Where have you been?

Where have you been?

• 1466 points

Just wondering where your favorite course is that you have been to. Where is it and what kind? What makes it your favorite?

Mine is Old Head in Ireland. Incase you haven't seen the course is out on a peninsula that has cliffs that drop hundreds of feet into the ocean. Every hole is on the water at some point and being a true links course you can play it so many different ways depending on the wind.

•  

Oakmont CC - all of the talk about the greens is 100% true, absolute lightning.  I didn't find that as the most difficult part of the course though.

What they don't talk about is the perfectly placed fairway bunkers on almost every hole (not just the pews), there is almost no shot at getting out of these things an getting to the green.  

• 1466 points

I'm now submitting the guess of Oakmont CC for the background???

•  

Gzink96
    I'm now submitting the guess of Oakmont CC for the background???

lol nope Oakmont doesn't have many trees on the property.

• 4565 points

I haven't had the chance to play much of anything real cool (just local courses mostly).  But the two I enjoyed the most were Shenendoah at Turning Stone in Central NY and Ravenwood Golf in Western NY

• 2072 points

Galena IL there is a resort called Eagle Ridge Resort.  They have 4 courses on the property, but the one they call the General is absolutly amazing.  

• 1466 points

Devin_Gmitter
    Gzink96I'm now submitting the guess of Oakmont CC for the background???    lol nope Oakmont doesn't have many trees on the property.

Had to throw it out there, just in case

•  

Augusta National - went there for a practice round in 2010 (no, I did not play).  The only way to describe it is that everything is perfect there.  As for a course that I have played...I would say Newport Country Club (RI).  Historical course with amazing character.

•  

been to augusta and kiawah island but haven't played.

played pinehurst #2.  all three are great courses and if you have the chance to play/see any of them, go for it!

• 3551 points

I've been fortunate enough to play a lot of great golf courses and I'm a member at a facility that has hosted several Champions Tour events and a major championship (Tanglewood Park) so, it's hard for me to pick just one. Pinehurst #2, TPC Sawgrass, Harbour Town, and The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island are all great tracks that I have enjoyed. Some of my favorites are Bayside Golf Club in Shelbyville, DE, it's a Jack Nicklaus design that is carved through marsh lands with great views of the Ocean City, MD skyline. Primland Resort, mountain golf at its best, set in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia with amazing views. Another mountain course is Grandfather Mountain CC (NC), a great Ellis Maples layout with tree lined fairways and great views. The Sea Side Course at Sea Island GA is another favorite, great ocean views. I'm also a huge fan of Mike Strantz designs Tot Hill Farm, Tobacco Road, True Blue, Caledonia, and Bull's Bay are all amazing. I also have a special place in my heart for The Wilds Golf Club in Minnesota it was the first place I broke 70!      

•  

While not a connoisseur of famed golf courses, of the courses I've played I would go with Annandale CC (Madison, MS), NCR South (Dayton, OH), Kananaskis (either course, Alberta), Royal Kaanapali (Maui), Champions GC/Cypress Creek (Houston), and Whiskey Creek (MD).  I've played Tobacco Road and was a bit overwhelmed at the time.  I'd need to go back and try it again.  I've also played Banff Springs, but so long ago that I cannot truly remember it.  I just know I enjoyed playing it at the time.

• 2819 points

Dunvegan,a Greg Norman course in Ireland  was the tops. Kapalua ,Whistling Straits and Muirfield Village are also at the top.

• 1466 points

ToddL
    Augusta National - went there for a practice round in 2010 (no, I did not play).  The only way to describe it is that everything is perfect there.  As for a course that I have played...I would say Newport Country Club (RI).  Historical course with amazing character.

Played Newport a bunch of times, awesome course!

•  

The best and most fun I have ever had on a golf course was at Waterville in Ireland.  

• 2801 points

I have played several courses in Ireland - Ballyliffin, European Club and Royal Portrush among them.  I have played Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run as well as TPC Sawgrass in the US.  My favorite course that I have not played is Augusta Natl where I saw a Monday Practice round a couple years ago.   the course was as someone mentioned was immaculate -- it was like visiting Disney World for the first time except for golfers.  As for a course I played I enjoyed the river protion of the river course at Blackwolf Run -- i have played it several times and the first time was the best as the river was flowing crystal clear that day and glistenning in the sunlight.  a course I would love to play besides Augusta would be Pebble Beach.