Japan Golf- Share your thoughts...

Japan Golf- Share your thoughts...

• 527 points

Anyone play golf in Japan? Where? Share your experience...

•  

No but one of my child hood heroes Ted W Lawson spent about "Thirty Seconds over Tokyo"

• 527 points

North of Tokyo there is a course that I am going to hopefully play later summer and it has the longest hole in the world. I believe it is a Par 7 964 yard hole. That will be a treat to play.

•  

Big O

I see you are in Japan. Can you please share where you are located? I believe you may be our first Japanese contributor.

I have never played in Japan, but have visited many times for my work over the years. Visited Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto, Toba, and places in between. Many enjoyable visits.

Welcome to the FJ Community. Enjoy.

•  

I've never been, but it's on the bucket list.  I would love to ski or golf over there.  Additionally they have some really cool golf products that we can't get in the states.

•  

I have played in Japan. I wish I could remember the name of the course but I can't. It was an interesting experience. First impression was interesting; no practice tee and a very small putting green. One caddy for 4 players. She rode a standup buggy and ran clubs out to us in the fairway. If you hit it OB there was a place to drop and hit 4 from in the fairway, I guess to speed up play. The strangest thing was the tee times. One for the 1st and one for the 10th with a 1 1/2 to 2 hour lunch in between. Course conditions were, in a word ....perfect. Only downside is that the caddy switched drivers between my bag and one of the other guys. I didn't find it until I got home on the practice tee for a tournament and found a strang weapon under the headcover. My associate in Japan sent mine to me via FEDEX and had it for the last day of the event.

• 527 points

Tar Heel,

Thank you! I am actually American, but I've been living here almost 4 years. My wife and I are here in Okinawa with the military. She is active duty Air Force. I am currently civil service and a prior service Marine. Japan golf is, in my opinion, quite different form golf back in the states with an emphasis on accuracy and strong iron play (at least here in Okinawa). The Japanese love the game of golf and to them golf is an all day affair. The come early and practice, the play, have lunch which often times is included with your greens and cart fees, hit the sauna, a massage (traditional), and so forth. I also love the fact that they "dress to the nines" to play. It's really quite an experience. I've played in Tokyo and also up in Northern Japan where the fish is the best in the world.

Next time you come and visit, I highly recommend you make time to play. I think that you'll really enjoy it!

• 527 points

Josh,

I highly recommend it, both! Japan has some great golf courses and great ski resorts. Northern Japan gets an obscene amount of snow in the winter. There is a base in Northern Japan, Misawa, where the golf course gets turned into a cross-country ski facility in the winter time. There area where the base is located is just beautiful, out in the middle of the country.

About Japanese golf products, yes! I love the products that they have here vs. back in the states. I have a Japanese Titleist Tour Staff bag, last night I purchased a cool pair of FJ Japanese model golf shoes (EXL Spikeless model), their apparel is much more stylish and even their golf gloves. I look at the American FJ selection vs. the Japanese FJ selection and I just love the Japanese more. FYI, Japanese shoe sizes do run narrower that American. Also, I love their apparel but I cannot fit into their pants. I wanted a pair of plaid Titleist golf pants and I could not put them on past my knees, very narrow. But I purchase their shoes, shirts, and other items. I asked my wife for a new Japan model staff bag (black) for my birthday. I have my fingers crossed....

•  

Hey Big O

Thanks for all the wonderful info. You are surely having a wonderful experience in Japan. I do agree, it is a lovely country and one of the most wonderful countries I have ever been to. And the people are just so nice and respectful.

I remember going to Japan one time, back in the day, and I was changing planes in San Francisco on my way to Osaka. The people at the airport had box upon box of golf gear they were bringing over! Craziest thing I ever saw.

Make certain you enjoy all the experiences. And hopefully you can become a regular here in the Community.