Myrtle Beach

Myrtle Beach

•  

I just returned from my annual guys beach trip to MB. This was the 25th anniversary for the core group, and my 15th year. We ended up playing Monday through Saturday at a wide ranging series of courses; Pawleys Plantation, Litchfield Country Club, Eastport, Panthers Run, Oyster Bay, and Heather Glen.

As usually happens, there was a lot of wind most days, especially on the inter coastal courses. Made for some higher than normal scores, but still lots of fun. On Saturday our group holds an annual scramble for a "Medallion," something similar to an olympic medal. Been doing this for the past 4 years to honor one of our friends who passed away. This year, at Panther Run, our team was victorious and came home with a victory. For two of us it was our first medallion win, so lots of special pride there.

It seems Myrtle Beach is not fully recovered from the rough economic times, and there are many places that are still shuttered and closed. The rental properties along the beach where we stay were over 80% empty, which is pretty high for this time of year.

I'm sure if you choose to go down there are plenty of deals to be had. At Pawleys Plantation their posted rate was $125, and we got on for $59, a huge discount. Make sure you shop around and check for deals!

•  

sounds like a fun trip!  i really love that area and it's painful to watch places close down.  i think everyone there is feeling the push from the economy, but on the bright side, it's still thriving, so hopefully most of them can come through stronger.  the course i belong to is actually up for sale in bankruptcy court.  we are all just hoping and praying whoever buys it will keep the golf courses in place.  too many people put too many of their eggs in the real estate basket and now they are paying the price.

glad to hear you had a good time.  i'm hoping to get down there for almost the entire month of June.

•  

I'm going in mid-June (U.S. Open week).  We're set to play three of the Legends courses--Parkland, Heathland, and Moorland--plus Heritage Club and Oyster Bay.  This will be my first golf trip to Myrtle, so I'm looking forward to it.

•  

MB has it all. Lots of good courses. You really can't go wrong.  Unfortunately it was overbuilt w golf courses a number of years ago, now there are still too many with too few golfers.  Use to play there at least once a month in an amateur golf tour. Fortunate enough to play lots of good courses down there.

•  

Congrats on your Medallion win Randy.  I have to make it back there real soon.

•  

pulplvr
    I'm going in mid-June (U.S. Open week).  We're set to play three of the Legends courses--Parkland, Heathland, and Moorland--plus Heritage Club and Oyster Bay.  This will be my first golf trip to Myrtle, so I'm looking forward to it.

Pulp

The Legends courses are all top notch and very nice. They're also very different, so you'll have lots of variety. Oyster is one of my all time favorites because you get lots of water in play with fun, challenging holes. Plus they have a few Gators to inspire good shots around the water!

•  

Tar Heel
    pulplvrI'm going in mid-June (U.S. Open week).  We're set to play three of the Legends courses--Parkland, Heathland, and Moorland--plus Heritage Club and Oyster Bay.  This will be my first golf trip to Myrtle, so I'm looking forward to it.

Pulp

The Legends courses are all top notch and very nice. They're also very different, so you'll have lots of variety. Oyster is one of my all time favorites because you get lots of water in play with fun, challenging holes. Plus they have a few Gators to inspire good shots around the water!

Thanks, Randy.  That makes the trip even more enticing.

•  

Thanks for the report on MB,, Randy....Definitely a place targeting to play in the near future

• 4586 points

Randy great report.  The wife wants to replace some of our occasional ski trips with the occasional golf trip and MB is on the list!

•  

I've been in MB all this week on a "guys trip". We had a great time playing the Fazio, Dye and Love courses at Barefoot Resort, Myrtle Beach National north course, Prestwick and World Tour. However, the fairways were very spotty and the greens were very slow. Plus, many of the greens were dealing with fungal problems. I won't be coming back anytime soon - I can play on bad turf at home.

•  

fredcloss
    I've been in MB all this week on a "guys trip". We had a great time playing the Fazio, Dye and Love courses at Barefoot Resort, Myrtle Beach National north course, Prestwick and World Tour. However, the fairways were very spotty and the greens were very slow. Plus, many of the greens were dealing with fungal problems. I won't be coming back anytime soon - I can play on bad turf at home.

Fred, I was down in MB last week too, as was Bobby Swain. I went to my 26th annual get together, and will say that I'm saddened to hear of your report.

We played the north side of town, going to Glen Dornach, Lions Paw, and Pearl West this year. Our Oyster Bay round got stormed out Wednesday, so I missed out on my favorite course.

Each of our courses did not have the spotty fairways you mentioned, though we did have slower than normal greens. Every course had overseeded and fertilized recently, as they always do in April to prepare for the hot, humid summer months. But the greens all rolled fabulously.

Sorry you had a bad time. Going to MB is always one of my annual highlights.

•  

Freddy - Sorry to hear you had such poor conditions.  I typically don't make it down until the summer, but I almost always have great conditions.  My guess would be the winter was hard on them.  They had a tough winter (by South Carolina standards) and might not have had the time to do the proper maintenance yet this year.

•  

Typical conditions on SC mid-state to coastal courses in SC this time of year.....have had a lot of rain lately........drives us nuts.....played interclub yesterday and faced the exact same conditions......not a lot of fun......we live in Charleston and very seldom go up to MB to play......

•  

Typical conditions on SC mid-state to coastal courses in SC this time of year.....have had a lot of rain lately........drives us nuts.....played interclub yesterday and faced the exact same conditions......not a lot of fun......we live in Charleston and very seldom go up to MB to play......

•  

Weather this winter was brutal on our course here in NC along the coast.  The fairways are usually Bermuda grass and it is just starting to warm up enough for it to come out of dormancy.  Many courses overseed in the winter with rye grass.  Just like Augusta National which is all rye.  They close the course shortly after the Masters and don't open it till October.  The downside with overseeding is it makes it difficult to for spring growth  of the bermuda.to come through .