WHERE DO YOU RATE SAWGRASS?

WHERE DO YOU RATE SAWGRASS?

•  

OK Ambassadors, where does Sawgrass rate in your best course list.

And I guess while I'm at may as well also ask for your all time TOP 3 courses (that you have played just for some additional backgroung and comparison.

For those that didn't get the chance to travel to Jacksonville don't be shy - tell us your all time TOP 3 courses (that you have played) as well.

•  

First Top Three  1.  The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island, SC  2. Torrey Pines, CA  3.  Ballybunion, Ireland

Second Top Three  1.  Mirimichi, TN  2.  Spyglass Hill, CA  3.  Surf Club, SC

•  

The Valley course was hard!!!  The bermuda rough was 4 inches and the fairways were brought in tighter on a few holes.  Getting ready for WEB.Com Championship in 2 weeks. Water on every hole.

Sawgrass was fun but you better know your angles.  Not as hard as the Valley and more playable.  The fact that the Players  and the FJAI are the only real tournaments played on the course makes it more relevant I would rate it in the top 25 I have played.

•  

NCBob
    The Valley course was hard!!!  The bermuda rough was 4 inches and the fairways were brought in tighter on a few holes.  Getting ready for WEB.Com Championship in 2 weeks. Water on every hole.

Sawgrass was fun but you better know your angles.  Not as hard as the Valley and more playable.  The fact that the Players  and the FJAI are the only real tournaments played on the course makes it more relevant I would rate it in the top 25 I have played.

WORD FOR WORD BOB, I AGREE. GOOD POST. THANX.

•  

Like any course that's preparing for a professional event, the Valley course was tough. But I actually played it better than the Championship course. The greens were fantastic and the fairways, if you could hit 'em, were so perfect. But the rough was way ROUGH.

Where do they rank? I've had the pleasure of now playing 4 TPC courses, and each had their memorable and iconic look and feel. Obviously Number 17 at Sawgrass is one of the top holes you'll ever play, no matter the course. From a purely visual standpoint, I think Torrey Pines and Spanish Bay were visually spectacular. Plus a place in Northern Michigan called Arcadia Bluffs, cut right along Lake Michigan.

They definately rate the best courses I've played this week....

•  

The most memorable courses I've played are Golden Horseshoe/Gold (Williamsburg, VA), Annandale CC (Madison, MS), and Three Crowns GC (Casper, WY).

• 1763 points

Wow CROCMAN...great topic! Although I've only played throughout the Caribbean and the U.S. it is tough to narrow so many great courses played down to three. So, here is my Top 3.

1) Pelican Hill Golf Club - Simply gorgeous with not a blade of grass out of place.

2) Torrey Pines - Massive fairways and spectacular ocean views with hang gliders lurking in the backdrop on the south course.

3) The Green Monkey, Barbados - The unique quarry walls setting and ocean views is very appealing, but watch out for those green monkeys. Very entertaining, treat them like a hazard.

• 2822 points

I agree with Chuck on Ballybunion.I would add DoonbegY ) ***Norman's course in Ireland) and The Plantation at Kapalua in my top three.

• 5868 points

The Stadium course is my all time favorite.

•  

ChuckZ
    First Top Three  1.  The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island, SC  2. Torrey Pines, CA  3.  Ballybunion, Ireland

Second Top Three  1.  Mirimichi, TN  2.  Spyglass Hill, CA  3.  Surf Club, SC

I have very blessed in having the opportunity to play some nice courses as many of you have and listing just three is very difficult.  Also in my list could have been PGA West (Nicklas), CA, Colonial Country Club, TN.....I'm sure out personal ventures finding us playing many wonderful turfs.......just too may great courses and not enought time...........cz  

•  

i'd have to think about it a while to get a top 3.  but number one is easily Pinehurst #2.  after that would be more Pinehurst courses (i've played 2, 4, 6, and 8), RICC, a couple of the Disney courses, Bahama's Princess, Wild Dunes, Rocky Gap (nice Nicklaus design not too far from me), and The Golden Eagle.  all of them had things about them that i really liked and it would be hard to narrow it down to 2.

• 886 points

Not an Ambassador nor have I played Sawgrass....that said, I rate it a must play :)

• 519 points

I played Sawgrass once and thought it was totally overrated, it's a nice course, but I liked the Valley much better.

My top 3.

1.  Spyglass

2.  The Harvester

3.  Ballyneal

While I think it may be overrated, I would never turn down a invitation to play.

• 519 points

I got to play Pelican Hill a couple of months ago, it was fantastic, I also played Oak Creek which was really nice too and a great practice facility as well.

• 34 points

Top 3 -

Pebble

Bally Bunion (Ireland)

Whistling Straits -

Sawgrass didn't make the top 10 for me....

Fun - but I have been blessed to play all over...

Not over-rated though....