A Regal Visitor to my home course.

A Regal Visitor to my home course.

•  

Pretty special visitor (been seen 3 or 4 times this year).  Just wanted to share:

• 2742 points

Another type of rare birdie on the course. I just read that Bald Eagles are starting to become more numerous because their eggs are no longer being harmed by D D T.

Thanks for a great picture picture.

•  

Awesome photo!  Rare indeed, can honestly say I have only seen one in my life. 

•  

wow.  that's really cool!  i also heard the bald eagle population was spreading.  one of the great things about golf is being outside and some of the great things you get to see.

• 3542 points

Wow that's a great photo...one of the coolest things I've ever seen was fishing in Florida when a bald eagle swoops down and catches a bass about 20 yards from our boat! Fishing that day went: Eagle 1, Shane 0 but, it was worth every second I spent on the boat to see an eagle in action.

•  

Awesome, Hokies!  Lots of Hawks around here, but no eagles.  Have seen golden eagles on courses before, but not yet a bald eagle.  Someday…...

•  

That is awesome, not an everyday thing.  Only have seen a bald head in captivity.  

• 2956 points

Nice photo!

I was fortunate as a kid. My parents had a summer place on the Maine coast and there was a bald eagle nesting on a small island just off-shore. They are magnificent, and if you haven't seen one close-up, they get pretty big. Wing spans can be upwards of 8 ft.

Thanks for bringing back nice memories.

•  

Captiving moment....We walk as one with nature on the course !

•  
    Bobby, that is even beyond spectacular. Devin, you need to post this on the main FJ page my friend. It is absolutely gorgeous and inspiring. We have a ton of hawks here that live in the foothills, and as beautiful as they are, they do not compare to this Bald Eagle.
  •  

This is an inspiring picture.

I have seen a few of these but never took a photo. We actually have on nesting on the river by my home. Hopefully, I can get a shot of it.

-ICONs for ALL

• 1539 points

Sweet photo. Great action shot.
    • 627 points

They are thick here in winter.  And not so majestic when they are fighting buzzards for carrion.  But they are plenty nice to watch on the wing.

There are two nests that I spotted last fall in a national park not far from me.

•  

Very cool pic :)  What is a "hokie" are they native to Virgina ??

•  

RANDYWILDMAN

Very cool pic :)  What is a "hokie" are they native to Virgina ??

Here;s your answer

The answer leads all the way back to 1896 when Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College changed its name to Virginia Polytechnic Institute. With the change came the necessity for writing a new cheer and a contest for such a purpose was held by the student body.

Senior O.M. Stull won first prize for his "Hokie" yell (Old Hokie Cheer below) which is still used today. Later, when asked if "Hokie" had any special meaning, Stull explained the word was solely the product of his imagination and was used only as an attention-getter for his yell. It soon became a nickname for all Tech teams and for those people loyal to Tech athletics.

The official university school colors - Chicago Maroon and Burnt Orange - also were introduced in 1896. The colors were chosen by a committee because they made a 'unique combination' not worn elsewhere at the time. The official definition of "hokie" is "a loyal Virginia Tech Fan".

The HokieBird
     The bird is a "HokieBird" which has evolved from a turkey. Virginia Tech teams were once called the "gobblers"!