Forums

Lake Muskoka region golf

• 5061 points

I recently returned from a business trip where I stayed at the Marriott Resort at Lake Muskoka - Highly recommend the hotel - impeccable accommodations! I only had time and the opportunity to play the resort course, a Faldo design. he day was cold, windy, and rainy for the first couple of holes. Needless to say, conditions were challenging. I also had to play with resort rental clubs though I was surprised at the quality of the offering - A set of late model Nike players clubs. Not Titleist, but not bad!

The course meanders through varied terrain along and around rock outcroppings, ledges with elevation changes the norm considering the course is built into and around hilly acreage.

This is actually a very challenging layout with a premium placed on shot making and course management - this isn't a bomb and gouge kind of course! The signature hole is a dog leg right hole featuring a downhill, drive of maybe 220 yards to the edge of a step drop. From here you have an elevated shot of 180 to 195 yards down to the green - Pretty neat shot though you do NOT have the option of truly pounding a drive and attempting to reach to valley floor below negating any risk/reward temptation - Too close to the tree line on the right side to take a driver and give it a go (and given that we were playing a scramble, big hitters would've LOVED to take shot at it!

All in all, this Marriott resort course is very nice should you find yourself in the Lake Muskoka region, a beautiful area!

•  

I hope you had either a GPS or a yardage book!!!

On a course like that without "local knowledge" would be adventurous and frustrating.

If I get down to the region, I will check this track out.

Thanks for sharing.

-ICONs for ALL

• 5061 points

A yardage book indeed will help the uninitiated  - I piped a few drives through blind doglegs - resort golf can be boringly routed with a premium put on moving along players with minimal time spent looking for wayward shots OR you get courses like this one where several holes clearly require some local knowledge...or a few more golf balls!

• 674 points

Muskoka is such an excellent golf experience, literally impossible to find a course you wouldnt enjoy.