Dress Code

Dress Code

•  

At any or many courses we play year in and out, there's always a dress code.

What dress code does your course or the courses you frequently play have or follow on the course or at the clubhouse/restaurant?  Please tell us what you like or don't like about it.

Here, at a couple of the courses we play most our golf, we follow the typical: Collared Shirt Required: No Jeans: No flip-flops: No Tank-Tops for on course and the clubhouse.  But always NO HATS inside the clubhouse at Crystalaire whether you dine or just passing through (sounds silly, but we like it that way).

This simple codes are almost something sacred to the people where they play their golf and we follow their respect for a few reasons.  It brings me to mind about my late Greatest Of All Time, Mr. Ben Hogan, who has never stepped onto a course without being in his best.  the guy was just sharp all the time.

Titleist were around in the 1930s (I think).  FootJoy has been around longer and forever. . . I wouldn't doubt if Mr. Hogan wore footJoys back then.

Tell us about your dress codes.

•  

All of the courses that I play hold to these codes (at least the private and semi-private) as they are the true essence of the game: Gentleman and Ladies act with pride and distinction. We were brought up with these codes and are "bound" to them as part of our character, taking with us everywhere and in everything we do.

It is unfortunate that much of this "essence of character" is not taught or adhered to currently.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

Must read: May Golf Digest

The Australian Way

Why dragging a pushcart over a green is good (and other secrets to make golf more fun and affordable).

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/golf-digest#ixzz1rw03ZpAf

•  

thomas alston iii

Must read: May Golf Digest

The Australian Way

Why dragging a pushcart over a green is good (and other secrets to make golf more fun and affordable).

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/golf-digest#ixzz1rw03ZpAf

'Wish I could read more about what is in there.  I'll have to wait and stop by B&N.

•  
    Noel, this is a great topic. Since I got into golf I've thought about this a bunch. I prefer courses that are strict with dress codes. One of the public place I played in SW Michigan would not let you do anything on the grounds in jeans. Not even practice putting. Dress properly or no go. I like that. But in this regards I try to set the example in deed. I always dress nicely to play. That adage about look good, feel good, play good is so true! I like to be "put together" out on course. And always, always take my hat off indoors. These are proper, common sense things. Frankly, as Harry Vardon said, "it's what a gentleman does as a matter of course."
  •  

Played Torrey South last week and a guy in front of us teed off weating faded blue jeans and an untucked t-shirt! What gives!

•  

Tar Heel
    Noel, this is a great topic. Since I got into golf I've thought about this a bunch. I prefer courses that are strict with dress codes. One of the public place I played in SW Michigan would not let you do anything on the grounds in jeans. Not even practice putting. Dress properly or no go. I like that. But in this regards I try to set the example in deed. I always dress nicely to play. That adage about look good, feel good, play good is so true! I like to be "put together" out on course. And always, always take my hat off indoors. These are proper, common sense things. Frankly, as Harry Vardon said, "it's what a gentleman does as a matter of course."

This, my friend, is one of the things I like about this (FJCommunity) website, is that many of you love nice things.  FootJoy!

You know, I can't say that I've always been at my best, but then I've never been out of order either.  The efforts the day before the round, where I set aside what I'm wearing the next day along with the rest of the equipment being ready is comforting to me.  As my dad and and others say about golf, "preparation is everything", and it goes with just about everything we do whether it's our work in golf, the time we allow prior to tee time, and it definitely includes the way we dress.

There is a course in Hawaii, Kawai Island, it's called Wailua Golf Course.  Great course!  Public/Muni I think.  I read a little about it, and it mentioned that it was one of the Amateur Championship site a few times.  So I played it since I had a few more days to stay.  Anyway, I just could not get used to the way they let players on "barefoot!" as in no footwear and tank-tops, ugh.  I was so surprised.  Other than that, it was a great course with two nines designed by two different guys as they started only with nine holes. . . I've only played it once, but I sort of miss it, although I doubt that I'd go barefoot in a tank-top. (lol)

•  
    noeldaof

Tar Heel

This, my friend, is one of the things I like about this (FJCommunity) website, is that many of you love nice things.  FootJoy!

You know, I can't say that I've always been at my best, but then I've never been out of order either.  The efforts the day before the round, where I set aside what I'm wearing the next day along with the rest of the equipment being ready is comforting to me.  As my dad and and others say about golf, "preparation is everything", and it goes with just about everything we do whether it's our work in golf, the time we allow prior to tee time, and it definitely includes the way we dress.

There is a course in Hawaii, Kawai Island, it's called Wailua Golf Course.  Great course!  Public/Muni I think.  I read a little about it, and it mentioned that it was one of the Amateur Championship site a few times.  So I played it since I had a few more days to stay.  Anyway, I just could not get used to the way they let players on "barefoot!" as in no footwear and tank-tops, ugh.  I was so surprised.  Other than that, it was a great course with two nines designed by two different guys as they started only with nine holes. . . I've only played it once, but I sort of miss it, although I doubt that I'd go barefoot in a tank-top. (lol)

I had a similar experience at Turtle Bay on Oahu. The culture of Hawaii is just so laid back it didn't really bother me!

•  

TNT009

Played Torrey South last week and a guy in front of us teed off weating faded blue jeans and an untucked t-shirt! What gives!

Unfortunately, that's what you get at a muni. Even one as nice as Torrey Pines. There are a lot of visitors dressed to the nines, and then there are locals that look like like they were just digging ditches. But you never know, sometimes it's reversed. I always try to look nice where ever I play, because of what Fernando (Billy Crystal) used to say on SNL, "It's better to look good than to feel good". Words to live by. :-)

•  

golferdrmjr

TNT009

Unfortunately, that's what you get at a muni. Even one as nice as Torrey Pines. There are a lot of visitors dressed to the nines, and then there are locals that look like like they were just digging ditches. But you never know, sometimes it's reversed. I always try to look nice where ever I play, because of what Fernando (Billy Crystal) used to say on SNL, "It's better to look good than to feel good". Words to live by. :-)

I'm sure you looked "marvelous"  my friend.

•  

Devin_Gmitter

I had a similar experience at Turtle Bay on Oahu. The culture of Hawaii is just so laid back it didn't really bother me!

Yes, they are. . . very laid back, you're right and they are accustomed to it and it's acceptable there.  I was just a visitor who knew nothing of it and I think I was more shock to see it for the first time is all I meant and should have said, prior.  Yeah, at the time, it was the unthinkable that just happened. . . but everything moves on like business as usual. . . it was alright. . . we were at the range and after we see the first one, then another then you're fine with it- but still a little shock mixed in.  Then we follow a group in front and we see another and another, it makes it a lesser shock until you see the next a little later.  At parallel holes, by the green but now it's looking peaceful-- We see cocos, palms, ocean, sand, green, flag, two barefoot kids playing golf.  In the back of my mind. . . still, I'm saying, "You can be barefoot on the course? . . . they allow it?"  I can't get used to the thought of "Golf & Barefoot = OK here!".  What if I get in the bunker?  The  sand's gonna be between my toes and it's gonna irritate my toes. . . besides, my white shorts, tan legs, and bright feet might scare the ducks away or what do they call it?, "nene", I think.

• 2628 points

I think the dress code standards at a course also are also a reflection of that courses standards for course and club house condition. We play a great muni which allows no jeans and collared shirts.

•  

most places i play require collars and no jeans or jean shorts.  and i like that.  i enjoy 'dressing like a golfer.'  but there is also a course i play regularly with no dress code.  it's actually in a PA state park right next to the Appalachian Trail.  doesn't get the high class clientele, but i enjoy the course.  i still dress nicely, but when i play in the fall, i'm most likely in jeans.

however, i don't like when courses don't allow cargo shorts.  i don't get it.  i think they still look nice and honestly, they are more functional to me when playing.

•  

noeldaof

that's just the Hawaiian way.  it might be different. but it's their culture.  and i'm ok with that.  they aren't being disrespectful to anyone or the course, that is just how they were raised in their culture. 

• 1781 points

I mostly play on my county owned courses.  Shirt with a collar, shorts ok, no jeans or jeans shorts.  No standards in the club house.  Cargo shorts ok.  Virtually everyone is presentable at these courses, so I have no real issues. 

Once in a while I get a chance to play at a fairly exclusive private course.  Golf attire defined as shirts with collar and slacks.  shorts ok at a bermuda length.  No cargo shorts.  Hats must be worn properly, i.e. not backwards.  No hats in club house.  I don't really have an issue since I'm thrilled to play at this club and respect members wishes.  So long as they have the membership in force to make the club profitable, they should set the standard.