Changes at The Old Course

Changes at The Old Course

•  

Have you all read about the changes they are making to The Old Course at St. Andrews in preparation for the Open Championship's return in 2015?

I got this info from a news release today:

The work is planned to take place in two phases over this winter and next. The first phase involves work on holes numbered 2, 7, 11 and 17, while the second phase, set for winter 2013-14, will include holes numbered 3, 4, 6, 9 and 15. Among the enhancements will be the widening of the 17th hole's Road Bunker on the right hand side and recontour a small portion of the front of the green to enable it to gather more approach shots landing in that area.

•  

Interesting. I am not sure I will like it. old course has some low scores but only when it has no wind. with the wind it still has some serious teeth. I still remember Duval in the road hold bunker in 2000

•  

Chris, I saw this today in an article. Seems everything changes, doesn't it?

•  

There was a segment on the Golf Channel this morning on this, great timing GC(GolfChick).  The course is not the original layout and there has been changes, just like everything else in life.  Just hope it doesnt get too out of control.

•  

Thanks for the update , Chris.....As they say - Change is good. From what I understand many changes to courses hosting championships are to make them more playable, provide more action and create better visuals for the TV cameras.

•  

No gain without change.  The option is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

•  

i think that it should stay the same it is challanging the way it is you dont change old course

•  

I read that last night as well. The Old Course is a gem and a couple of tweeks are only going to make it better. Not sure 17 needs to be any more difficult, but these guys are pros they should be challenged.

• 3539 points

Tweaks are fine...I just hope they don't make any drastic changes.

•  

No changes are needed. The weather is the defense for the Old Course. Let them try to shoot 59 out there, better chance of an 89!

•  

Rick is right - weather is the key out there.  They do not need to change it.  

Making more visuals for TV, well, now that is certainly a driving force.  The $$$ generated from the networks are huge and they usually can get what they want...

• 36 points

One of the greatest I've ever played.  17 is a beast but I can understand the tweaks for. It to retain that difficulty with today's long hitters.  

•  

Just narrow the fairway or let the rough grow up, no other changes needed!

•  

Update -- The R&A says there's a lot of misinformation out there about the changes proposed: http://golfweek.com/news/2012/dec/02/exclusive-dawson-says-too-much-old-course-hysteria/

• 3627 points

The changes at the Old Course are a shame.