Forums

Bayonet and Blackhorse Golf Courses.

•  

The PGA Professional National Championship tournament is being played in Seaside, Ca. just above the Monterey Peninsula. It's at the Bayonet and Blackhorse Golf Courses, the area once belonging to Fort Ord, an Army base. These are two great courses not far from the coast and kind of remind me of Torrey Pines, but with huge trees spread out around the courses. They have had many stage two PGA Tour qualifiers along with many other events there. Both courses were completely redone a few years ago along with a brand new, fantastic driving range. 

You can watch this tournament on the Golf Channel in the afternoon on Tuesday and Wednesday. TNT's and my Pro played in this event two years ago and stumbled coming in to just miss playing in the PGA Championship. Look for course Pros that you know, some of those guys are there every year!

I have played the Bayonet course a couple of times and recommend it highly. If you are ever in the area, don't over look these two great golf courses. And they are a bargain compared to Pebble Beach prices.

•  

Good call golfer.  The military has some jewels.  Unfortunately they are generally not open to the public, so they are rarely recognized.  

•  

NCBob

Good call golfer.  The military has some jewels.  Unfortunately they are generally not open to the public, so they are rarely recognized.  

In this case, golfers got the best deal due to base closures. Some military courses are now open to the public due to low play or monetary reasons. Admiral Baker, a Navy recreation area here in San Diego, has two golf courses you can now play as a civilian. The North course at 6,800 yards, was recently upgraded with all new greens and is a good challenge.

•  

I believe the quality of a military course depends entirely on whether the Commanding Officer plays golf or not.

•  

bholley

I believe the quality of a military course depends entirely on whether the Commanding Officer plays golf or not.

That is an absolute truth...Because he has to have meetings with respective Senators; members of Congress and other dignataries 9-HAHA).

-ICONs for ALL

•  

I might just have to second that.  Muroc Lake GC is inside the Edwards AFB.  In the 90s, this course designed by Willam Bell, Jr. was very and meticulously maintained like what you would see in resorts.  The generals were golfers.  Though it remains to be a great layout and a good course, the conditions aren't going to impress anyone anymore today.  So sorry to say that.