Making my first trip to Pinehurst

Making my first trip to Pinehurst

• 1680 points

I am headed to Pinehurst in 2 weeks for my friends bachelor party! I can't wait!

We're playing #2 and probably #1 or #5. Any tips for a first timer going there?

I see that the Titleist guys were there just last week, any special items left behind?

•  

The only tip is really to enjoy yourself and take pictures to post here for us. It's a wonderful place steeped in history, as you'll see. If you haven't totally booked your rounds, consider Pine Needles as a destination. It's a wonderful course that you'll surely enjoy. Or if you want a bit quirky, try Tobacco Road, Mike Strantz's masterpiece.

Enjoy

•  

Enjoy yourself, there are some great courses there, and you are sure to have a wonderful trip, also I might sugguest Dormie Club, great minimalistic course by Crenshaw and Cooke

• 1680 points

I was going to play Tobacco Road but 3 of the 5 guys playing that day aren't skilled enough to play Tobacco Road. One of them is playing their first round of golf.

Thank you for the suggestions though, I feel like I am going to need to go back and play many of the other courses in the area

•  

Have a great time. Pinehurst #2 is on my bucket list.

•  

Adam62482
    I was going to play Tobacco Road but 3 of the 5 guys playing that day aren't skilled enough to play Tobacco Road. One of them is playing their first round of golf.

I would not take him on Pinehurst #2, it will be pinishment. Very tough course for the accomplished player, for a first timer it will be painful!

•  

have a great time! Play well!!!

•  

have fun!  it's not only a great course, but a great golf resort.  the greens can be brutal.  be prepared to putt at least one off the green.  if you get a chance the #8 course is also a good course.

and if your buddy has never played golf, i wouldn't recommend him learning on the #2 course.  it probably won't be a lot of fun for him.

• 1362 points

Hey all, what makes Pinehurst so difficult? I don't know much about it but am very curious since it is on the bucket list.

• 1680 points

Dome shaped greens....I am not taking the beginner on #2

Does anyone have suggestions on dining out there?

•  

JosephR
    Hey all, what makes Pinehurst so difficult? I don't know much about it but am very curious since it is on the bucket list.

tomorrow morning before you have your cereal, flip your *** upside-down and that's the green.  and it is closely mowed to the edges, so if you putt a ball and it catches a slope with the wrong speed, it might roll 20 yards off the green.  add to that some tight fairways and you find yourself needing to make a lot of precise shots.

•  

Adam, if you had experienced players going, I say play #4 - it's my favorite there and forget #5. #1 is fun, but play #8 as well.

However, given the 1st timer in your group, you may want to play #1, #3, #4 and #5 - you'll have fun and save some cash as well.

• 1680 points

We are set on the courses...#2 and either #1 or #5

Really wanted to get some feedback on dining there

•  

fredcloss
    Adam, if you had experienced players going, I say play #4 - it's my favorite there and forget #5. #1 is fun, but play #8 as well.

However, given the 1st timer in your group, you may want to play #1, #3, #4 and #5 - you'll have fun and save some cash as well.

Fred I agree with you except I think #4 is just as difficult as #2 or #8.  Any Donald Ross course as TDogg said have extremely complex greens. Forget the pin, Hit to the center of the green.  #2 was renovated  a couple of years ago in preparation for the 2014 double open.  The men play 1 week and the ladies the very next week.

• 3548 points

Enjoy your trip...there are a lot of great courses in the Sandhills!