Home owner shoots golfer for breaking window....Hmmmmmm

Home owner shoots golfer for breaking window....Hmmmmmm

•  

Next time you hit a ball and hit someones house remember this story.  

RENO, Nev. – A Reno man has been placed on probation and fined $1,000 for shooting a golfer whose errant ball broke a bedroom window at his home.

A home owner was put on probation for up to five years in Washoe County District Court. He had faced as much as 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine after he earlier pleaded guilty to a felony charge of battery with a deadly weapon.

The unidentified golfer who struck his house took a drop and was attempting to play his next shot on the Lakeridge Golf Course in September 2012 when he fired a shotgun at him. The golfer, who was playing with a friend, was treated at a hospital for minor injuries to an arm and both legs.

The home owner's attorney,  said Friday his client was just waking up when the stray golf ball shattered his bedroom window and sprayed him with glass shards. He shot at the golfer from some 50 yards away in an attempt to scare him, not injure him.......Guess this is one course I will scratch off my list.

• 4131 points

I would not ever play there again if I were you. Do you get a free drop when you get shot?

This sounds similar to Rattle snakes, Alligators, and Ex-wifes.

• 1135 points

I was playing at a course in Las Vegas that snaked through some houses, and I hit a couple of the houses.  One guy, was in his yard and wondered how in the heck I got my ball to hit his home, when I said I was laying up due to a bad lie, he just started laughing.  He tossed me my ball, and even gave us a few cold beers and said have fun.  Sure am glad he was laughing about it and was in a good mood, because me and shotguns do not mix.  

•  

Home owner needs a good lawyer, He faces criminal charges plus a probable huge civil lawsuit.

• 2631 points

if you live on a golf course you have to realize the likelihood of  having your house hit by a golf ball. I wonder if this home owner ever shanked a few of the fairway.

•  

Fired a shotgun at him in an attempt to scare him?  I'd hate to see what they guy would do if he wanted to hurt him.

• 505 points

I thought Shotguns were just for scrambles.....

• 4131 points

When was my daughter was born I bought a new shotgun to "scare" the boys off my porch. I bought a shovel as well.

•  

bholley
    Home owner needs a good lawyer, He faces criminal charges plus a probable huge civil lawsuit.

He had a great lawyer to get him off with probation and a $1000 fine, because he had faced 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine....the article said nothing about a civil suit......I assume one will follow.....there are some crazy dudes out there.....

• 711 points

I find it hilarious that people buy houses on a busy part of the golf course and act so shocked when they get hit.  I understand the golfer is liable and they should take care of the damage but I've seen some irate homeowners over playing partners hitting a bad shot towards their house.  

• 1146 points

bholley

Indeed! The criminal proceeding seemed to be pretty weak. "Battery with a deadly weapon"?  If that were in the inner city and not on a golf course I'd bet it'd be "attempted ***." But yeah, a jury in a civil case will see this much differently.

•  

Played a weekday practice round with a buddy a few years back.  On #9 he pulls his tee shot and broke a window from a condominium/town home complex.  He knocks on the door, woke the ol' lady up, but she had no idea why my buddy is handing her a check- "It's for the glass window.  I broke it with an errant shot, ma'm!", he said.  The old lady then thanks him and off we went.

The same weekend, in a real game, there were commotions ahead- slow play.  We're in the #8 green.  All we saw was a shirtless young man in a cold winter day with a pistol waving it around while he rants and rave about something to four golfers somewhere in the middle right of #9 fairway/rough.  Police and paramedics showed up from a 911 call.

Real classy place, huh!

Anyway, my group took net pars for indi and team match for #9.  We all went on to tee it up on #10.  We also said and agreed, if we get DQ'd for doing that, it would be all worth the fun we had in continuing without having to risk a pulled shot on #9.

Sometimes, ya gotta golf!

•  

Guy needs prison time.... Had it been me, I would have shot back!

•  

First of all, I would NEVER purchase a home next to a golf course.......come on, you are asking for disaster......and the homebuilders just keep building more and more homes closer and closer to the courses and homes keep getting hit by golf balls.......use a little common sense.......

• 5304 points

Sounds like something that would happen in Texas and not Reno, Nevada!  I guess it's the wild, wild west still in Reno.

Personally, I pulled an errant drive once and broke a window (it did sound like a shotgun going off when the ball broke the window).  The home owner came running out of the house and was pretty upset.  I immediately apologized and asked if anybody was hurt by the incident, he said "no" and replied with "thank heavens nobody was hurt" and gave him my business card and old him I would take care of replacing the window.  Focusing on the fact that, at then end of the day nobody was hurt, it was an accident, and I was going to take care of it immediately defused the situation.  We even all started laughing when his wife came out with the ball and asked "Were you looking for this?"