My Home Course in SW MIchigan

My Home Course in SW MIchigan

•  

http://www.hawksheadlinks.com/

Hawakshead Golf Links has been my home course since 2003 after coming to Michigan from Chapel Hill, NC. As you look to their web site, you will see a lovely B&B INN, cozy restaurant, and Arthur Hills design golf course. The course is a links style and will absolutely test you from every set of tees. The course plays you fairly, and you will find a nice mixture of long par 4's, risk-reward par 4 holes, and some really challenging par 5's. Looks are deceiving, and you can find yourself in trouble quickly in the various waste bunkers or pot bunkers, and there is plenty of heather off the tee as well. The views are fantastic, with the various grasses mixed with changing fall colors and evergreens making for some inspiring scenery.   

There are at least 4 courses that are closer to my home, but I have always found Hawkshead to be the top choice for me. From the awesome staff, great food, and wonderful facilities, this is a must play course when you come to southwest Michigan. I hope you give Hawkshead a try and enjoy the hospitality of this jewel of a facility.

•  

Is this a semi-private club?  One of the top courses in Lincoln is semi-private but they have so many outings during the summer that play is near impossible during the morning/afternoon. 

Unless you are an evening golfer who doesn't mind JUST 9 holes (they have evening league too, so somtimes you're stuck on the range) I would never join.  I am sure yours is nothing like that, but I was surprised to see how often the one here is "booked" for outings and league.  Ridiculous.

•  

This is most definately a public course. What's nice is that since it's a bit off the beaten path, one can always get a tee time. Having the Inn and Restaurant draws folks from Chicago and Indiana, which broadens the "base" of people coming in. Generally the local area is a bit "touristy", so it helps the course, but also for my planning, I know how to navigate the tee times so I get on each week.

I also may not have mentioned, the range here is high quality, with bunker areas, chipping zone up to 30 yards, and a driving area with targets and also laser distance signs set up across the teeing ground. Really helps you zero in on your distances to multiple targets. Very sweet.

•  

Going to try to make a trip west for a visit Tar Heel, when I do I will look you up.

•  

Any time my friend. Just say the word and let me know.

•  

So when is everyone planning a trip to Lincoln?  LOL, it's a real hot spot these days for tourists.... yeah...

•  

EM my friend, and I say this with respect and sincerity....

Linclon has never been on my "must visit" list for some reason. Until there is an ocean view and some fabulous vistas out over the sea and 12 month temperature moderation, you won't see me!

As I recall, I have hit Omaha, so I can say I have been in Nebraska. But Linclon has sadly not made the cut.

But it's a great place for you!

•  

Been to Lincoln  during football season, what a crazy place.  I was there in January a few years back and Nebraska lost...thought somone died the way everyone was acting.

Would love to golf out there, if I ever head that way I'll look you up Eric would like to see your game...sounds like you have a promising future if you pursue golf

•  

Tar Heel... Nebraska is a great climate.  Around 67-70 year around... (inside my house that is).  You are missing out on some fantastic golf courses.  A lot of people have started flying into the Sand Hills region where they have a private landing strip and some of the coolest courses you'll see (most are private).  The Sand Hills region is like links style courses... "Sand Hills Golf Club" designed by Ben Crenshaw (the best course ever besides Augusta and St. Andrews if you ask me) is my favorite.

Another awesome course is the Prairie Club in Valentine, NE (designed by Tom Lehman) and Dismal River Club which is a Jack Nicklaus course.

Honestly, Nebraska is a fly over state, and I will be the first to admit it, but there are some outstanding courses people don't know about.  Also, according to Golf.com, in 2009 Sand Hills in Mullen, NEBRASKA is #11in the WORLD, losing to places like Augusta, St. Andrews and Pebble Beach.  What's Michagan got? Oakland Hills South at #28? LOL JK =)

•  

One day EM, one day.

Like Nebraska, Michigan has some nice spots to play. Arcadia Bluffs is a HOT location. So are the northern courses around Grand Traverse. Lots of diversity of places to play.

Oh yeah, and that Oakland Hills place.

•  

Hey Eric, Northern Michigan has a lot of great courses that don't get rated but are musts to play...if you are ever anywhere near Michigan look me up.

•  

Will do Mondo. 

•  

My home course is Silverhorn Golf Club here in San Antonio, TX. It's a great club and the price's are really good. It is one of the courses managed by Arnold Palmer Golf Mamagment and he has some excellent courses. I haven't taken advantage of it but I believe since I am a member I can use my membership benefits at his other courses ?

http://www.silverhorngolfclub.com/homepage/start_page.php

•  

JB

I saw you resided in San Antonio. Last June I was at a trade show downtown at the convention center, so I took the clubs along for a couple rounds. I played at The Quarry, which is a very nice facility. It's quite interesting along the back nine when you're right up against those old quarry walls. Wanted to hit a shot off them just to see what happened!

Next time I'm in town I'll look you up my friend. Thanks for posting your link here for everyone.

•  

I live in southeast michigan.  I play for the rochester college golf team actually. My friends and I should head their and play the course sometime it sounds really nice.  I work at a Burning Tree country club which I kind of consider my home course or Greystone which is my home course for my school.  I play at Burning Tree the most my friends father owns and one of my good friends is memeber so I am out their all the time.

Caddy13