Forums

Kohler, Wisconsin

•  

Played Whistling Straits yesterday and here are some pics:

•  

Played Black Wolf Run River Course today. A couple of pics:

•  

Looks like the weather was quite different on your two days there, Bob.  Both look pretty tough.  were they?

• 2718 points

Bob,I played The Straits a few years ago and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I can't think of many other courses in The States that as similar to links courses in The U.K.

•  

Really like Whistling Straits - hope you did not ground your club off the fairway..

Very different style courses - which did you prefer?

•  

Played The Irish Course at Whistling Straits.  Acouple of pics:

•  

The Straits course was amazingly difficult.  The wind was blowing so hard off Lake Michigan, it was a 3 club wind.  Clouds and rain and sunshine interspersed all three days.  At Black Wolf Run they took us off the course for lightning. Today at the Irish I was in and out of my FJ rain gear 2 times.  

Playing the Straits course and the River course was a treat because of the Championships having been held there.  As far as enjoying golf I liked the Irish course the best. My buddy liked the River Course the best.

•  

zacho

Bob,I played The Straits a few years ago and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. I can't think of many other courses in The States that as similar to links courses in The U.K.

Zacho, I have been very fortunate having been able to play in both Scotland and Ireland.  The look at the Straits would give you the impression of a links course with the sand dunes and the rough.  But the course was very soft and did not have the fairway bunkering in the middle of the fairway like a lot of Scottish courses.  But it sure wasn't parkland. It just was not suited to the bump and run. The experience is amazing and one I will always remember.

• 2490 points

have played Blackwolf river course, when water is clear and sun is shining that stretch by the river is gorgeous, just glistens.  as you are in Wisconsin is your next stop Erin Hills?  future site of a US Open and hosted US amateur last year.  

•  

Tough courses for sure.... Pictures don't do justice to the difficulty and the beauty of the courses.

•  

I can attest to Tar Heel's statements. Pictures do not do it justice. I would say that Erin Hills is on par with any of the Kohler Properties.

•  

Great photos, Bob. Sounds like the weather cooperated to simulate typical 'Links' conditions. Kohler is on my list of golf destinations.......Thanks for sharing your experience !

•  

Great pics, NCBob Thanks for sharing! looks nice. Did you miss any of those bunkers ?

•  

RANDYWILDMAN

Great pics, NCBob Thanks for sharing! looks nice. Did you miss any of those bunkers ?

I found a few. I had so many awkward stances I didn't know how to hit it standing level.  Had a couple stances in bunkers like Tiger had in the open. It was crazy.  Actually you were better off in the bunkers than in the rough if you had a stance.

•  

Amazing pics!

That is truely an awesome property. Thanks for sharing.

-ICONs for ALL