Forums

Golf in Aruba

• 349 points

Vacationing in Aruba in November and seeking feedback on courses there.  I know Tierra del Sol is a Robert Trent Jones II course and I have high expectations for the course, but my wife is not as avid a golfer so I am looking for less expensive green fees than TdS or Divi.  Aruba Golf Club looks inexpensive, but the description of the course has me councerned about the quality of the course.  A "desert" course with "oiled sand greens" doesn't sound appealing. 

•  

I hear Aruba is amazing.  Please post some pictures and let us know how it goes.  It's next on my list of places to visit.

•  

jwkoon0

Vacationing in Aruba in November and seeking feedback on courses there.  I know Tierra del Sol is a Robert Trent Jones II course and I have high expectations for the course, but my wife is not as avid a golfer so I am looking for less expensive green fees than TdS or Divi.  Aruba Golf Club looks inexpensive, but the description of the course has me councerned about the quality of the course.  A "desert" course with "oiled sand greens" doesn't sound appealing. 

let us know how the trip goes ? 

I was interested in the oiled sand greens you mentioned, this one is in Morocco but is most likely what they are talking about.

•  

Was in Aruba a number of years ago. Played Tierra del Sol.  It was brutally windy and an extremely tough go. I think the course would have been great if the wind was a gentle ocean breeze. The wind blows hard on that end of island all the time.  Also don't forget sun screen. The sun is also brutal due to proximity to the equator.  Have a great trip.

• 349 points

Thanks for the info and good wishes.  We are planning on using sun BLOCK...friends gave us PLENTY of warning about the sun exposure.  TdS is WAY above my wife's skill level and will be a good challenge for me. 

•  
    Played TDS, a few years ago and the wind is BrUtAl, the driving range faces the ocean and wind was off the ocean! You learned quickly to warm up with driver to avoid taking a divot and getting a face full of sand! It's gorgeous, but if winds up, your wife won't enjoy it.... That said, have fun!
    • 349 points

Everyone I have talked to who has been to Aruba has been there multiple times or will definitely go back again.  I have not heard ANY negatives about the island.  Yes, I will definitely post pictures!

• 349 points

Thanks for the picture!  I found some information on oiled sand greens online.  Some are oiled with used motor oil, some with fuel oil, others with soy oil.  They claim that once the oil has soaked and 'dried" in the sun, the sand will not stick to your shoes and the oil stays in the sand.  One article I read claimed that oiled sand greens were more consistent for ball speed and roll than grass greens.  I still haven't decided if we will play AGC, but if we do, I will definitely post a report.

• 349 points

I'm hearing a lot about the wind on that part of the island.  Wife will be at the salon when I'm playing TdS:)