Newport Country Club RI

Newport Country Club RI

•  

I played Newport CC yesterday afternoon (May 8th) in the blistering cold wind, see attached pic and notice flag at clubhouse is dead straight across.  One of the most beautiful courses in the world, or at least my world.  Beat it pretty hard with a solid 82.  Very dissapointing round for hitting it pretty well.  Just too many cute chips around greens that rolled out too far. 

This is the 1st leg of a RI 2-day tournement.  Next round Sheltor Harbor, Westerly RI...pics next week as today's round was canceled.

•  

Looks like a grand ole clubhouse. Enjoy your tournament and don't forget to layer up with FootJoy apparel.  

•  

BostonBuzza

I played Newport CC yesterday afternoon (May 8th) in the blistering cold wind, see attached pic and notice flag at clubhouse is dead straight across.  One of the most beautiful courses in the world, or at least my world.  Beat it pretty hard with a solid 82.  Very dissapointing round for hitting it pretty well.  Just too many cute chips around greens that rolled out too far. 

This is the 1st leg of a RI 2-day tournement.  Next round Sheltor Harbor, Westerly RI...pics next week as today's round was canceled.

Blistering cold wind is a product of playing virtually anywhere on Aquidneck Island!  Thought I was a good wind player until I moved there, boy did that opinion change!

• 2819 points

82 is nothing to be disappointed about when the  ocean wind is blowing(which it usually is ) at Newport C.C. 

I volunteered as a ranger when The LPGA Championship was held there a few years ago. It is a wonderful old course with history going back to the early years of golf in America. You were fortunate to be able to play it. 

•  

•  

I am pretty sure this is the same shot of the 4th tee box, just without me in it, lol.

•  

Yes, it is my friend.  TOUGH par 3 from that back tee throw in some ocean breezes wreaking havoc on your ball and you got yourself a golf hole!

•  

It was playing at 211, and I smashed a hybrid.  The wind pushed it just off to the right, but right into a drain pipe with pretty red stakes and paint, resulting in my 1 and only double for the day. 

I have to say it is a REAL hole, but that storm pipe was a bit odd, for a red staked area given there is a cement pipe on one end.  Oh well, I guess I should not have been there.

Again, it is certainly one of the best courses I get to play on from time to time, so Devin, if you are able to make or get some time, would love to get out there and hit it with you.

-Brian

•  
    Look at you two, Briand and Devin.... Trading tales of wind, rain, hail, and stormy rounds......... I have to deal with 70s and sun every freaking day. How can I possibly play with all of this sun?
    • 2819 points

Brian,looking forward to seeing some pix of Shelter Harbor and hearing how you scored. I have gotten a glimpse of the course and it looks like it should be a decent challenge.

David

•  

Tar Heel
    Look at you two, Briand and Devin.... Trading tales of wind, rain, hail, and stormy rounds......... I have to deal with 70s and sun every freaking day. How can I possibly play with all of this sun?

Is it getting old yet Randy, all that sun and nice days? :-)

•  

Round 2 coming up tomorrow at Sheltor Harbor and look whats on the way...more rain and wind.  I just can not catch a break while getting the opportunity to play on these beautiful courses.

I will get some more pics, and post them under a new thread, Sheltor Harbor.  I will get one of the boys to snap a pic with my FJ rain gear on..

Goal - to shoot 75, and no snowmen on the card for any one hole or in total. 

Wish me luck!

• 2819 points

Good luck tomorrow. I am supposed to play in Richmond a few miles north of where you will be playing. The rain doesn't bother me but if the prediction of thunderstorms looks solid in the morning we will bag it.

Hopefully the weather guys are wrong.  and we don't need our Dry Joy gear.

•  
    Did the greens come back at Richmond? The last time I played there, they were almost completely gone. Not sure if the owners are putting their time and energy (aka - money) into Meadowbrook and letting Richmond go. I'll be very curious to see... To the non-Rhode Island golfing crowd out there, sorry for the provincial golf discussion...
    • 2819 points

Actually the course I played in Richmond was Meadowbrook. First time I have played there since it was rebuilt and I will be back-what a great track. I haven't played The Richmond Golf Club for several years because it always seemed to play to slow.

For you non Rhode Islanders,Richmond is a one horse rural town that has four 18 holers and a very good 9 holer  in the town or on its border. More golf courses than traffic lights.