Forums

Any New Yorkers?? Favorite Course in NY??

• 832 points

Mine is Stafford Country Club. One of the few courses I can play horrible and want to keep going and play 18 more. Instead of going to the 19th hole

• 1790 points

I live in NJ so don't get up your way much (or ever really).  Even though I'm close I don't play in NY much, something about the traffic getting in and out of NY.  There's a couple of state courses I like, outside of Bethpage.  Montawk Downs (I believe that's the name) is challenging and pretty.  I also play rockland state park once in a while.  Course is poorly maintained but has great views and is a decent set of holes.

• 832 points

I am sad to say this but I have never been to NYC and lived in Western NY for my entire 24 years of my life!! In my eyes NYC is a state and Western NY is a state, but don't get me started this is a golf site. I will keep my views of my state away from it.

•  

Must admit I am the same ... never been to NY or NYC (yet) and I've been on this planet nearly twice as long as you.

However I do live a little over 14,000 miles away so I'c cutting myself some slack.

OZ-Crocman      ONE DAY !!!

• 1790 points

airsinclair23

I am sad to say this but I have never been to NYC and lived in Western NY for my entire 24 years of my life!! In my eyes NYC is a state and Western NY is a state, but don't get me started this is a golf site. I will keep my views of my state away from it.

No need to get started on that.  I've heard about the situation for years.  The area around NYC may just have the greatest collection of golf courses anywhere in the world.  two problems: great courses are not accessable and the muni's /state owned are struggling back from years of neglect.  There's not much middle ground, i.e., privately owned daily fee courses which are well maintained.  There are a few in western and souther NJ, (crystal spings with 5 courses and a bunch of course in atlantic city.  but that's 1.5 and 3 hours from the city respectively.  I'm guessing your neck of the woods has less courses, but greater accessability.

• 832 points

Ya the Rochester Area is great for golf. Some great golf history here. Jeff Sulman, Walter Hagen, Joey Sindelar, and tons of D1 college golfers. Ya NYC sounds like just a bunch of people squeezed into very little space. Also heard lots of angry people. Western NY people are laid back for the most part, but we do have alot of cry babies. Think its all the Snow we get.

• 1790 points

airsinclair23

Ya the Rochester Area is great for golf. Some great golf history here. Jeff Sulman, Walter Hagen, Joey Sindelar, and tons of D1 college golfers. Ya NYC sounds like just a bunch of people squeezed into very little space. Also heard lots of angry people. Western NY people are laid back for the most part, but we do have alot of cry babies. Think its all the Snow we get.

Ha Ha.

I think you nailed it.  NYC is a nice place to visit though.  Maybe not for golf, but you have almost any kind of activity or entertainment any time of the day.

I remember lake effect snow from the couple of years I spent in Ohio.  But we tend to get more ice and freezing rain, which entails a separate kind of trouble.

• 832 points

Ya freezing rain is far more dangerous for driving because of the black Ice on the roads. Snow is nothing if your smart and have a 3rd grade education you can drive in it. I would have to say Ohio is similar to Western NY. We Deal with the same types of weather.  

•  

I go to upstate for work all the time, and I'm always bringing my clubs.  I played Casperkill in Poughkeepsie last time I was there and really liked it.  I go all the way out to Syracuse once a quarter so I'll take any suggestions from Poughkeepsie north and west.

•  

I lived on Long Island (Smithtown) for 2 years.  Played Bethpage a lot.  I really enjoyed playing the town course in Smithtown - for a muni it was a good track.  

• 636 points

Lots of good golf on Long Island, but it's a hike from NYC. Calverton Links, Tallgrass and Middle Island Country Club are fine courses. Just outside of NYC in Westchester County is a good county course called Maple Moor.
  •  

I have never been that far East for any reason.

Maybe that will change for the FJA Invitational this year.

TT

• 636 points

There really is no reason at all to go this far east! Lol! Sure - some of the courses are nice, but there's plenty of good golf much closer to the city.