B. Dye course.  You'll find lots of municipal courses, as well, in the D.C. metro area, but conditions vary widely.  If you have the right connections, you might also try Avenel, a private club quite near Congressional, so it may or may not be permitting play during the AT&T.  It has hosted several PGA Tour events over the years.  Many, many more courses to try, time and your patience for traffic permitting.

•  

if you don't mind driving there are a lot to chose from in the area.  i'm about 1 1/2 hours north west of DC and if you head towards me, the courses are much more open with little wait times.  very rarely do i ever even need a tee time.