Another Tour course

Another Tour course

• 3503 points

Well, it has been a crazy Spring for me. Haven't been on here much due to work (thats a great thing I guess) and I wanted to share with everyone today about the 2 courses I was lucky enough to play thus far in 2012: Bethpage Black and TPC Boston.

Bethpage Black treated me like it will treat any weekend warrior.  It was such an awesome course to play at the time I did because of the Barclays that will be there later in the year for the FedEx Cup.  We had a 7:30 tee time so it wasn't too early, but not late whatsoever. Going on roughly 45mins of sleep, I proceeded to make a double on #1 only to be the story of the day.  Hit the ball as well as my 3 year old cousin would out there but that's beside the point.  That course will humble even the mightiest of golfer on any given day. I cannot wait to get back there to give it another shot when I am actually hitting the ball well. Personally, I found that 15 is the single hardest golf hole I have played to date.  if for nothing else, everyone needs to play that course just to play 15 from the tips (where we decided to play the course).  Obviously, with prices being as high as they are out there, I would rate that as a memorable experience that I will look forward to every spring with some buddies/coworkers.

TPC Boston was a joy to play becuase I just recently went to the final round of the Deustche Bank there at the end of 2011. I loved playing holes the pros play every year.  For those of us in the New England area, I would advise all of you to pull any string you can to get on that course! But be warned, the rough was GNARLY! As a poor tee player, I struggled to score well at times. Did make a handful of birdies in the 36 holes I got to play that day. Was lucky enough to birdie 18 both times I played it. Greens were very firm and it was real tough to hold anything on the green outside a little flip-wedge. I'll admit, after playing that course the event there in the fall may become my favorite event to go to not named the Masters.

There is so much more I could write about the Spring and early Summer for my golf. I look forward to hearing everyone's golfescapades from 2012 thus far. Again, good to be back on here. Seems as if I missed on a lot.

• 3627 points

Thanks for the report. Bethpage is a treat and TPC Boston is pretty good now. The course was pretty bad (think typical hard Florida-style course) thanks to Palmer Design Group. But Gil Hanse did a great job a few years ago renovating the course and making it more interesting. Thanks to a friend's corporate membership, I was able to play TPC quite a bit while living out there.

Did you lay up or go for #4?

• 3503 points

PatCCraig

Thanks for the report. Bethpage is a treat and TPC Boston is pretty good now. The course was pretty bad (think typical hard Florida-style course) thanks to Palmer Design Group. But Gil Hanse did a great job a few years ago renovating the course and making it more interesting. Thanks to a friend's corporate membership, I was able to play TPC quite a bit while living out there.

Did you lay up or go for #4?

Went for it both rounds. Played the black tees. Double both times thanks to that front pin and a God-awful short game!

•  

Sounds like a lot of fun dzab!  Thanks for sharing this.  I hope to get to Bethpage one of these days.  

• 1539 points

Those are two solid places to play. Just saw a story about people waiting in line to play bethpage is pretty cool story.
  •  

Great story, sounds like you had a great time.

• 2712 points

Thanks for the inpit. You have given me more incentive to get on TPC Boston.

•  

Here is a picture of the 4th hole and the 18th hole, TPC Boston.  I am fortunate enough to not only live in Norton, just off the 6th green, but also have a corporate membership that allows me to play frequently.  It certainly helps that Deutsche Bank is also my client.

The course has come along way and is getting better by the year.  The biggest undertaking for 2012 was the BIG change and reconstruction of the 18th hole, see below.

•  

Nice photos of TPC, thanks BostonBuzza.

•  

Thanks Guys for sharing, two places that are on my Bucket List....

-ICONs for ALL

•  

Very sweet!  I have had the pleasure to play Bethpage Black, and agree with you that from the tips it is one of the toughest tracks I have ever played.  #15 is a brutal uphill hole.  However, my vote for the toughest hole is #17 - you have to be so precise from a long way away...

Have not played TPC Boston yet.  I live 15 minutes from it, but have only been to the PGA event there.  Driven by the front of it (on the way to Great Woods - now known as the Comcast Center), but never with the clubs.  

Congratulations on playing both!