Forums

Golf in New England

•  

noeldaof
    Wow, what a cool thread this has been!  This is most especially great for the guys who would visit and wonder where to play.

Guys, what time of year would you say is best in a year to play New England courses?

You can usually play by St. Paddy's day, but April and May are great months in New England. I also really like fall ball in September and October. Summer is good too, but it can be pretty hot and humid.  

•  

I live in northern Mass., but play most of my golf at Atkinson C.C. in southern N.H. The greens are not in the shape they used to be, but they're working hard to bring them back.

For the past few years, I've been playing in State Am qualifiers and mid-Ams, so I've seen some of the nice courses N.H. has to offer - private tracks like Concord CC, Lake Winnipesaukee, Nashua CC, and Manchester CC; and public ones like Windham, Souhegan Woods, Kingswood, and further north is Owl's Nest.

Can't wait for spring!

• 5143 points

Not aware of whether the crew at Ballymeade also works the course across the street - it is a new private club named the Golf Club of Cape Cod. I have not played there as yet but did submit a winning bid in a silent auction for a round there which I will cash in once the season is underway!  

Ballymeade has been softened a bit, thankfully. Back at its inception Dave Marr was the tour pro "guest pro" and the course was an ornery narrow tour through the pines with little to no chance of recovery if you missed the fairway. It still has some of that bite, but some fairways were given gentler contours - It is a delightful test and one I highly recommend.

The Golf Club of Cape Cod had the "luck" of opening its doors in the fall of 2008 - just as the world imploded - They had to scramble when the initial membership drive (aimed at those who could afford a high five or six figure initiation fee) yielded zip, nada, not a soul!  They crafted some alternate membership tiers to accommodate the times and impinged cash flows and they have come along beautifully, I think! the course is a Rees Jones design and is highly regarded. Great club dedicated to being a good member of the community supporting local charities and working to make a positive impression. One of the few clubs with an active caddy program.

here is a video of Rees Jones speaking to the membership of TGCCC about his design concept here and philosophy:

http://www.tgccapecod.com/Cape-Cod-Golf-Course-Movie-Player.asp?videoID=4

If you ever wanted to move to the Cape, this club is a strong reason to move to Falmouth! 

•  

I'm gonna have to plan a Cape trip this summer. Looks like a lot of awesome golf down there

• 2736 points

If you can,try for June or Sept. July and August The Cape  can get pretty hectic.

• 5143 points

Zacho is absolutely right,  I think Cape golf is best prior to memorial Day or after Labor Day - Rates soften, the throng s of summer visitors depart, and its a bit easier to manage a tee time.Anyone thinking of the Cape, should stop on the way south from Boston and play at Pine Hills - two course complex with very nice tracks. Located in Plymouth, MA..There are a couple of other higher end public courses in Plymouth that are very nice - Waverly Oaks and Atlantic Country Club.For those out in the community who are members of a club, see if you have reciprocal privileges with  one of the best courses in New England, Old Sandwich Golf Club. A gem and classic in the making.