South Spain Golf...why not?

South Spain Golf...why not?

• 440 points

Responding to a post got me thinking, why aren't more golfers hitting South Spain for International golf trips?  Valderama, San Roque, Sotogrande, Finca Cortesin, all within a short drive, great weather, beaches, and vino.  Thoughts?  

•  

Unfortunately, when you think of Europe and golf, Scotland and Ireland are the meccas.

Although more Spainish golfers are making Spain more known for golf, it just doesn't seem like a golf destination.

• 2625 points

For most  golfers their bucket list includes the old historic courses like St.Andrews,Turnberry,Ballybunion,Lahinch,and Carnoustie. So while their are some wonderful courses in Spain and Portugal the first priority for most people  if they are fortunate enough to make a European trip is to play Scotland/Ireland. 

• 440 points

I get that Scotland and Ireland are the meccas, I hope to get there soon, part of our honeymoon was spent in South Spain and the weather and golf courses were amazing. That was how I discovered the area and have been recommending it ever since!

• 3627 points

aac175

golf courses were amazing. 

They are? You're the first person I've heard say that.

•  

aac175

Responding to a post got me thinking, why aren't more golfers hitting South Spain for International golf trips?  Valderama, San Roque, Sotogrande, Finca Cortesin, all within a short drive, great weather, beaches, and vino.  Thoughts?  

Spain and Portugal are becaming reference golf destinations all over the world. Better than south Spain I would say that Algarve (South Portugal) is the best golf destination in Europe if are not looking for the "Mecca" (Scotland). I would say that there is some more than just the "Mecca". 

• 1781 points

I spent a week of my honeymoon 15 years or so ago.  Did not bring the clubs, but did visit some of the courses.  It's a fantastic place for golf.  Hot in the summer but still warm enough to play in winter.  Plenty of good food and 19th hole activities.  A buddy of mine wants to buy a condo there to retire (although the economy is dicey right now).