2013 US Women's Amateur

2013 US Women's Amateur

•  

This year's tournament will be held in my hometown of Charleston at the Country Club of Charleston designed by Seth Reynor in 1925.  It will be held August 5-11 and will be covered by the networks starting on the 7th.  I will be working as a volunteer driver for the Golf channel for the on air talent on Wed, Thurs, and Friday. The par-3 11th hole will play to 171 yards and is the signature hole of the course. Ben Hogan once said that they should dynamite the green. The extremely large false front will repel any ball that goes not get to the top. Deep bunkers to the left and right challenge the best golfers; however, going right is better than going left. Keep in mind that the green runs away from the player.  Ben took an 8 on the hole and Sam Snead took a 13.  Should be an interesting hole to watch.  cz : )  

• 4655 points

Awesome!  Let us know about your experiences there!

•  

Man, that par 3 has got to be tough.  I kinda want a look at that green-- will definitely have to check if any coverage will be airing.  

•  

The good thing about volunteering for these events, we get to play the course once the tournament is over...I will take a good relaxer and hope for the best.....they play the Azalea there annually, which is one of the top Amateur tournaments and it really test the top Ams in the nation......the Golf channel will be stationed between hole 11 and number 18 so they should be covering it.....interesting fact:  the tee box was a cannon battery during the civil war and was used to protect the Charleston harbor.  I am not a member of the club, but learned that during my walk around of the course.....

•  

That's an interesting history of the nation and the course-- you meant the 11th tee, correct?

The young Lucy Li of NorCal will be included in that competition!  I stumbled on it as I was searching for TV air time.

www.postandcourier.com/.../ten-year-old-qualifies-for-us-women-x2019-s-amateur-at-country-club-of-charleston

Hope to hear more about it.  Thanks, Chuck.

No'l

•  

After experiencing the Women's US Open at Sebonack....This  a tournament not to be missed.....especially since it is in your hometown.....These Gals are hitting 230 easily off the tee,

•  

noeldaof
    That's an interesting history of the nation and the course-- you meant the 11th tee, correct?

The young Lucy Li of NorCal will be included in that competition!  I stumbled on it as I was searching for TV air time.

www.postandcourier.com/.../ten-year-old-qualifies-for-us-women-x2019-s-amateur-at-country-club-of-charleston

Hope to hear more about it.  Thanks, Chuck.

No'l

Unfortunately, Lucy Li did not make it through the qualifying rounds.  She shot 82 on day one and 70 on day two and missed the cut by 2 shots.  A new course record was established at 64 by one of the young ladies and US Women's Am record as well.  Am having a blast working with Phil Blackmar, former PGA Professional and on air commentor for Golf Channel........today is my last day to work with him....going back to playing golf and watching it on TV Sat and Sunday......saw Lucy on the practice putting green and she is so tiny.....cute as a bug.........cz  : )