Replica Courses

Replica Courses

•  

I am writing an article on replica courses for my golf magazine. The ones I know about are:

Tour 18 in Houston and in Dallas, which have replica holes from as many as 16 famous courses;

Grand Cypress in Orlando, with its Nicklaus-designed New Course which repicates the Old Course;

International World Tour Golf LInks in Myrtle Beach with 3 nines (Open, Championship and Intenational);

Boyne Highlands' Donald Ross Memorial, with the best of Ross replicas;

Royal Links in Las Vegas, with the best holes of the Open Championship (British Open)

Have any of you played these courses? Do you know of any others? What has your experience been? I may qute you in the article if you give me permission to do so (and to use your real name). Thanks in advance for all the good feedback I know I will receive!

•  

HI GOLFCHICK...........

I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING FOR YOU REGARDING YOUR POST BUT IN THE SAME SORT OF IDEA I OFTEN THOUGHT IT WOULD BE NEAT TO BUILD A MINIATURE GOLF COURSE MODELED AFTER FAMOUS HOLES BUT MADE ON A LARGER SCALE THAN MOST MINIATURE GOLF COURSES.  DON'T KNOW HOW IT WOULD REALLY WORK BUT I CAN ENVISION IT IN MY HEAD............

HOLES WOULD HAVE REAL SAND AND WATER, FAIRWAYS  TEES AND GREENS

JUST A CRAZY IDEA

•  

golfchick, the first course that comes to mind to fit that bill is The Architects Golf Club in Lopatcong, NJ.

i have not played it but it has always interested me from a quality standpoint.

http://www.thearchitectsclub.com/

i'd be very interested in reading your article when it comes out. will you let us know?

•  

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONTACT TEXASLINKSMAGAZINES.COM.

THEY ARE REPORTEDLY THE NATIONS BEST LOCAL GOLF MAGAZINES.

THEIR MAGS HAVE VERY GOOD INFO ON TEXAS LOCAL GOLF.--GOOD SOURCE.

•  

there is also one near the Wisconsin Dells called Northern Bay. have never played it, but here is what they say about it:

Northern Bay Golf Resort & Marina in Arkdale, WI is is the Midwest’s only replica golf course.  The course features 18 holes that are made to replicate the most famous holes in golf.  #3 is a replica of the 16th at Augusta which will have you feeling like you are competing for a green jacket on Sunday.  #10 is a model of the famous island green at the TPC at Sawgrass and will have you sweating while standing on the tee.  And to finish off your round at #18 you will be playing a model of the 18th at Arnie’s Place, the Bay Hill Club.

•  

I played the one in MB a few years ago. I have to admit that we had a lot of fun and they really did a good job with most of the holes. The only problem is that it is hard to get any type of continuity  and you don't really feel like you are playing a course. If you have the attitude that you are just playing hole by hole, you can have fun. However the six iron approach shot that I had at the fake 18th at St. Andrews is nothing like the 3 wood I needed on the real thing.

•  

Hey Chris

I have indeed played 2 of the courses; Royal Links in Las Vegas and The "New" Course in Orlando. That's the Nicklaus Old Course replica.

I'd be happy to chat with you about them if you like. I have played Royal Links 5 or 6 times, and The New twice.

Let me know by PM if you want to connect.

•  

plus that is about as close as I am ever going to get to Pine Valley.....hear that they don't even let women in the gates

•  

There are a couple in the Atlanta area that I've played; Bear's Best which, as the name implies, are 18 of Jack's favorite designs. The other is The Legends of Chateau Elan where Gene Sarazan, Sam Snead and Kathy Whitworth were asked to pick their six favorite holes, it's a fantastic layout and a real challenge. I think a good part of the movie Bobby Jones, Stroke of Genius was filmed there.

•  

I have played both Tour 18 in Dallas and the New Course at Grand Cyprus.

Tour 18 was fun, but I don't think that the holes were all that close to the originals. They more create the "feel" of the original. I will say that the conditions were not all that great the few times that I was there. I would probably not recommend it.

The New Course was interesting. Again, it gives more of a feel of a links course than it is a copy of the Old Course. It is definately laid out as a links style course. It is very flat (if you are over 4' tall you are the tallest thing out there!), the bunkering is very faithful to a links course, the greens a rock hard and fast. If the wind blows, it is pretty hard. If you want a taste of what links golf is like, even though this isn't a true links course, give it a try before you head to Scotland to play.

Just a side note: This can't be a links course by definition. A links course is one that is built on "links land". Links Land is defined as the land that links the land to the sea. If it isn't a streatch of land on the ocean, it isn't a links course.

•  

If your ever in South Jersey, check out.

http://www.mcculloughsgolf.com/index.php

Each hole is based on a hole from one of the courses across the pond.

•  

I played the World Tour in Myrtle Beach and it is way overpriced for the golf.  It's been one of few times I felt I didn't get my money worth when playing a course.  Even the yardage book and bagtag I would never pay $125 to play there again.  Even playing in it Feb. it was way overpriced for the condition.  There were many $50 course that I would choose to play over it.  Their #17 @ Sawgrass and Amen Corner didn't even come close to look like the real thing.  More of a generic yardage and round about look than anything else.

•  

hi golfchick, did you finish your article?

i just saw a list in the back of my zagat guide.

•  

copied from 19th

"Just a side note: This can't be a links course by definition. A links course is one that is built on "links land". Links Land is defined as the land that links the land to the sea. If it isn't a streatch of land on the ocean, it isn't a links course."

Sort of like Champagne and Sparkling Wine. But to tell the truth after 3 bottles I really can't tell much difference

• 3627 points

I've never seen a replica course work usually because the courses are rarely built on land that is similar to the original course.