Trump Golf

Trump Golf

• 4903 points

How influential has Trump Golf been in the recent years in the golf course development/management of courses in the U.S. and abroad?

• 1716 points

While he has made some impact, I doubt in the long run, he will have much impact.

• 5061 points

I am not sure how much influence the Trump Organization wields, but Donald has certainly been a buyer, savvily purchasing "A" list properties in financial distress as well as developing a few new courses. It is a time tested investment strategy and works whether you are buying businesses or real estate of all sorts. The discounts that the Trump team negotiate with these indebted courses he's purchased give him the leeway to develop or re-develop properties and leave enough of a financial cushion to manage the courses profitably. While Mr. Trump is a first rate golfer, he is a shrewd negotiator and golf is a business division  of the Trump Organization. While the economics of golf as a business are always challenging (think about how many foursomes a day you can put out on a course? To optimize revenues, you have to align great weather, with excellent conditions at a price that will keep the customer happy and returning. All well and good if you play golf under a bubble on Astroturf! Trump buys himself some leeway in this dubious economic equation by buying quality properties on the cheap. Not every course can charge multi hundred dollar rounds and keep the place full..And even those iconic venues he has bought discover over time that the golf business model is not a strong one. Hence the distressed buys by Trump...

•  

He has leveraged some lovely properties and bought some good deals. He isn't shy about spending money to bring his "vision" to life. In the end, he isn't any more influential than Steve Wynn, another business mogul with cash burning a hole in his pocket to develop over priced venues for the moneyed of the world.

I view golf through this lens. Golf is meant to be played and enjoyed in the outdoors, with views and vistas that take the terrain as it is and viola, a course happens to be there too. They are affordable to many and enjoyed. When the venue is clearly created, when the cost to develop the venue drives exclusivity over enjoyment, then I'm not a big fan. Trump and Wynn like people talking about how exclusive their places are and that's why people should aspire to play there. Because they are "the best." Plenty of fun places that are scenic, fun, sporty, and affordable.

I'll answer this way too. In 100 years no one will be talking about Trump or Wynn. But they will still talk about Ross, Fazio, and Mackenzie.

• 1756 points

Tar Heel

I'll answer this way too. In 100 years no one will be talking about Trump or Wynn. But they will still talk about Ross, Fazio, and Mackenzie.

Well said, sir.  I believe Nicklaus will make that list eventually as well for his design work.

• 4201 points

Tar Heel

I can agree there also.  Trump is doing good things for some courses and I like the design strategies his team employs.  But in the end he's just an owner and owners come and go.  It's the designers / architects that are remembered for their creations.

I'm glad he's around and doing this.  We get some first rate golf out of it!

• 1406 points

MarkWDallasTx
    How influential has Trump Golf been in the recent years in the golf course development/management of courses in the U.S. and abroad?

I've heard for several years that his dream was to own a course that was a regular stop on the PGA tour.  By purchasing the Doral resort and now Turnberry he now has a popular PGA tour stop and a Open Championship rotation course under his belt.  I think he has been influential because everything he does he likes to do it well.  There is always an alternative to Trump and some one else could come in and do their impression of Caddyshack 2 on a legendary track.  No one wants to see that!!!  

To follow up other posts I agree no one cares about who paid the great architect to build the course and will only remember the designer.  I am a big Pete Dye course fan for Tar Heels post.  For kmcmellen, I also agree Nicklaus' courses are starting to really pick up respect across the world.