The infamous ninth green at Yale.

The infamous ninth green at Yale.

• 5677 points

I played at Yale last week and thought you all should get a look at the ninth green. This is the hole where Ben Hogan once found his tee shot, a roughly  200 yard shot from an elevated tee over water, on one plateau while the flag was on the other...NO worries for Mr. Hogan...take out a wedge and  FLY that ball to the other side! Apocryphal? Maybe..A realistic alternative to a crazy hard putt? ONly if the greenskeeper and members aren't in view!

My ball rolled past the pin located on the front tier and came to rest on the fringe. Missed the birdie putt of roughly 20 feet, but made the par putt! Rare for me on this hole..

•  

Only "local knowledge" can save you on a hole like that!

Congratulations on the Par and thanks for sharing.

-ICONs for All

•  

Wow, that's a crazy looking hole and green. A two putt is strong for sure.

• 2123 points

Pack a lunch, you might be there a while.

• 1979 points

Wow, what a cool green. Great 2 putt.

• 2425 points

Yikes, that green is scary.  Good job with the 2 putt, I think I'd be there for a few more than that.

•  

Seth Raynor's also designed the Fox Chapel Golf Club in Pittsburgh, PA.  I learned to play at Fox Chapel on Monday's (caddie day).  Take a look at #17 at Fox Chapel.....the venue for the Senior Players Championship for the past 2 years and the next 5 years to come

•  
    My thinking is it would net out to a flat putt, just don't overthink it and it's pretty easy. Kind of like everything else in the game!

•  

BRUCE
    Seth Raynor's also designed the Fox Chapel Golf Club in Pittsburgh, PA.  I learned to play at Fox Chapel on Monday's (caddie day).  Take a look at #17 at Fox Chapel.....the venue for the Senior Players Championship for the past 2 years and the next 5 years to come

One of my favorite golf course designers.

• 2425 points

@BRUCE  Nice course, which I've never played.  In my poor college student days at Pitt, I played Schenley Park, which at the time was $6 for students.  The holes that crossed the road were always interesting.  A bad drive and you'd hit a car or watch your ball roll back to Oakland.  A good drive and you'd dodge the cars schlepping your bag across the road.  

•  

kmcmellen
    @BRUCE  Nice course, which I've never played.  In my poor college student days at Pitt, I played Schenley Park, which at the time was $6 for students.  The holes that crossed the road were always interesting.  A bad drive and you'd hit a car or watch your ball roll back to Oakland.  A good drive and you'd dodge the cars schlepping your bag across the road.HOW ABOUT THE MATS FOR TEES?  WERE THEY THERE WHEN YOU PLAYED?

•  

HOW ABOUT THE MATS FOR TEES.  WERE THEY THERE WHEN YOU PLAYED?

•  

SCHENLEY PARK WAS BETTER KNOWN AS THE BEST "PARKING" SPOT IN PITTSBURGH.  MANY A LAD AND LASS HAVE LOST THEIR INNOCENCE THERE!

•  

I've played several courses over the years with at least one green of that type.  Blue Ridge Shadows, in northern VA had one on a par 5, with water left.  Many times I've been on one plateau, with the pin on the other.  As Devin said, just don't over think it and it all works out in the end.

• 2425 points

Yes, they still had mats for tees.  Do they still have them now?  I remember the first time I played there thinking, "why is my grandma's doormat on the tee?"

I will neither confirm nor deny the "parking" comment.