Newport National CC

Newport National CC

•  

I was able to sneak in a round up in New England.  We took a little trip furhter south to a little island in Rhode Island.  

We ended up in Portsmouth RI at Newport National.  Nice course tucked down on the island.  The course was in pretty decent shape given the weather we have experienced.  The course had it wet spots, to no surprise.  The greens were in decent shape as well.

We hit a nice day, cool but dry.  

It was the 2nd time I have ever played there, and it had been about 10-12 years since I last played there.

We had a nice day, end up with a few sloppy holes, but no surprises since I hadn't hit a ball in a couple months.  Broke 80 from the back tees with a birdie on the 18th.

Can't wait until Spring truly arives up in New England.

•  

No reason to play the back tees there this early in the season! The course is a bear from back there when it is 80 degrees and sunny!

•  

There's a Newport Country Club out here too! Its in Newport Beach, and the Champions Tour played there this past weekend.

•  

Rub it in a little more, why don't you.....Yes I get it.  It is nice and warm in CA, but New England is where it all started in the US.

•  

I've heard that's a tough course.  I'm hoping to take a little road trip up through the RI/Boston area and try to play as many courses as I can.  Glad to hear some others in the Northeast are getting out on the course.  I tried to get out today, but couldn't find anyone who was off work and wanted to play

•  

I didn't pick the tees, but the course is long, that is for sure.  

We ended up walking, not the best day to walk, but with my XPS's, FJ rain pants, base layer and FJ beenie, I stayed pretty warm and defenitly dry.

I will have to travel back down once the weather breaks.  I think I could have played better, but no complaints given I have played at ALL!

My buddy was -1 on the front and 2 over on the back 9.  He didn't seem to struggle from the back tees what so ever.

Next time, I will give you a call when we head down.

•  

tdogg21
    I've heard that's a tough course.  I'm hoping to take a little road trip up through the RI/Boston area and try to play as many courses as I can.  Glad to hear some others in the Northeast are getting out on the course.  I tried to get out today, but couldn't find anyone who was off work and wanted to play

I'm jealous Buzza.  In the North Shore we're still snowed in for now.  Maybe I'll have to make a drive down.  Tim, if you head up this way, let me know.  Lots of good golf in America's Birthplace.

•  

BostonBuzza
    Rub it in a little more, why don't you.....Yes I get it.  It is nice and warm in CA, but New England is where it all started in the US.

Dude, you're way too sensitive! I was merely stating that we too have a Newport Golf Club. And it had the added benefit of there being a Champions Tour event this pat weekend. I had no intention of saying anything about the weather or any other untoward comment.

Clearly you are reading something much more ominous in..... I think you need a vacation. And some sunshine.....

•  

you are spot on my friend.  Last vacation I had was with all of you.  I certainly enjoyed and need another badly.  I am headed out west next month to San Fran, hopefully I can sneak in a round at some point.

•  

Newport Country Club (the one in RI) was one of the original USGA golf courses.  It was also the host course of the 1st US Open.  NCC is a "very private" club.  Rumor has it that the wait list for those invited to join is over 25 years.

Newport National is a daily fee course roughly 20 minutes away from NCC.  It is a new course that was built to accommodate the Newport tourism crowd.  They had planned to have 1 private 18, and then the daily fee 18.  Turns out that the private course never established itself, so the plans for the daily fee 18 went down the drain and the private course became the daily fee course.  Very well done design with a few strange holes (the 5th, and the 10th come to mind as being oddly designed in my opinion).  The condition has always been very good.  

If you are in the area, give Newport National a try. Devin is right, the tips are a bear (especially if the wind picks up).

• 3506 points

BostonBuzza
    I didn't pick the tees, but the course is long, that is for sure.  

We ended up walking, not the best day to walk, but with my XPS's, FJ rain pants, base layer and FJ beenie, I stayed pretty warm and defenitly dry.

I will have to travel back down once the weather breaks.  I think I could have played better, but no complaints given I have played at ALL!

My buddy was -1 on the front and 2 over on the back 9.  He didn't seem to struggle from the back tees what so ever.

Next time, I will give you a call when we head down.

I play there 3-4 times a month over the summer. My favorite course in R.I. I consider it my "home" course as someone who lives in Newport.

• 2763 points

Getting out here in R.I. dressed for the cold but the ground is still so hard that hitting the turf the wrong way sends vibrations right up the arm. For those of you coming to R.I. there is a course on the other side of R.I. (and just a coup[e of miles off I-95 that is worth trying. Meadowbrook in Richmond was a beat up old course that  was bought out a few years ago and has been turned into a first course track with several different tee options.

•  

zacho
    Getting out here in R.I. dressed for the cold but the ground is still so hard that hitting the turf the wrong way sends vibrations right up the arm. For those of you coming to R.I. there is a course on the other side of R.I. (and just a coup[e of miles off I-95 that is worth trying. Meadowbrook in Richmond was a beat up old course that  was bought out a few years ago and has been turned into a first course track with several different tee options.

Great track out there, can beat you up pretty good from the tips! I believe it is number 4, about a 460 yard dogleg right par 4 that you have to play a low peeling cut off the tee, brutal hole.  That is after hole three which is maybe 250 from the tips to a green that looks it is the half size of a coffee cup.  They should have a beer stand after those two holes!   But I love playing there, wish I made it out there a bit more.