Forums

Best public Course I've ever played

• 433 points

If you haven't had a chance to play it and your travel's take you to Orlando, treat yourself and play at Orange County national.  In case you don't know, this is where they hold "Q" School every couple years and was the best public course I have ever played.  ( as my title might suggest)

•  

We'll have to keep that in mind.  thanks.

Welcome to FJC.

•  

Welcome to the FJC cassone 13.

It's a little far from home for me but Orlando's on my agenda for next US visit and now I know where to go to play ... after all "best ever" is always worth taking note of.

OZ-Crocman

• 2819 points

I played Orange County two years ago. I agree,they have a wonderful complex. The course(s)  make you think but  aren't killers.

•  

It would have to be a great course with those credentials

•  

Great golf course for sure.   Everything is first class including accomodations.

• 1458 points

Wow, this is an old post...but goodness, what an incredible facility. I'd sure like to see something like this in the DC area.

•  

Best public course in the world....Old Course @ St. Andrews!

•  

Best public course in US...Pebble Beach.

•  

Teeth of the Dog in Dom Rep!

Love me some Diabolical Dye!

•  

almost hard to call Pinehurst, Kiawah, and Pebble Beach "public" courses, but I've played Pinehurst #2.  it's definitely the best public course I've ever played.

I'd like to see a list of the best truly public courses.  In other words, what is the best course I could walk into the pro shop on a Wednesday afternoon and get on without a tee time?  Or be able to get a tee time a week or less a head of time.

• 1458 points

Great topic! I love it because everyone has their own definition of "best". Tdogg, your on to something in terms of weekday walk ins...and my goodness, it's hard to call some courses "public." That being said, you gotta mention some of the course in the UK: St. Andrews, Carnoustie...

•  

One of the best public courses I have played is Longaberger Golf Club in Newark, Ohio.  I realize this does not have the name cache of Kiawah, etc...however I think it is a real winner and open to the public.  Another great one is TPC Scottsdale which is open for daily play and where they play the Phoenix Open.  

•  

Have not been to Scotland but Ballybunyon in Ireland is a great course and least we forget Torrey Pines in SD.....great course....personally I would rather play Spyglass Hill than Pebble Beach....too touristy.....

• 5454 points

Bethpage Black - Best deal in public golf