Forums

Amen Corner in North Texas

•  

I took the week off and played a lot of golf. Since gas prices are still a bit high, we decided to stay close to town.  On Wednesday I went to play one of my favorite courses in the DFW area - Tour 18. Tour 18 is a collection of replica holes from US Open sites such as Augusta, Doral, Harbor Town, Medinah, TPC Sawgras, and Riviera.  The last 3 holes are magnificent - Amen corner. Here are a few pictures I snapped on my phone.  This would be a great to have some sort of FJA get together.

•  

Have heard quite a bit about this course.

How many of the holes are instantly recognisable?

Assume you get a blurb on the card or tee box for each hole but just wondering how many of the 18 you automatically know.

OZ-Crocman 

•  

The place looks outstanding.

Do they set up the course to the same standards as the original hole? That would really make it feel authentic (kick your .... and like it).

-ICONs for ALL

•  
    I have played the Tour 18 a few times and must say that I was disappointed with the conditions. Almost no rough and pretty thin fairways. The greens had a lot of unrepaired ball marks and the pace of play was 5 hours. Don't think I would go back.
  •  

CROCMAN

Have heard quite a bit about this course.

How many of the holes are instantly recognisable?

Assume you get a blurb on the card or tee box for each hole but just wondering how many of the 18 you automatically know.

OZ-Crocman 

Probably the most famous holes are Amen Corner, TPC Sawgrass #17 (the island green), and Doral #18 (blue monster). At each hole they have a short write up of the hole and why it is famous.

•  

19hole
    I have played the Tour 18 a few times and must say that I was disappointed with the conditions. Almost no rough and pretty thin fairways. The greens had a lot of unrepaired ball marks and the pace of play was 5 hours. Don't think I would go back.

How long has it been since you've played it? I heard a few years ago, it was pretty crappy, but management has made a lot of changes.  The round I played was pretty quick - I finished in 4 hours.  I totally understand about not going back to a course after a 5 hour round. I don't think I would ever play this course on a weekend.  I played a different course in Ft. Worth on Thursday and it drove me nuts waiting at each hole - I sent an email to the course manager and told him I'm not coming back.  I've got to the point that I will try to play in the worst weather, just so I can play at my own pace. I love FJ's winter apparel!

•  

there is a place like that near me (mid-Atlantic area) but i've never played it.  i looked at the pictures on-line and wasn't impressed.  some of the holes 'look' like the actual hole, but none of them were great copies.

•  

Have been down there years ago and while it was a neat course.  I did not enjoy the long round and price for what we got.  Many other courses in the area that I would rather visit.

TT

•  

OUTIGER

Have been down there years ago and while it was a neat course.  I did not enjoy the long round and price for what we got.  Many other courses in the area that I would rather visit.

TT

I hear you about the price...it is very expensive. I've actually never payed full price...always use the avid golfer coupons, so it's usually less than $40. I've only played it 3 times, and each time I played by myself, so it went pretty quick.  Once it was in Feb and 35 degrees...once it started to rain I had the entire course to myself.  The other two times I've played it were early on weekday mornings, so I was able to play quickly since no one was in front of me. I would never play it on a weekend, becuase it would be expensive and take forever to finish.