Alabama's RTJ Magnolia Grove

Alabama's RTJ Magnolia Grove

•  

My wife and I made the 3 hour drive to Mobile, AL this weekend to play at Magnolia Grove on the Robert Trent Jones golf trail.  This was my third RTJ site (I've also played Oxmoor Valley and Capitol Hill) but my wifes first.  Having played some of the RTJ tracts, I kind of knew what to expect...a decently long course with fairly generous fairways, lots of bunkers, quite a few forced carries and elevated greens.  I also expected quite a few nice views on the course as well.  Overall, my wife and I really enjoyed our time.  Magnolia Grove has two championship courses (Falls Course and Crossings Course) and a Short Course.  The Crossings course hosts the LPGA Avnet Classic each year.  Both courses were in great shape, but the Crossings course was overseeded (faiways) whereas the Falls course was not.  The course was not overly punishing, and rewarded good shots but didn't completely kill you on bad shots (unlike the Judge and Legislator at Capitol Hill, which are beasts...although also great courses).  The greens were a little slower than I was used to but very puttable.  All in all, I'd return to Magnolia Grove if the opportunity arises.  I have a few pics below for your viewing pleasure.

•  

More pics...

•  

Nice pictures and a good story, thanks for sharing.

•  

I've heard great things about the RTJ golf trail.  I haven't made it out there yet, but I intend to do so soon. Great pictures!

•  

Sounds like a great time! Thanks for the pictures.

•  

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

• 427 points

GTjacket, glad you got to play the course in Mobile.  I've played it a few times.  Living in Pensacola it's only an hour drive for me so it's very do able to play on a weekend or weekday for that matter.  The Crossings is also nice.  They've revamped their greens and from what i hear made them more player friendly.  They used to have a green that had an 8 foot drop from back to front (not fun).

•  

I too have played those courses, along with many of the others (Lakewood, Capitol Hill, rhope, Grand National, The Shoals, Hampton Cove) and always had a great time. Me and Pinkie may make them a road trip this spring. Anyone want to join us for a round or two?

• 3503 points

Nice to see people are still hitting up the Trail! I have only been to Grand National and absolutely loved it. When I lived in Atlanta, I heard how the trail struggled like anything else in America during the recession but the course seems to be in good shape for winter play!

Have you hit up any other Trail courses?

•  

dzabkar

Have you hit up any other Trail courses?

So far I've played Oxmoor Valley in Birmingham, Capitol Hill in Prattville (Montgomery), and Magnolia Grove in Mobile, with plans to also at least play Silver Lakes in Anniston/Gadsden this year and possibly Grand National.  The three venues I've played so far have been a lot of fun and very different.  I will say, if you play Capitol Hill then you'd better bring your "A" game.  That being said, the first tee box on the Judge Course there is one of the best views I've ever seen....absolutely incredible.

•  

that is a nice course and those are some nice pictures

• 3627 points

Awesome pictures, thanks for posting. I love the RTJ trail.