Forums

Best public Course I've ever played

•  

The back nine a Pacific Grove is a fine tract to play and beautiful to walk........a true Public Links course on the Ocean at Carmel.......need to experience this threat from mother nature........poor mans PebbleBeach......

• 728 points

Pelican Hills North and South course

• 859 points

csassone13
    If you haven't had a chance to play it and your travel's take you to Orlando, treat yourself and play at Orange County national.  In case you don't know, this is where they hold "Q" School every couple years and was the best public course I have ever played.  ( as my title might suggest)

It is a nice track.  Played there last April.  OC was the first round followed by Waldorf Orlando, Streamsong Blue & Red the next day, Tiburon Black & Gold the next and Grey Oaks to wrap the trip the next.  Would play all but Waldorf again.

•  

the best public course I have played is either eagle sticks gc or Williamsburg national gc

•  

I think if you ever got that way, you'd find that Three Crowns in Casper, WY is an outstanding track.  It's just a bit out of the way for most folks.  I have truly enjoyed playing the Golden Horseshoe Gold course in Williamsburg, VA.  Very tight, older style RTJ course, but memorable in many, many ways--not all of them because of good shots.  I don't know if it qualifies under tdogg's walk in on Wednesday afternoon or get a tee time within a week criteria, or if it more properly is called a resort course.

• 366 points

Chambers Bay in University Place, Washington, it will be getting a little harder to get weekend tee times on short notice as it is the site of the 2015 US Open. Weekdays 24 hours notice, no problem, green fee not bad!

• 460 points

Played both of Orange County National's courses. Would definitely return. Bethpage Black was great. Would like to play Pebble Beach and Whistling Straits.

• 2712 points

I agree with Chuck on Ballybunyon but another one in the same neighborhood is Greg Normans Doonbeg (as long as you can handle a long  long walking course). Both are great tracks with awesome scenery.

• 367 points

That's quite a list; wish I'd been along on that trip!  I've played Tiburon & OC National.  In my opinion, Arcadia Bluffs in Michigan is better (more difficult) and prettier than either.  Would like to hear your opinion of Streamsong.  Everyone I have talked to that has been there RAVES about it.