Torrey Pines Vacation

Torrey Pines Vacation

• 5713 points

What has been your expierence playing Torrey Pines? Should I hire caddies/forecaddies for my son and I?

•  

I've played several hundred rounds of golf at Torrey and only seen caddies one time. They're not necessary as the course is right out in front of you. If you don't want to carry your bags, then get a cart or pull carts. A yardage book from the pro shop would help if you're needing extra knowledge, but almost all the sprinkler heads are marked with yardage to the center of the green.

When are you planning to play?    

• 5713 points

This is to be a Father son trip. My son will turn 16 next September. I am looking at Mid - August of 2015. Are there any other courses in the area that would be a must play? we wioll be there 4-5 days playing 2-3 rounds of golf. Accomodations? I looked at the Stay and Play packages at the Lodge and the HIlton. Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

•  

Mark, the year I played there, the starter placed me with a group of locals and they were most helpful.  Had a wonderful day with a great bunch of guys.   The course is awesome and need to go back.    

•  

I hope that TNT answers this question for you. He is a regular at Torrey Pines and can give you the best advice.

•  

There is a beautiful hotel, Hotel Del Coronado that Connye and I visited when we were there that is stunning inside and out.  Next time we visit we are definitely staying there.  We want to stay in the older main body of the the hotel.  Might check it out online and see what you think.  We were at a conference in Palm Springs and decided to drive down and knew nothing about the city and did not do too well on picking a hotel.  We had a great time.  I got to play Torrey Pines and we also visited the Zoo which is a lifetime experience in itself.  A must do on your visit to San Diego.  Great climate, food and people.......even found out Connye has relatives in the foothills....

• 2819 points

Mark,I played it several times but not recently. There is absolutely no  need for fore caddies and it is not a tough course to walk with a pull cart. It is a  wonderful experience-enjoy it.

•  

Mark

Excellent news! First off, both Golferdrmjr (Don Milow) and TNT (Todd Turner) play Torrey weekly as they live in San Diego. Any advice they provide is as good as you'll get on the courses. I have played with them twice now and it is a great time, with beautiful views of the Pacific. From my perspective, caddies are not needed at all, and you can easily use a pull cart or ride.

As for the area, oh my. SoCal is home to some wonderful courses, any of which would be fun for you. If you didn't mind a one hour drive north, I would be happy to host you and your son at my club in Mission Viejo; Arroyo Trabucco Golf Club. I leave that to you. If you want to stay down in the SD area, there are two courses I recommend; Maderas Golf Club and Coronado Golf Club. Played them both and they are very fun, though very different.

Hope you enjoy planning the trip.

•  

I have played Torrey a couple of times and agree that no caddie is needed.  Thee are a few others here that frequent the courses regularly and can provide some more insight.  As far as lodging, I have stayed at The Lodge at Torrey Pines when I have been out there and it is very nice.  Certainly has a old, established feel to it and the location can't be beat.

•  

MarkWDallasTx

This is to be a Father son trip. My son will turn 16 next September. I am looking at Mid - August of 2015. Are there any other courses in the area that would be a must play? we wioll be there 4-5 days playing 2-3 rounds of golf. Accomodations? I looked at the Stay and Play packages at the Lodge and the HIlton. Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Mid - August course conditions will be good. The reason I asked is that at the end of Sept. and Oct. the course does a lot of heavy maintenance work and you would be disappointed with the conditions at that time. That time of year is the hottest in San Diego, usually high 70's to 80's on the coast and 80's to 90's inland. I like the coastal courses during the summer. Maderas and Barona are great courses, but are inland and can get hot. Coronado is fun and pretty, right on the San Diego bay with great views. Aviara hosts the LPGA and is very nice but pricey. And you could always play both the North and the South courses, the locals prefer the North as it's a little easier and less expensive. Just depends on how much money you want to spend. Same with lodging, San Diego is the home of vacationers and more hotels than you can shake a stick at. Just pick your price point. Since I live here I haven't stayed at many hotels here, but the Lodge and the Hilton are right on the golf course and make it very easy.

If you have any more questions please ask away.

•  
    Caddies will cost yup upwards of $200 a bag..... If you can hump it, walk or use a pull cart, I think they are $15.. Carts are $30 or 40.. The South will be more or a test and the North a little shorter, but still with nice views. An equally challenging course is Barona Creek about 30 minutes inland from Torrey.

Aviara is nice and they treat you like royalty, but they'll also tap your wallet!
    • 5713 points

I appreciate everyone's input. I am in the planning stage now. I don't want to miss anything that wouldn't be obvious to me playing at Torrey Pines my first time.

•  
    Just bring a charged camera and cash for a well stocked pro shop!
  •  

TNT009
    Just bring a charged camera and cash for a well stocked pro shop!

I was so overwhelmed with the pro shop, when we were there, that I left my credit card there.  My wife kept trying to get me out of the shop.  Fortunately, they had where we were staying and called the hotel.  

• 1989 points

Have fun Mark, sounds like an awesome trip for you and your son.