Is Carnoustie really that Car-nasty

Is Carnoustie really that Car-nasty

•  

For those of you that have played Carnoustie .... is it really that horrid? Guess that it depends on the weather but I want to be prepared for what is head of me this summer. Keep studying the yardage books and Mr. Mizuno says I will be fine but I am a little in awe.  Did you have fun?

I will have a few rounds under my belt by the time I get there which I am sure will help and I have played links courses before so I know what I am getting into. 

•  

Would guess it really has 100% to do with the weather the day you play, but 19 should be able to give you some good info.

•  

FIRST LET ME SAY THAT I WAS PLAYING ABOUT AS GOOD AS I COULD AT THE TIME 9-10 HDCP.

IT WAS THE HARDEST COURSE I HAVE EVER PLAYED AND I HAVE BEEN LUCKY ENOUGH TO PLAY SOME OF THE BEST COURSES IN THE WORLD.

IF YOU GET A TRULY FLAT LIE YOU WILL BE VERY LUCKY.

THE FAIRWAYS ARE FAIR WIDTH BUT VERY HARD SO MANY TIMES YOU WILL HIT A FAIRWAY AND KICK INTO SOMETHING. SOMETHING BEING ANKLE HIGH GRASS, HEATHER,GORSE,SAND,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH, AND ALMOST ALWAYS ON AN UPHILL,DOWNHILL OR SIDEHILL STANCE.

ALWAYS-REPEAT-ALWAYS TAKE ONE LESS CKUB BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HOLD THE GREENS WITH YOUR SHOT FROM ANY DISTANCE.

WHEN LAYING UP ALWAYS TAKE ONE LESS CLUB BECAUSE EVERYTHING RUNS TO THE HAZARDS.

DEPENDING ON YOUR LUCK THE TRAPS CAN BE ANYTHING FROM TOUGH TO IMPOSSIBLE.

THE GREENS ARE GOOD, MEDIUM SPEED (11-12 SMP) WITH LOTS OF LITTLE UNSEEN ROLLS.- NO GRAIN TO SPEAK OF.VERY FAIR BUT TRICKY.

BE PREPARED FOR WEATHER-ALL KINDS DURING ONE ROUND.TAKE YOUR RAIN GEAR AND LAYER BECAUSE IT CAN GET COLD AND RAINY IN A MINUTE.

WE STAYED IN A B&B ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE FIRST TEE. LOVELY PEOPLE EVERYWHERE AND THEY ALL LOVE THEIR GOLF COURSE. HOTEL AND CLUBHOUSE HAVE EXCELLENT FOOD BUT NOT MANY OTHER PLACES IN TOWN, A FEW NICE PUBS-VERY SMOKY.

ENJOY AND BRING US BACK A BUNCH OF PICTURES/VIDEOS.

CAN I HITCH A RIDE IN YOUR LUGGAGE?

•  

now that sounds fun. have a great time.

from what the announcers at the open say, this is the toughest test in the rota for whatever that's worth.

•  

SORRY MGIRL, I DIDN'T ANSWER YOUR QUESTION. WE HAD A BALL.

AFTER I ALMOST FAINTED ON THE FIRST TEE FROM BEING SO EXCITED TO BE THERE WE SETTLED IN AND PLAYED VERY WELL.

TAKE A MINUTE OR TWO DURING AND AFTER EACH HOLE AND LOOK BACK AT IT AND REPLAY IT IN YOUR HEAD. THAT IS A LOT OF FUN.LOOK AT YOUR LIES AND SEE A SPOT 2 FEET AWAY THAT WOULD HAVE MADE THE SHOT SO MUCH EASIER. THOSE I REMEMBER A LOT AT CARNOUSTIE.

THIS IS BEN HOGAN COUNTRY. YOU WILL SEE HIS PICTURE IN A LOT OF PLACES, HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY FAVORITE PLAYER SINCE I GREW UP WHEN HE WAS THE BEST.

I GAVE MY CADDIE THE BIGGEST TIP I EVER GAVE ANYONE,HE MUST HAVE SAVED ME 5-8 SHOTS. LET YOUR CADDY READ THE GREENS FOR YOU. YOU READ THEM AND THEM ASK HIM WHAT HE THINKS, YOU MAY BE SURPRISED.

HAVE FUN LIKE WE DID. I WILL NEVER FORGET CARNOUSTIE-I'M TEARING UP.

•  

Not an easy question to answer but I'll give it a try.......

First, be sure to have your handicap card or PGA card with you. They usually want to see it before you play.

The weather is a HUGE factor on any links course but it is even more of a factor at Carnoustie. Try to play earlier in the morning before the wind comes up. There is ALWAYS wind but some days are worse than others.

If you can afford to spend the money, arange for a local caddie. Tehy are well worth the money. There are a lot of blind/semi-blind tee shots and getting a good target is the key difference between being able to play the ball from the fairway, just finding it or spending the day in the gourse bushes.

The green are HUGE! You will have a couple of greens that can give you a 50 YARD putt.

Check the signs on the tee box. They give the yardage from the FRONT of the Green to the PIN. The fairway yardage markers are to the FRONT EDGE of the green. The 150 yard marker can be as much as 185-190 to the pin.

Learn how to hit a knock-down shot, you will use it a LOT!

Learn how to play the bump-and-run shot. For the most part leave the lofted wedges in the bag around the greens and keep the ball on the ground.

Bring a lot of balls!

Don't expect to shoot anywhere near your handicap. As a PGA member (normally play to +1) the BEST round I have ever had there is 77. Enjoy the experience. You will be playing the same exact layout as the greats of the game. This course is part of the Open rota and the Sr. Open is there this summer. Something to remember if you are going to try play there.

And Lastly....there is an old addage about Carnoustie It is the hardest course in Great Britian and when the wind blows, it is the HARDEST COURSE in the WORLD!!!

Good Luck and enjoy the experience, I know I do every time I play there.......

•  

Thanks for the tips. Since I play a course with hardly a flat piece of ground I think that it will help. I will be sure to tip my caddie well and say hello to the "wee ice mon" for you. 

•  

19hole

Not an easy question to answer but I'll give it a try.......

First, be sure to have your handicap card or PGA card with you. They usually want to see it before you play.

The weather is a HUGE factor on any links course but it is even more of a factor at Carnoustie. Try to play earlier in the morning before the wind comes up. There is ALWAYS wind but some days are worse than others.

If you can afford to spend the money, arange for a local caddie. Tehy are well worth the money. There are a lot of blind/semi-blind tee shots and getting a good target is the key difference between being able to play the ball from the fairway, just finding it or spending the day in the gourse bushes.

The green are HUGE! You will have a couple of greens that can give you a 50 YARD putt.

Check the signs on the tee box. They give the yardage from the FRONT of the Green to the PIN. The fairway yardage markers are to the FRONT EDGE of the green. The 150 yard marker can be as much as 185-190 to the pin.

Learn how to hit a knock-down shot, you will use it a LOT!

Learn how to play the bump-and-run shot. For the most part leave the lofted wedges in the bag around the greens and keep the ball on the ground.

Bring a lot of balls!

Don't expect to shoot anywhere near your handicap. As a PGA member (normally play to +1) the BEST round I have ever had there is 77. Enjoy the experience. You will be playing the same exact layout as the greats of the game. This course is part of the Open rota and the Sr. Open is there this summer. Something to remember if you are going to try play there.

And Lastly....there is an old addage about Carnoustie It is the hardest course in Great Britian and when the wind blows, it is the HARDEST COURSE in the WORLD!!!

Good Luck and enjoy the experience, I know I do every time I play there.......

GREAT POST 18HOLE AND THNX MGIRL FOR THE POST

EVERY TIME I TALK ABOUT CARNOUSTIE IT GETS ME EMOTIONALLY. IT WAS A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE THAT I WOULDN'T TRADE FOR THE WORLD.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT AND THE MEMORIES.

•  

ONE MORE THING,,,,

ACROSS THE STREET, TOWARDS THE TRAIN TRACKS, THERE IS A ROW OF HOUSES,ETC.

IN ONE OF THEM IS THE B&B WE STAYED IN. IN THE LOBBY OF THAT PLACE IS A PHOTO/PRINT SHOP THAT HAS SOME GREAT PRINTS OF GOLF EVENTS AND PEOPLE AT CARNOUSTIE.

HREAT STUFF-FOR SALE.

WE HAVE A PRINT FROM THERE OVER ONE OF OUR GUEST BEDS AT HOME.

TAKE A LOOK YOU'LL LOVE IT.

ALSO ABOUT 4-5 DOORS DOWN IS THE CLUB OF THE CARNOUSTIE GOLFERS.

YOU CAN GO IN AND JOIN IF YOU WANT. KINDA PRICEY  FOR NOTHING,,,UNLESS YOU COME BACK REGULARLY. NEAT PLACE.

ENJOY !!!!!! 

• 3627 points

Yes, it is!!