Planning a "Golf Buddies" Trip

Planning a "Golf Buddies" Trip

•  

Now that I've posted a description of a trip to Scotland I made over 20 years ago, I have a renewed itch to plan one of those "Golf Buddies" trip.

Places I'm considering:

• Myrtle Beach
    • The Robert Trent Jones Trail in Alabama
    • Arizona
    • Las Vegas

Any ideas? Any good sources of information?

•  

Do the Myrtle Beach trip.  Tons of golf courses concentrated in the general area.  Replays are really resonable if you are going to do 36 in a day (depending the time of year you are going)

Lots of other things there also -  Two really big golf stores -  Martins (2 locations) and Golf Dimensions. -  Also 2 Golf Shoes Stores -  Lots of good buys.

If you are there during baseball season - really nice minor league park -  the Pelcans - located on the southern part of Mrytle Beach -  One of the Martins Golf Stores in near the park.

You can play almost any golf designer while at Mrytle Beach.

Just my thoughts.

•  

I don't have a ton of experience in this category compared to 19hole and some of the other experts, but I would also suggest Hilton Head. Plenty of great golf (I was married on Daufuskie Island which has 3 tremendous golf courses just across the sound from Harbourtown) and even better happy hour spots!

Also, if you go to Vegas might be worth taking the drive to play Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV. Absolutely amazing golf course like nothing you've ever played before.

Just a few quick thoughts. I'm actually planning a trip with my dad and brother to Ponte Vedra (Sawgrass!)/St. Augustine next fall so might be asking for some tips as well...

Good luck!

•  

MyFeetAreHappy

Now that I've posted a description of a trip to Scotland I made over 20 years ago, I have a renewed itch to plan one of those "Golf Buddies" trip.

Places I'm considering:

• Myrtle Beach
    • The Robert Trent Jones Trail in Alabama
    • Arizona
    • Las Vegas

Any ideas? Any good sources of information?

What time of year?

•  

I like the Vegas idea... I really enjoyed my trip there last April and there is obviously lots to do when you are not on the course.  Just make sure you wager enough money on the course to cover your gambling for the night (provided you win it)!

•  

Vegas is an awesome trip, just don't make any early tee times if you plan to participate in the night life (time slips away from you out there).  And don't go during the summer if you don't like the HEAT.

Myrtle Beach is where I would choose, rent a condo for a week and enjoy the trip.

•  

I'd suggest Myrtle or Vegas.

Vegas will almost always have great weather, Myrtle could be iffy

•  

ive heard the robert trent jones golf trail is really good i about did it myself but instead i went to san diego, ca 

•  

Hey Feet...

You're getting good advice here, so let me echo a couple.

Myrtle Beach: I have been going with the same group of guys down there for 12 years now. Some in the group just celebrated 20 years going down. In short, there are tons of courses to choose from, and price ranges abound. Get a package and it is about the best deal you can get in the USA. Hokies laid out a bunch of other reasons to go, but here are more... good restaurants at all levels of ranges. You can have high end stuff if you want or get great bar food. I would recommend Pat and Mikes, an Irish bar towards the North end.

Chris also has good advice mentioning Hilton Head. Since it's an island, it is more limited than Myrtle, but not in a bad way. One thing I would say is this... If you are going just buddies (i.e. all guys) then Myrtle is the place. If you are taking the wives along, then pick Hilton Head, as there is much more to do for the ladies in a more upscale way on the island. I have been to HH now 6 times, and I recommend that you play Hilton Head National (Gary Player) and Country Club of Hilton Head. Both really nie. Chris' advice on Dafuskie is also great, but if you stay on the main HH, it is an all day affair to boat over, play and come back. The courses are nice though, as Chris says.

As for Vegas.... I go there a great deal for work and have been probably 50 times. While there are some nice courses for sure, I do not consider it a destination at all. It's prcey and too spread out for me. If you like the Southwest as a place, Phoenix or Palm Desert have been much better choices for me in the past. Prices are comprable, but without the whole Vegas "scene" going on, if you know what I mean.

I am currently planning our trip to Myrtle in April as I write this!!!!!

•  

Tar Heel, where are you going to play this trip to Myrtle???  I go to MB a couple times a year, and have my couple of favorites, but love to try 1 or 2 new ones each time...

•  

Hey Welchy!

We're still planning right now. It looks like the consideration set is:

Oyster Bay (we missed it last year, so due for a re-entry)

Pawley's Plantation (first time last year and loved it)

Legends Courses... We'll probably hit Panther's Run and Tiger Eye. Not sure which of these, because they are all so nice. So many choices!

We're thinking about Thistle this year as well, along with one of the Barefoot courses.

Finally, we will do either Glen Dornach or Heritage Glen. We usually include them every couple years.

We have a group of 16 guys, so by the time everyone's vote comes in, there is a bit of reptition in the courses each year. I'm OK with that since I just love being with the guys... the golf is kind of second nature.

•  

Great stuff, I am about to host the 2nd annual NGL Cup (Ryder Cup-style) with a bunch of buddies but we are taking it on the road in 2011.  Pretty fun guy stuff: golf, drinks, steaks, poker, and I get embroidered team shirts and fitted hats, etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys have to offer, collecting ideas for 2011!

•  

Hey Tar Heel & Welch (and the rest of you!),

Down to some serious planning. Looking at a father & son trip in mid-February with my son's friend and his dad. The two boys were just named captains of their golf team for next Fall, so we're stoked. Two Dads & two 16-year-olds. Good players too.

I found a Myrtle Beach Golf website http://www.mbn.com/ that has all kinds of packages and build-your-own trips as well.

There was mention of "Kids Play Free", so I inquired and was very pleasantly surprised that "Kids" means 16 and under, so cha-ching!! The free golf for kids is limited to these courses: Kings North, National West, National Southcreek, Long Bay, Aberdeen CC, Litchfield CC, River Club, Willbrook Plantation, Blackmoor, Wachesaw East and Waterway Hills.

Looking for feedback on those courses, particularly Kings North, National West, National Southcreek and Waterway Hills. Those 4 are fairly close in proximity to River Oaks, where the condo I'm looking at is located.

Looks like I could get 4 rounds of golf at those 4 courses, plus 5 nights in a 2-bedroom condo at River Oaks for about $1700 total. The big discount is the free golf for the boys.

Any thoughts? Any gotcha's to look out for? Thanks in advance.

•  

Hey MFAH. Glad to offer insights here.

Based on where you are staying, it looks as if you are on the Southern end of MB. One thing you might want to do is check out www.myrtlebeachgolf.com as well. These types of "deals", from kids play free to other perks are quite common, depending on what you book.  Check it and see. I say that because every tour operator and condo group has deals with the courses and the other restaurants and things around MB. They live (or die) on tourism. You can work them for a deal, especially in February.

As for the courses listed, I have played a few; Long Bay(Nicklaus Signaure), Waterway, and Litchfield. Kings is "in scope" for next year actually. All are pretty good.

If you are on the south end you will want to play Pawleys Plantation. It too is a Nicklaus Signature, and a real treat. Played it last year and it is really fine.

As for proximity and multiple courses, you might look up Legends. They have Glen Dornach, Heather Glen, Possum Trot and a couple others. There are villas right by the courses (each wonderful) and then you are also close to Oyster Bay (awesome) and Tidewater (Insane!) that you could play.

If you want to talk 1:1 on this just send me a note and I can connect with you. I have gone for over 10 years now so I have a pretty good lay of the land! 

•  

Hi MFAH and Tar Heel,

Tar Heel's advice is good.  Pawley's Plantation and Tidewater are sort of 'can't miss' at the southern end of the strand.  I would say don't both with Waterway Hills.  Glen Dornoch is a good one.  Check out the Legends Group too.  3 of the courses are in one spot - Heathland, Moorland, and Parkland.  All 3 good course, and interesting in their own right.  I want to say that last one I played in Sept was Parkland, and you'll enjoy it.  Oyster Bay (I think Tar Heel already mentioned) is a good one.  Part of the Legends Group too, but different location.  Hope that helps!  And YES  - DO NOT MISS MARTIN'S!  Right across the street from Broadway at the beach, and just a minute or 2 from the Pelican's baseball park.  Like Tar Heel, feel free to shoot me a PM or e-mail if you're looking for any more info.  Oh, 1 last course I play every time - Grande Dunes resort course.  I'm partial because my folks have a place there right on the course.  It's a little pricey during certain seasons, but when you call, ask about any internet deals/rates going on  - sometimes they are cheaper than the resident rate!  Very long course, well kept, good views of the intracoastal.