Forums

Golfing in Illinois

• 532 points

Hello community; This has been the first year that I have purchased the Chicago golf pass and would like some advise from people that may also have one or people that have played in Illinois to give me a heads up on the courses and club amenities of the courses listed in the program. If yo could help or if you wish to get one for yourself the course list is on their page at chicagogolfpass.com Also has anyone played Settlers Hill in Batavia,IL or Swan Lake Resort in IN? I'm wanting to play those as well Thanks for any help.
    • 3627 points

Of the courses I've played:

Arrowhead Golf Club - nothing special.

Balmoral Woods Country Club is pretty solid. 

Bolingbrook - Lot's of people like it, but I can't stand the course. A bad Art Hills course. The clubhouse there is very nice and a monument to a former mayor.

Poplar Creek - pretty bad. Lots of water.

"Crane's Landing" Golf Club - The old Linconshire resort course is essentially an executive course that is always packed.

Eagle Ridge - The General is really good.

George W. Dunne National - A very good forest preserve course, but tee times are very hard to come by and any time after 9:00am on the weekends mean a 5+ hour round.

Golf Club of Illinois - Not too bad. 

Mistwood Golf Club - I think this is closed this year for renovations.

Odyssey Country Club - so-so.

Orchard Valley Golf Course - so-so (same designer as Odyssey).

Prairie Landing Golf Club - I like Prairie Landing, a fun RTJ, Jr. course worth checking out.

Ruffled Feathers - The only "Dye" course in IL, this is a hot mess. Too many homes/condos WAY too close to the holes...it's not a very nice experience.

Stonewall Orchard - A nice Art Hills course which has no housing on the course and has some nice holes. People complain about the 18th hole because of a blind second shot on a par-5...but it's not that bad.

Water's Edge - pretty underrated with some nice holes. 

Whisper Creek - Boring.

•  

There are many decent courses in the area and you may find one more appealing than I or anyone else would. As a preference, I have enjoyed playing Arrowhead, Bolingbrook, Orchard Valley,  Prairie Landing and Ruffled Feathers as some of these have been used for CDGA and USGA qualifying tournaments. I have found another site that you may want to consider for your golfing rounds: www.golfnow.com/chicago.

Hit' em straight

-ICONs for ALL

• 3627 points

I'll 2nd GolfNow.com as a good place to search out discounted golf in IL. 

Also, check out Ravisloe south of the city for a very fun Donald Ross classic golf course. Until 2009 Rav was a private club (90+) but it ran into financial issues and opened to the public. It can be walked for about $50 on the weekends which is a great deal for Chicago.

•  

I tend to play most of my IL golf on the north side of town, a few of my favortes are:

Steeple Chase

Thunder Hawk

Cantigny

Shepherd's Crook (as long as the wind is blowing west)

• 3627 points

shaun13

I tend to play most of my IL golf on the north side of town, a few of my favortes are:

Steeple Chase

Thunder Hawk

Cantigny

Shepherd's Crook might the best value in town. ~$25 to walk on weekend afternoons on a very good (and usually empty) golf course...a nice deal.

•  

PatCCraig

shaun13

Steeple Chase

Thunder Hawk

Cantigny

Shepherd's Crook might the best value in town. ~$25 to walk on weekend afternoons on a very good (and usually empty) golf course...a nice deal.

Agreed, and the course is always in fantastic shape.

•  
    Welcome to the site..... Try The Glen Club. It's in Glenview and built on an old air force base, though you'd never know it. Having grown up in Chicago, there are so many places to go play. And while I agree with Pats overall assessment, only you can say if you like a place or not. Some on his list I agree with, some I do not. But that's the fun of golf, everyone feels differently about how a track plays. Get out and try them all!
    • 532 points

Thanks for all the great ideas my friends and fellow golf lovers. Now I just have to wait for the rain to stop and a few good days off to play. See you on the course
    • 3627 points

Tar Heel
    Welcome to the site..... Try The Glen Club. It's in Glenview and built on an old air force base, though you'd never know it. Having grown up in Chicago, there are so many places to go play. And while I agree with Pats overall assessment, only you can say if you like a place or not. Some on his list I agree with, some I do not. But that's the fun of golf, everyone feels differently about how a track plays. Get out and try them all!

The Glen Club is very good. Problem is that it's ~$175+ to play and most people are hard pressed to find value in it. It's a fun course that's always in perfect shape.

• 225 points

Just played Swan Lake a week ago.. very nice.. greens immaculate as always.. if your a 10 or lower handicap I would suggest the Black course

•  

jimcat

Just played Swan Lake a week ago.. very nice.. greens immaculate as always.. if your a 10 or lower handicap I would suggest the Black course

Welcome to the FJC!

Great track but it is in Indiana :-)

-ICONs for ALL