Forums

Three Crowns Golf Course, Casper, WY

•  

On a recent visit to Casper, WY, I had the opportunity to play the Three Crowns Golf Course.  It is a Robert Trent Jones, Jr. course built on the former site of a Standard Oil refinery.  No trees, plays like a links course, and has some very interesting holes.  I played the tees next to the back (approx. 6600 yds).  I've included a couple of photos I took of the course.  I highly recommend if you are in the area --even passing through on your way to Yellowstone NP or Jackson Hole-- that you make time to play this course.  Casper is known for its windy conditions, so this one plays tough.

The range.

Clubhouse from the 18th hole.

•  

Big Sky Country is on my to do list.

No trees, sand and wind would remind me of home.

OZ-Crocman

•  

Well here it is! We've never had a Wyoming review before. Most excellent.

•  

Well, Randy, let me give you some more.  On the Friday, I played in a scramble at the municipal golf course I grew up on in Casper 50+ years ago.  Of course they've added a new nine and scrambled up the old flow of holes, but it's still "home" to me as far as golf goes.  Here are a couple of pictures so you can compare the Casper municipal course with the Three Crowns upscale course.  Casper also has two country clubs.  Not bad for a town of (now) about 55,000.  All but the Three Crowns course were there when I was a youngster.

Putting green at the clubhouse

View from the 1st tee.

There were a total of eight young pronghorn antelope between the 8th green and the 9th tee.

View from the 11th tee across the range and clubhouse toward downtown Casper.

Group in front of us on the 11th tee (green is behind tree in front of tee boxes).

View from the 11th tee of the 10th green and 12th hole.  This 10th, 11th and 12th holes are all part of the newest 9 holes at the course.

• 2180 points

3 crowns is a great little course. Usually always in great shape. Bought the only good thing about that town, hahaha. There is literally tons of hidden gems around the Midwest. If you are ever back in the area look at playing the devils tower course at huellet,wy. http://devilstowergolf.com/ Played a lot of courses around the US that one is hard to beat.
  •  
    REBEL
    3 crowns is a great little course. Usually always in great shape. Bought the only good thing about that town, hahaha. There is literally tons of hidden gems around the Midwest. If you are ever back in the area look at playing the devils tower course at huellet,wy. http://devilstowergolf.com/ Played a lot of courses around the US that one is hard to beat.
    Rebel, funny you should mention that one. I checked it out in 2002, when I was looking at possible retirement locales. It was only 9 holes then, with the second 9 under construction. Did not play, but toured the entire development. I'll have to go back, play the course, and see how everything looks now. It appeared to be designed for fly-in residents, as their summer home. Not my lifestyle.
    • 2180 points

pulplvr
    REBEL
    Rebel, funny you should mention that one. I checked it out in 2002, when I was looking at possible retirement locales. It was only 9 holes then, with the second 9 under construction. Did not play, but toured the entire development. I'll have to go back, play the course, and see how everything looks now. It appeared to be designed for fly-in residents, as their summer home. Not my lifestyle.
    And it kinda still is. The great thing about it is those members are there very little throughout the year. Besides tourneys you can morning to night and hardly see another golfer.