Golf weekend!

Golf weekend!

• 4685 points

So tonite I leave for Michigan.  My brother in law introduced me to a yearly event that he's attended for many years.  It started out as a group of 10 friends having a weekend golf excursion and now has turned into a full weekend tournament with a max of 32 folks in a given year.

We will be in Augusta Michigan at the Gull Lake View resort.   The resort has five courses and we will play one round at each course.  Friday and Saturday are 36 hole days and Sunday is 18 and then I drive home.

The first three rounds are stroke play, fourth round is alternate shot and finally the Sunday AM round is a scramble.  Trophies are awarded to overall low net, low gross, winning scramble and alternate shot teams.  Also the person with the highest / worst score gets the "golden hacker award".  

There are also longest drive holes and there are shortest drive holes.  The person with the shortest drive on that hole gets to tee off first on the next round .. wearing a skirt, and hitting a pink ball with a pink tee.  Handicaps aren't tracked and scoring is done under the Peoria scoring system.  The first three rounds are random draws and then the scramble and alternate shot teams are based upon the last three rounds worth of scoring.

The event is a great time and all proceeds actually go to Make a Wish.  

• 2089 points

Sounds like a great time with proceeds going to a great cause.  Have fun, hit'em straight!!

•  

What a great idea, and the proceeds going to a wonderful organization.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Eight foursomes is a good group.  Think I would want to stay away from the skirt and pink ball.....good luck and most of all, have fun.....cz : )

•  

What a great idea, and the proceeds going to a wonderful organization.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Eight foursomes is a good group.  Think I would want to stay away from the skirt and pink ball.....good luck and most of all, have fun.....cz : )

• 4685 points

I should note that I managed to get "shortest drive" during one of the rounds last year.  Managed to catch a tree and have it come right back up to the tee box!

•  

That sounds like a truly fun outing, Tim.  Plus you look really good ( ;-) ) in a skirt.  Have a blast!  Post some photos for our enjoyment and wonder.

•  

etakmit
    I should note that I managed to get "shortest drive" during one of the rounds last year.  Managed to catch a tree and have it come right back up to the tee box!

Pretty shade of blue.

Have a great time.

• 1362 points

That's a great cause Tim. Sure sounds like a fun event. Blue is definitely your color.

•  

That's a lot of fun golfing for a great cause. . . how'd d'you hit it in skilts!? :-)

•  

Great ideas!  And I love the skirt but your shoes definitely don't match!

•  

etakmit

Firstly have a great time and hope you win a few trophies ... but try and stay away from "golden hacker award" and of course "shortest drive".

Our rules are if you don't get past the ladies tees it's one of these   but thinking the dress maybe the way of the future,

• 4685 points

Back to work this week.  Got 6 rounds of golf in.  18 thursday, 36 friday, 36 saturday, 18 sunday and then a 10 hour drive home after the 18 on Sunday.

We had a great time!  I shot right around my average (100) for the first three rounds (all stroke play).  Our scramble team won the scramble tournament and then my partner and I took 2nd in the alternate shot (we were actually the odds on favorite, he has game and if I'm at least hitting my driver well he has wedge into just about everything that isn't a long par 5).  Fortunately for both of us, any semblance of skill left us first thing Sunday AM!  We par'd the first hole and immediately followed that with a triple!!  It went downhill from there.  No big deal though we had a great time together.

I did win the long drive during the alternate shot round (had a few good chances during the other four rounds, just couldn't keep it in the fairway).  Did NOT win golden hacker (3rd from the bottom) or any shortest drives.

Normally there are 32 people, this year there were 20 so we were down a dozen folks or so.  However we still earned about 2000 for make a wish and the resort we stayed at threw in another 20 bucks a person so we made near 2500 dollars.  So just from this little outing the guy running it made about half of what he needed to grant a wish.  Him and his wife shoot to earn enough to fill 2 - 3 wishes a year (between this event and others that they try to do).  So far they've hit that goal for the last seven years.

A few pictures

This is the view from my balcony.  18th green of the East Course at Gull Lake View.  We actually have a tent where we eat dinner/hang out just to the right of that against the villas we stay in.

One of the skirt wearers

Beautiful view of one of the holes

•  

To all the skirt wearers.....I don't know that I would be posting those pictures.....sounds like fun to raise money but guys you just do no flatter those skirts......sorry......cz  : (

• 4685 points

Haha - that's the point CZ :)  We had one new guy this year and he had to wear the skirt on the first swing of the weekend!  Its a fun way to initiate folks and give people a hard time.  

•  

etakmit
    Haha - that's the point CZ :)  We had one new guy this year and he had to wear the skirt on the first swing of the weekend!  Its a fun way to initiate folks and give people a hard time.

Was the pink ball a prop too or was that for real ... if so, he may need to stay in the skirt (no offence of course ladies!)