Tar Heel Course Reviews- Las Vegas

Tar Heel Course Reviews- Las Vegas

•  

OK, managed to weather a couple rounds out in Las Vegas this week while I was also attending a trade show for work. First off, it was SO WINDY, with gusts up to 45 mph during my Tuesday round. Made it crazy! So here we go:

Wildhorse Golf Club, Henderson Nevada

Cost-$95 including cart

This is an old school course, and is only about 20 minutes from the rental car counter at McCarran Airport, making it an easy jaunt to get in 18 holes. It's a pretty traditional layout, and comes in at a Par 70 (34-36). The front is much shorter than the back, mostly because you have three par 3's and one par 5 on the front. It will lull you a bit, and the back really gets your attention with some blind shots and a few lay ups due to some water in play. The claim to fame of this course is that it was once owned by Howard Hughes, making it a bit historic and fun.

I would rate it a 7 of 10, and based on convenience to the airport.

Bali Hai Golf Club, Las Vegas

Cost- $200

This course is owned by Walters Golf, which also owns Desert Pines and Royal Links. This course is all man made to resemble a tropical course. I will say it's quite typical for Vegas; tricked up and over priced. What was most maddening was that the greens had been aerated during the week (typical Wlaters Golf), and they did not tell us during the booking. At check in it wasn't mentioned either, and the counter guy was more concerned about us "buying" a fore-caddy ($95 plus tip). I know it sounds cranky to complain about aerated greens, but most reputable facilities notify you at booking and at least offer some type of discount or other amenity for what turns out to be less than optimal conditions.

Again as is typical Vegas, the cart items were double what one would pay at a normal facility, but the guy I was with was on an expense account, so it didn't kill us. But again, it's annoying to overpay for beer and soda's. At the conclusion of our round, we mentioned to the person in the clubhouse that we weredisappointed about the course condition. He was not really concerned and remarked that in order to keep the greens playable they aerate.... quite matter of fact. So we told him we appreciated his "help."

To conclude, I offer this advice... This is now the second time I have had issues with a course from Walters Golf. They are less than reputable and I am swearing their facilities off my "play lists" going forward. They constantly advertise one thing, and if you have any issues, there is not a hint of any "customer is right" mentality. So with this recent experience, I will avoid (and tell others who ask) any and all Walters Golf facilities.  

•  

hey thanks for the reviews tar, well written and welcome back. i agree, aeration is a necessary evil but the proper thing for the pro shop to do is to inform golfers both at booking and at the counter and to offer up some sort of consolation. looks like i wont be getting hai in bali.

•  

excellent feedback..hope everyone continues to offer reviews as they play different courses..Wildhorse sounded like fun!

•  

I wish I had known you would be in town.  Other than the WIND , we had a great experience playing. The Paiute courses (3 of them) are worth the drive north of town. They treat you very well and always have drink specials on the carts.

•  

OU

It was indeed windy! Sorry miss you.

•  

I also hate it when the club staff doesn't tell you MAJOR things that will affect your desire to play their course.  That's probably why they wouldn't tell you, so you wouldn't say 'forget it' and find another course.  They know you're an out of towner, they probably careless about how satisfied you are.

•  

Eric... so true.

That said, in virtually every other circumstance when I travel, and I have travelled a ton, the course has notified me of "conditions" where tings aren't 100% and priced accordingly. 2 years ago in Vegas I played a course called Aviarra and they dropped 50% off their price due to aeration. No questions asked.

But Walter's Golf is notorious for being over priced and offering lousy customer service. This has happened to me at their courses 3 times now.... Really bugs me!

•  

Tarheel,

Was in your old haunt of Hilton Head last week. Palmetto Dunes has the advantage of having three 18 hole courses and when one of the courses is being aerated all play is directed toward the other two courses while the aerated course is closed. Played the RTJ course and the Arthur Hills course and both were in tip top shape and the staff could not have been better.

Also traveled down to Savannah and played The Club at Savannah Harbor. I have played many courses operated by "Troon Golf" and have always found them to be FIRST CLASS and this did not disappoint. Plus Savannah is one great city

•  

Bholl... Down in Hilton Head? Oh man, that is so sweet. Plametto is indeed top notch, and the houses we rent are usually in that Plantation. The  RTJ course is also a very nice track, and I love the holes that occur just after you play the par 5 down to the ocean (the one that's in all the ads). That is a fun stretch in there.

I agree Savannah is a super town. I've only done driving tours there and haven't spent time on any courses there. Always hear great things about The Club at Savannah Harbor, so it's now on my "hit list."  

•  

Tarheel... Try staying at the Westin they offer some stay and play packages. Great restaurants in Savannah and for some different late night entertainment try a "ghost tour". Also if you run into "The Lady Chablis" (could have sworn Chablis was wearing a FJ shirt just like in the sweepstakes) tell her/him Erik still asks about  him/her, uh, or she/he well you know what I mean.

•  

I played Desert Pines in Vegas (Walter's Golf as well) and it was a fabricated course trying to be a Caroline style course.  It was in a very rough neighborhood, and some holes bordered the highway but was well maintained.  Since it's a Dye course I asked if I could get a yardage book.  The kid at the counter just said we don't have em, and left it at that.  I've never played a $100+ course that didn't come with a yardage book, or at least have one available.  The course was in good shape, but the water was just downright nasty.  It smelled terrible, and literally had dead fish floating in it.

Other than that it was decent, but I don't know if I'd pay it or any Walter's course again.  More gimmicky than quality IMO

•  

Revere at Anthem is also a nice set of courses in Vegas. 

Also played Stallion Mountain when they had 3 courses.  I beleive they only have 1 course there now. 

•  

Josh

Welcome and thanks for the note....

Yeah, Walters Golf is  rip off big time. Everything is fabricated (some better, some worse).

•  

What are some of the other Walters Golf Courses?  Are they listed on a website?  Reason I ask is that I have never heard of them (not sure if they are up in the Northeast or not).  I presume that they are a golf management company?

• 435 points

Tar Heel,

Did you get a chance to check out Aliante Golf Club?  I am moving out to Vegas in Nov and am planning on staying in the Aliante area.  You have any recommendations for a home course out there?