BETHPAGE

BETHPAGE

•  

Talking to my  buddy about arranging to go out there to play.  It is roughly an hour and thirty minutes to get there, so the fact that we get to go play there outweighs the ride.  However, the difference in green fees for a resident and non is unbelievable.  During the week on the red course was $35.00 if I'm not mistaken, but it was $100.00 for a non NY resident. 

I don't see a novice like myself paying that much to go play that course.

What do you think?

•  

Nothing like playing Bethpage. The red is great. The black is a bear. I knew that I had made the cut when Mr. Mizuno said that we should go play the black. It is wonderful and worth the money. 100 for a course like that isn't that bad if you think that Harbor Town is 3 and change and think about what it costs to play Pebble or Pinehurst #2. One of the great courses in the world and any golf lover should give himself.. or herself a present. Just plan to get beaten up on the black and love every minute of it. Just remember that the Black is walking only. 

•  

Well I would play the Black instead of the Red if I was coming to play.   Me and buddy have thought about making the trip from Georgia to play there but just haven't worked all the details out yet.   I don't think its that fair that the green fees range that much between resident vs non-resident but you are getting to play a course where major is played for around $100.  Even where tour events if you can get on its not going to be that cheap!

•  

I think anytime you can play a major championship venue you should go for it. Only 1.5 hours away and the $100 ticket is not all that unreasonable IMO.

•  

Pablo, if you can get on, it's worth every penny. As you probably already have heard, people sllep in their cars all night for an opportunity to play the Black. If you decide to give it a try, please count me in!

•  

Pablo

Tough call. Here is my advice. The call is really based on how you approach this, because the Black is a tough course. It will beat you up...

If you are going and then going to cherish the opportunity, not worrying about how you played, then that's great. If, on the other hand, you go and get disheartened about your play, then I say do not go.

Playing on a Championship course is a tough deal, because you really get a sense for what a place is like where the pros play. So answer the questions honestly and then you can decide.

•  

I think I am going to try to make arrangements to get out there this season.  Not for anything more than to say I was there.  I figure that it's one of those things you have to do at least once in your life.  My friend went out and played Palm and Magnolia in Orlando.  He may not go back anytime soon, but he was there.

As far as getting disheartened Tarheel, if I can take the beatings some of the courses out here have given me.  I am pretty sure that knowing this is going to be tougher than those I will be up for what ever comes.  Who knows maybe being there in the shadow of greatness might bring out the best in me, or it could cause me throw my clubs in the ocean and use my shoes to aerate my lawn.

Either way, I was there.

:)

•  

Spoke to one of my investors and he told me that for his birthday he would like to go out and play.

I am looking forward to July.  How sweet will that be.  Circle T, I will let you know what date and with any luck you can meet us there.

•  

Don't worry about getting beaten up. I played it and I am a Girl! The forward tees are about 10 feet in front of the tips on most holes. I was just so fantastic. Here is a pointer however... the rough is crazy. If you are in the rough, chip out sideways. Seriously. You will save strokes in the long run.

You are going to see one fantastic place.

•  

mizunogirl

Don't worry about getting beaten up. I played it and I am a Girl! The forward tees are about 10 feet in front of the tips on most holes. I was just so fantastic. Here is a pointer however... the rough is crazy. If you are in the rough, chip out sideways. Seriously. You will save strokes in the long run.

You are going to see one fantastic place.

I once heard that golf puts everyone on an even plain.  So your being a "girl"and the way I play...  We're even.  LOL.

•  

I have friends in New York and I have played the Black course. Everyone is correct, it will beat you up even when you are in the fairway. The rough is the most brutal that I have played to date.

It was a lot of fun to play and I am glad I had the chance to play it.

Tim

• 1782 points

Make sure you plan your trip well.  There are articles all over the web about sleeping in your car and waiting in line for 24-28 hours to get on the black.  Here is one from a couple of years ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/07/sports/golf/07bethpage.html  You are then tired, sore, and yes still paying $100.  

$100 is a steal to play a championship course though.  Could be the lowest price of any of the major venues...can anyone thing of a lower priced major venue?  

•  

If I ever make it new Bethpage, I plan on playing there.

•  

I hear that they have raised the rates by 15.00. Still worth it.

•  

The reason the rates are so different for NY residents and non-residents is that Bethpage is actually a state park.  All the NY residents are supporting the course with their tax dollars...Overall, an absolutely great deal to play there.