Golf in Ann Arbor MI

Golf in Ann Arbor MI

•  

Hey FJC, Looks like my work will be taking me to Ann Arbor MI this spring.  I've spent some time in MI, but never in the good old M Go Blue country.  Of course my clubs will be tagging along, anyone have any favorite tracks in wolverine country?

•  

Josh,

Randy or Mondo should have some good suggestions for you. Enjoy!

•  

The University of Michigan Golf Course is an Alister MacKenzie design and may be worth checking out.

http://www.mgoblue.com/facilities/golf-course.html

•  

I'll be at the university so that'll happen

•  

UM's course is outstanding!  I would defer to TarHeel as he would be the resident Ann Arbor expert.

•  

This would be the first Alistair Mackenzie course I've ever played!  I'm hoping my vendor ID badge will suffice in getting me on

•  

Josh

My daughter attended UM, so I have had the pleasure of experiencing a ton that A2 has to offer. It's a great town and golf there is a treat as well.

If you are working in A2 then there are a host of things to do, see, experience. The UM course is considered "private," and for use by alumni and their guests. If you are in town for an event at the university, that can get you proxy if you are a savvy negotiator. I got on my first time there prior to my daughter attending with somw sweet talking. They may charge you a tad bit more, but you'll get on. Otherwise, a trick I use is to say you are attending some event at the Ross Business School for the week. That should work.

As for the UM course.... It is a McKenzie course full of hills and small greens. It's a fun, fair test of golf. When you're on top of some of the higher elevations you get awesome views of the town of A2 and the university's wonderful architecture. And since you are literally across the street from Michigan Stadium, you see that a fair amount as well.

When in town, you must visit Zingerman's Deli, an authentic NY style deli, unique to A2. The owners are often mention in business magazines for their rich history and wonderful products. And of course you must head to Angelo's for breakfast, right near the UM Hospital System, it is one of those places that can't be missed. And like any university area, simply walking the streets and mingling with the locals has a spirit all it's own.

I miss Ann Arbor a lot. If I can give you any more info send me a PM and I will help you out.

•  

Well I finally got out on the UM course today- what a treat. My vendor badge and a little bit of sweet talk got me right out there. I've only played Augusta on my Wii, but I can see the resemblance. The greens were very tricky with a lot of subtle breaks, every hole was unique and memorable. The course was in awesome condition as well. I'm definitely going to try to get out there again. A little course knowledge would go along way out here. Great day, great course, and Heel, I've been to Zingerman's a couple of times. Another excellent recommendation. I don't think I had a bad meal, or beverage my whole time in A2.

•  

Josh, I'm envious on multiple levels man. I miss A2 so much! Great town, wonderful atmosphere, and a lot great experiences. Can you picture that place on a football Saturday! You didn't mention the views and vistas. Aren't those wonderful, especially on number 18 tee box. Really a special course.

Glad it all worked out and also glad you have gotten to Zingerman's. Now you need to hit Angelo's. It's just over by the hospital and a short jump from where the golf course is located.

Enjoy the time there.

• 5550 points

Golf and Zingerman's. I get a big to go box everytime I get up there.

http://www.zingermans.com/

• 2756 points

Michael Phelps ate at the Broken Egg every day while he was there, I like Angelo's on game day Saturday's in the fall, Tio's is decent and was featured on Man vs. Food.....but my favorite spot is Maize and Blue Deli.

If you're still looking for courses, these are within a few minutes to a few hours - My favorite MI tracks are:  Forest Dunes, Eagle Eye, Arcadia Bluffs, Detroit Golf Club and CC of Lansing.

•  

Ryan, have enjoyed playing both Arcadia Bluffs (the Michigan version of Whistling Straits) and also Detroit Golf Club.

• 2756 points

TH, next time you're back in MI, lets get together and play Forest Dunes!  Maybe the best in the state...and an easy drive from Mid-Michigan.

•  

I have a brief trip back home this weekend, but no clubs coming. Next big trip back is Labor Day.

•  

Tar Heel
    Josh, I'm envious on multiple levels man. I miss A2 so much! Great town, wonderful atmosphere, and a lot great experiences. Can you picture that place on a football Saturday! You didn't mention the views and vistas. Aren't those wonderful, especially on number 18 tee box. Really a special course.

Glad it all worked out and also glad you have gotten to Zingerman's. Now you need to hit Angelo's. It's just over by the hospital and a short jump from where the golf course is located.

Enjoy the time there.

The views were very nice.  The top of hole 18 is great and brings the only water on the course into play.  If you go back and you want to try something new go to What Crepe.  It's a Crepe place and is just fantastic for dinner.  They have steak and truffle crepe that's to die for!