What courses are you playing?

What courses are you playing?

• 1466 points

Just wondering what kinds of courses everyone is playing and the basic layout. I play a course that is very carved into the land in terms of all of the lakes and even ocean. Short about 6400 but developed by Donald Ross so greens are a little tricky!

Thanks for any feedback!

•  

Gzink

My home course is a links style done by Tom Lehman. It winds through a canyon and foothills, so there are lots of views of mountains and back down over the course as you wind around. A little water and lots of bunkers to play around. In addition, the fairways are really hard and fast, so knowing how to play the ground as well as the air is a big bonus and helps your scoring.

There are no houses on it, but many forms of wildlife. That's a bonus because you never know what you'll see from week to week or hole to hole.

I'm heading back to Michigan over Memorial Day, so I plan to play some golf back there. Lots of courses to choose from, and I am not sure what type I'll play back there.....

•  

I have been playing one of the cheapest public courses in Columbus Ohio. it is called Minerva lakes golf course it is a nice course for the price

•  

The course we play sets on a foothills of San Gabriel mountains.  It's a Billy Bell, Jr. who built most or many of the courses out here in California in the 50s.  I don't always tee it from the back which is 6,962.  The whites at 6,629 is more than enough for me (normally).  The greens are tiny compared to the modern courses and it has a predominant break, but even though we know it, the optical illusion takes over and gets us-- still.

The roughs around the greens are being cut down now.  The course is going back to its original intent/design.  Even some of the roughs along the fairways are also being cut down.  There are nothing to hold a hot ball off the mounds of the greens, and there are also not much rough to keep a running ball into bunkers and lakes or junks. . . (yikes!).  The USOQ just had a lot of fun with it today (my favorite golfer won it!).  Everyone now at the club is talking about how much fun the Sr. USOQ and the US Am Q are going to have in a month and the following, respectively.

Wind is like clockwork up there.  But we've lost lots of trees and the links that it is are revealing itself more and more.

The clubhouse is still the original building from the early 1950s. . . still can't wear a hat inside though.

=============

The other course I play often is down in the lower desert.  It is carved around homes in a retirement community with two loops of 9s.  A par 71, with yards of 6,773 from the back.  Large greens that has 3 and some even 4 sections and close to a very undulated greens with some lakes but lots of enormous sized bunkers.  Schidt/Curley, the designers calls them whale tails as they appear to mimic an image from a distance.  Other than that, the course is loads of fun!

It has an adjacent course of 18 holes, with all par 3s.  It's beautifully done and very appealing to many.  Lots of water, not much trees, but plenty of shrubberies that looks good, but not good for golf balls.  It plays pretty tough, and fun.  Lots of lakes in play.  The two back tees are really not made for retirees.

•  

Ballyowen and Wild Turkey at Crystal Springs Resort in North Jersey.  Challenging layouts.   Ballyowen is a links design complete with bagpiper on 18 at the end of the day.

•  

Deno, I just looked that up.  What a great course it looks like.

•  

My home course, Aston Oaks, is a Jack Nicklaus design about 6900 yards tipped out but on a typical day it is likely 6700ish. A LOT of elevation change from many of the tees: uphill on many of the par 4s and downhill on every par 3 but one. It's a course you cannot overpower or you will find all kinds of trouble.

•  

I play a The Pete Dye River Course of Virginia Tech.  The course is built in a River Bottom.

Many Great Views (this is hole number 6 from the highest elevation on the course, which is one of the tees) -  the New River runs along holes 3, 8, and 9 on the front -  holes 12, 13, 14, 17, & 18 on the back nine.  The Club House set on a bluff about 100 yards above the course.

The above is a photo looking toward the 18th from the club house deck. Wonderful course that plays anywhere from 6100 to 7600 in length.  Typical Pete Dye greens with smaller greens, *** bunkers, but no railroad ties.

• 1466 points

So jealous these all sound awesome!

• 344 points

Coyote Ridge Golf Club is my home course, two different nines front is more open links style layout, back nine cut out of a quarry more trees. I usually play the blues at 6495.

•  

My current home course has two 18 hole courses:  Tradition and Cypress.  The former hosts the Monday qualifier for the Shell Houston Open each year, so you'll have an idea of its quality.  The latter is a twisty little *** that forces you to make wise decisions on club selection and location to hit the greens.  The main group I play with alternates the courses by day of the week as much as possible, as long as the course is not closed for an outing.  There are lots of outings on Tradition, so we often are on Cypress more frequently.  We really like having two different courses that play differently to help keep our games sharper.

•  

Echelon Golf Course less than 3 miles from the house.

www.echelonliving.com/.../layout.asp

•  

I play Porters Neck CC in Wilmington, NC. A good Tom Fazio design. Greens are diabolical, especially when they run quick. Tee to green not that hard. We play it about 6800.

•  

It is a real challang Noel.   There are 5 courses at Crystal Springs Resort and Ballyowen is my fave.   You really have to ponder your shots.  A true gem in Jersey.   Black Bear is another there.  As the name implies....too scary for me.  I was teeing up my ball, looked down my sight line and saw a 400 pounder 50 feet away.  I skipped that hole for sure.

• 2712 points

We have a weekly game at Acushnet River Valley in Mass.  It is a muni which is always in great condition. The front is wooded and hilly and the back is flat and links type. When the wind is up it can be a factor on the  back nine.