Forums

Golf in New England

•  

Just played Haystack golf club in VT.  It was a great course.  There's a lot of elevation changes, great views, interesting greens, and a cool layout.  It's a good mix of holes, and every hole is enjoyable.  If you're looking for a mountain course this is the one.  The practice facility is just fine for a warm up, but not great for an actual practice session.  The staff was very friendly.  The fairways were a bit rough, but apparently there's been a lot of rain.  The greens were in good shape.  I'd play it again.

•  

Josh, sounds like your having a great fall!  Two courses on the Cape I liked, Dennis Highlands and Dennis Pines. Also Wachusett CC in West Boylston.

• 5683 points

Actually, the Fox golf courses, Crumpin, Fox Hopyard and a course in Florida named Fox Hollow. Owned and operated by a family named Sandri -  The Sandri family is in the petroleum products distribution business -  headquartered in Greenfield,  Massachusetts. Must be a family full of golf addicts!!

•  

And must like to hut Foxes or raise them...

•  

Thanks for the recommendation Zach.  Nothing better than trying new courses. I'll put it on the docket for next season

• 3066 points

Paul G
    Josh, sounds like your having a great fall!  Two courses on the Cape I liked, Dennis Highlands and Dennis Pines. Also Wachusett CC in West Boylston.

Thanks for the reminder. I love Wachusett as well, but haven't played since I moved to the Mass coast.

Can't believe that for only $699, residents get full membership to both Dennis Highlands and Dennis Pines. They are both great courses (6500 to 7000 yds). I may have to move to Dennis next year.

•  

parthur

Paul G

Thanks for the reminder. I love Wachusett as well, but haven't played since I moved to the Mass coast.

Can't believe that for only $699, residents get full membership to both Dennis Highlands and Dennis Pines. They are both great courses (6500 to 7000 yds). I may have to move to Dennis next year.

Wow, how much are they for the daily fee?  I'd love to make a long day or even a weekend out of it.  It's easy to talk my Wife into going down cape.

• 3066 points

Wow, how much are they for the daily fee?  I'd love to make a long day or even a weekend out of it.  It's easy to talk my Wife into going down cape.[/quote]

This years rates for either course: (FSSH = Fri-Sun + Holidays) Carts:18 Holes: $18.00 per rider

Apr 1 – May 17 & Oct 16 – Oct 31:

(Mon – Thu $43, aft 1 & early back 9 $34) (FSSH $53, aft 1 & early back 9 $41) (every day aft 4 $27)

May 18 – June 14 & Sep 10 – Oct 15:

(Mon – Thu $53, aft 1 & early back 9 $41) (FSSH $66, aft 1 & early back 9 $41) (every day aft 4 $27)

June 15 – Sep 9: (Every day $66, Mon – Thu 11 – 1 $53, every day aft 1& early back 9 $41, aft 4 $27)

Nov 1 – Mar 31: (Every day $35, aft 1 and early back 9 $20)

Dennis Pines is a much better challenge, although both are really good.

• 5683 points

Another Cape golf bargain is found at Ballymeade Country Club in North Falmouth, MA. From now until 12/24 buy 6 rounds for $275.00 or 12 rounds for $500! This course was built as part of a real estate development project 20 or so years ago. Originally, Dave Marr was the "consulting pro" for the course. Over the years, the design has been modified somewhat but it remains a wonderful challenge of hilly holes, fair greens complexes, an imaginative and fun layout. go to Ballymeade.com to get s better idea of the course. I've played there many times and enjoy it every time. Summer greens fees, like many places on the Cape rocket to $100+ a round making this seasonal sale a great absolute and relative bargain.

• 5683 points

Another bargain in the membership category for Cape courses is offered for residents of Barnstable. Barnstable comprises a number of towns - Hyannis, Cotuit, and others. For residents - $850 for a full membership and for non-residents $1150 buys you unlimited play at two courses at discounted greens fees: Hyannis Golf club and Olde Barnstable County Fairgrounds. The latter, a Mark Mungeam design, is a wonderful challenge - Hyannis is tree lined fairways and excellent greens - also a good challenge. H

• 5683 points

I misquoted the cost of golf at Hyannis and Olde Barnstable County Fairgrounds - The membership rates include unlimited golf - no additional greens fees! Living on the Cape has LOTS of golf perks!

•  

That is a great bargin for Ballymeade.  In its hayday, that was a premiere course until the new one opened right  down the road.  I could be wrong, but I think that they actually share the groundscrew.  Cape Cod Country Club or Country Club of Cape Cod, I forgot which is the correct name, but back to the point.  Great price for 6 or 12 rounds if you can get down there enough.

•  

Wow, what a cool thread this has been!  This is most especially great for the guys who would visit and wonder where to play.

Guys, what time of year would you say is best in a year to play New England courses?

• 2860 points

Late spring or Sept./Oct. are the best. Of course if you like to play in the heat July/August would be your choice(the heat is usually not brutal)

•  

Noel, I prefer late summer.  I get inspired when the FedEx comes to town and like to get as many rounds in as possible late August early September.